The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flash Coins Re-Lit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Alwow, keep the faith, there are lots of moving parts on this one.

I showed my wife this trick early on, and the first piece of flash paper bounced off the coin and into the other pieces of flash paper sitting on the table, and the whole thing went up in flames! She told me I probably shouldn't do this particular trick.

:)
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Yeah I noticed you were using fairly large pieces I've went with smaller pieces and they work pretty well. As they say practice makes perfect and performing is where you learn the most for us magicians. Each performance I do I always have come away with several things to improve upon from my previous performance. Good luck to you and keep those extra pieces away from the bouncing fire balls. Smile
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
ArturoZ.
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
59 Posts

Profile of ArturoZ.
Great job! I just ordered a 3CF can't wait! Love this routine, very visual.
go4relax
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of go4relax
Hi there, great work on the routine!

May I ask you something slightly OT?
On Metal 3, Eric names the coin purse he uses, but I don't understand a word and so I can not find it on the net.
I like it, because the Clips are inside.

Anyone Out there to help an austrian amateur out ?

Thy guys and keep ist going Smile
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I am using the "Large Pressure Release" Ton Onosaka Purse

On Metal 3 Eric is using the "Regular Pressure Release" size with half-dollar coins.

Stevens Magic has them all, and Flash Paper
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Here it is at Stevens:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=112102

And at Seo:
http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/220
(ithe same purse is called "small" at Seo)
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
They are absolutly incredible purses.
I have several of them in different sizes.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Nice work Bill!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of webtech
I would like to see a video of someone performing this before some spectators. It's a risky trick to perform and I don't think there are many people out there actually using this in front of a live audience. Except maybe Eric Jones. Do you all think it's too risky to perform live? Just wondering. I see lots of people discussing how difficult it is to get the flash paper right. And it has a lot of sleights and gimmicks. Is there anyone here who has performed it in front of specs? What were the results? Any mis-handlings?
go4relax
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of go4relax
Thx guys, I am already searching for those in Europe.
Kinda expensive to deliver from the US.

Thx a lot guys.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 08:54, webtech wrote:
I would like to see a video of someone performing this before some spectators. It's a risky trick to perform and I don't think there are many people out there actually using this in front of a live audience. Except maybe Eric Jones. Do you all think it's too risky to perform live? Just wondering. I see lots of people discussing how difficult it is to get the flash paper right. And it has a lot of sleights and gimmicks. Is there anyone here who has performed it in front of specs? What were the results? Any mis-handlings?

Great questions. I have performed this maybe a dozen times for living humans, and the risk is worth the reward. On the risk side, I have burned the **** out of myself, that paper gets REALLY hot. I don't think you will ever hurt a spectator however. And you can't do this walk around, you will need a table. On the reward side, I can tell you the audience reaction is HUGE. People are FASCINATED with this. Especially the first couple of productions. I am hoping to work out the 'vanish' side of the effect better. Overall I would encourage you to give it a try. Start with a mirror and become familiar with your flash paper, let us know how it goes.
SPONGE KONG
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of SPONGE KONG
Great effect ! I see you have been putting the time into this amazing routine . Out of all 3 DVDs this to me is the best and most visually stunning when performed right, I have been working on this myself and will take on board your suggestions for the paper as I barely have a carpet left and the dog won't come near me!! Ke up the good work.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Quote:

I showed my wife this trick early on, and the first piece of flash paper bounced off the coin and into the other pieces of flash paper sitting on the table, and the whole thing went up in flames! She told me I probably shouldn't do this particular trick.

:)

Made me smile. I could so see my wife saying that to me.
Philip Busk
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 21:19, Philip Busk wrote:
Made me smile. I could so see my wife saying that to me.

Thanks Philip! This is kind of like like the bullet catch or something. Don't become a magician to meet girls...

On a safety note I have found out that:

(1) don't fold or twist your paper ball too much, keep them loose and full of air, and they will burn much cooler, and

(2) aim for your palm, not your fingers. Your fingers tend to catch and hold the burning ball, while your palm keeps the hot spot moving.

Also a couple of people have asked where to get the flash paper, go here:

http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce......._related

I am getting the 12 packs of 8 x 9 sheets and cutting them up into 1 x 2 inch pieces

this is 12 x 4 x 32 = 1536 pieces for 100 bucks. do you NEED 1536 piece? With live fire for practice time probably.

they are kinda picky about shipping, you might want to tell them you are an adult magician not some kid. Unless your are a kid.

I would definitely not tell then you are trying to catch burning balls of flash paper.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Just in case everybody wasn't sick of this yet, here is my latest version:

http://youtu.be/TuENBx7A02w

I tried to fix some of the previous problems that people pointed out.

I still wish the part where the first two coins melt together was better, happy to hear ideas about that part or anything else.

Unfortunately I'm still saying "just like that" in a few places. Smile
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
I think its easier to perform when stand up Smile
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4649 Posts

Profile of videoman
It looked fantastic IMO Bill!!!
I loved your flash appearances. Great timing and extremely magical.
Nice work!
Joni River
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joni River
I use a Dream coin to do my version of this trick. I say that the flame of the candle is the door to the unknown dimension, but that I need three igniters (papers) to take something from it. I take the flash papers from the purse and show it empty (i show that its completely empty) then take it appart on the table. I produce 3 coins and then make dissapear in the flame. . Finally I blow to the flame and take the smoke with my hand, to the purse.
If someone wants to see it I can send you a link .
Regards

Jonathan
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4960 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have done many fire effects (fire wallet, fire Bible double barrel glow plug shooter, single barrel cap ignited shooter, flash cotton, flash string...) even firing from behind the bar and into the crowd (above their heads) as a means to grab everyones attention and never (knock on wood) had a single problem. I also spit massive fireballs with 151 rum and used to have a fluid that when soaked in a cotton ball would burn upward only and could be rolled all around your hands front and back and even placed on your tongue and placed inside your mouth safely. I guess my point is... people are absolutely fascinated with fire and you just got to know its limits and use it to your advantage. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
In response to webtech, I have been performing this for years, since I first saw Chad Long's lecture way back when (perhaps a hundred or so times for paying customers) and have never had an issue with the effect. It plays great (people are inherently fascinated with fire), and people are always impressed. I started out using a slippery sam, but now I use a TT gimmick, and have played with various ways to vanish the coins, generally (but not always) vanishing the last coin with flash paper. This trick is definitely one of my favorites to perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flash Coins Re-Lit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL