The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Teaching magic as part of promo? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I was always thinking about doing a newsletter like kinda like. The trick of the week / month where you do a trick, and then teach them how to do it, I mean like super basic stuff.

Wanted to get peoples input on this. more about the morality of it?? Im not talking like AND THIS MONTH were going to learn how to do a clip shift or a confabulous routine, kevn james floating rose. I mean small tricks like how to break a toothpick inside a dinner napkin and hide the other piece inside the dinner napkin fold, or like salt shaker though the table, or how to do a french drop. or all them little ticks I learned off the old Jaw-Droppers video sets when I was younger. haha

I dunno how I really feel about that morally (Magic-wise) but think its a great idea to keep people fallowing my email newsletters.

I dunno, what do you all think? - and is there a better thread to post this is as well?
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
Instead of teaching magic tricks, you could teach puzzle-type of things. I'm thinking of things like I betcha can't grab this rope on each end, then tie it in a knot without removing your hands. That's not really a magic trick because as soon as someone sees you do it, they know how it's done.

Kids love those things because they turn around and do it to their friends. Who is your audience for the newsletter?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do not expose tricks for free, just to satisfy your ego. I remember when you came on the Café for information. Now you think you are a master magician that can teach others, or just expose magic because you know how something is done. I thought you wanted to do shows, why aren't, to hard?

Did anyone give you anything for free. Don't shove thinks in people faces that are not interested.

Don't make me sorry, I gave you any information on magic! You have been warned!
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 13:34, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Do not expose tricks for free, just to satisfy your ego. I remember when you came on the Café for information. Now you think you are a master magician that can teach others, or just expose magic because you know how something is done. I thought you wanted to do shows, why aren't, to hard?

Did anyone give you anything for free. Don't shove thinks in people faces that are not interested.

so if I show someone how to make a toothpick vanish by taping it to the back of their thumbnail, (Same thing mr MINDFREAK showed on tv.) then that's me thinking I'm some master magician shoving info into peoples faces that don't want it?
They signed up for my newsletter, so obviously there is an interest in me, or my magic. But I don't want to veer way off topic, Please PM me if you would like to continue.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 12:43, Karen Climer wrote:
Instead of teaching magic tricks, you could teach puzzle-type of things. I'm thinking of things like I betcha can't grab this rope on each end, then tie it in a knot without removing your hands. That's not really a magic trick because as soon as someone sees you do it, they know how it's done.

Kids love those things because they turn around and do it to their friends. Who is your audience for the newsletter?

I think your onto something with this.
However my taget audience is not going to be kids. My target audience is a much older, sophisticated, yet "hipster" crowed. hahah (I had 1 of my clients in mind typing this, had to throw in hipster.)
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Phil Blackmore
Puzzles like that can be good for adults too. Paul Zenon did a book of them aimed at adults..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/18422292......ail?pd=1
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Giving away magic is a bad idea.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi Derek,

My answer is not just aimed at you so please don't take it personally.

I don't like teaching any Magic to a Student if I'm not present to teach and guide the student.

That means watching them try it and telling them if they flash and watching it again and telling them if they are acting sneaky or rushing or stating the obvious etc...
Real teaching is a lot of work. I'm not against it if you are willing to take on the responsibility.

People who go to a Magic lecture have to pay quite a bit and be connected enough to a Magic culture to know where to go and such.
Magic DVDs can be watched over and over with the benefit that many of the people putting them out are world class Magicians and Teachers.
People who read Magic Books (even from a Library) had to go to the trouble of checking out the book and reading it.
If you are not present as a teacher there needs to be some commitment on the part of the student to get secrets.

My friends and I do trade Magic secrets back and forth but you can bet if I show a friend how to do a good Effect I'm going to weigh in on how well they are succeeding because I don't want them ruining good material that I'm likely doing. My friends seem to feel the same way.

It's not a perfect system of Magic Secret dissemination and it is filled with contradictions but maybe we should leave it to the Magicians with real experience to do the teaching to committed Magic Students and not teach Magic to the public at large without providing some ongoing guidance.

I know I'm in a minority on this because it is a common practice.

Tell you what. Only expose the Magic Effects you invent.

-Mary Mowder
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Great post, Mary!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do a Summer school class where I teach 8 simple tricks to 8 to 12 year old kids. They pay me for it, and it stimulates kids to be interested in magic. That's about as far as I will go.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Any adult interested in learning magic tricks can easily google search for tons of them. If you offer simple tricks they will probably not be very impressed and your idea may backfire on you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just don't see the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I like the puzzle idea, Riddles, fun facts or optical illusions better for a printed handout like a Big Dollar.

-Mary Mowder
hady.87
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of hady.87
Its a silly idea to teach magic just because the registered to your newsletter
www.hadyakiki.com
will turn your mind upside down
yankay37
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
176 Posts

Profile of yankay37
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 13:34, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Bill, I agree with you... and I wonder.. how do you feel about Penn & Teller exposing tricks?
Or all the "teachers" on youtube??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Teaching magic as part of promo? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL