The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Memorized Deck Effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1944 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I am a late comer to memorized deck and thus I lack the knowledge of some great effects out there.

I think Ramón Riobóo's The Five Senses and Darwin Ortiz's The Zen Master are very nice effects. I am also reading Mnemonica and Simon Aronson's books, and found a couple of great effects which I want to try.

What is your favorite memorized deck effect?

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
I believe there is a separate forum for this.
But so long as I'm posting I'll say that I enjoy the routine where you or the spectator cuts the deck wherever they like, and you can 'just feel the deck' and tell them how many cards they cut.
I haven't memorized any stacks, (Though they should work fine for this.) I just used Chased Deck order.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
973 Posts

Profile of helder
Mnemonocosis from Mnemonica and his ACAAN : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av4O_TEm0T8
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Mnemonicosis is a marvel, though the revelation of an apprently thought of card is hard to improve upon.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
My favorite mem deck effect is Aronson's "Past, Present, Future" using the card in wallet finish.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
311 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Mnemonicosis and ACAAN from Tamariz's mnemonica.
So much to do, so little time . . .
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I find that most of my favorite effects with the memorized deck are ones that are not normally associated with performing with such stack. Imagine how powerful "Out of Sight Out Mind," "Lie Detector," or even "Triumph" would be with a memorized deck. I will also be false shuffling/cutting along the way with an idea from Denis Behr's books called "Finding the Way Home." I urge you to look that up. Eric Mead also has some great ideas in his book Tangled Web where he stresses the importance of creating an image of disorder to the audience and points out a few ways to achieve that look of randomness during the course of shuffling, dealing, and replacement.

After I accustom the audience that the deck is legitimately shuffled, or so it may seem, I then finish with an effect that DOES rely on knowing the order of the cards. This may include, as many have suggested above, Juan Tamariz's Mnemonicosis or even a very simple location effect.

What I have found over the course of performing with the memorized deck is not to repeat tricks that are stack-related, one after another unless the method is well concealed. As mentioned in Eric Mead's book: "Added to this is the uncomfortable fact that many of the effects with the stack are so direct that smart spectators will often begin to speculate that 'order' has something to do with what they're seeing" (pg.90). I hate to say this, but sometimes we as magicians have to think LIKE magicians because after all, spectators are not stupid. It is important to weave effects that do not rely on the order of the cards (as explained in the first part) ALONG with ones that do.

Hope this helps!
Charles
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Charles, Your advice is RIGHT ON!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Steve Ehlers Three Card Location is a serious fooler and one of the best memorised deck effects I know of.

S
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
My formula for using the memorized deck is simple:

1. Let a spectator shuffle the deck.
2. Do some great magic that doesn't require a memorized deck--and that requires additional spectator shuffling.
3. Indetectably ring in the memorized deck. (See http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=72 )
4. Do an effect that doesn't require a memorized deck, but retains the order of the cards.
5. Perform any of the strong effects with a memorized deck that have already been mentioned in this thread.
6. Enjoy the fireworks as the left halves of the spectator's brains explode.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3862 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quite exactly what I do most often Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2551 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On 2013-03-28 14:46, Sean Macfarlane wrote:
Steve Ehlers Three Card Location is a serious fooler and one of the best memorised deck effects I know of.

S

That's one of my favorite memdeck effects, too. I don't know how much it differs from the original write-up, but I use the one from Ackerman's 'Las Vegas Kardma'.

Barry's choreography is similar to my own. By starting with a shuffled deck and getting the spectators to shuffle early and often, there is no thought that the deck could possibly be stacked. In impromptu situations, instead of a deck switch, I have an effect which nicely (and quickly) sets up a half-stack. From there I'll do some half-stack stuff or finish setting up the whole stack and do the Ehler's bit. However, the more I use the half-stack the more I prefer it over the full stack. More freedom in genuinely shuffling half the deck AND the ability to do non-stacked tricks with the non-stacked half. The best of both worlds..you know, that old chestnut.

I've been revisiting Mnemonica and focusing on the half stack tricks which I only half paid attention to before--pun intended.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
"As mentioned in Eric Mead's book: "Added to this is the uncomfortable fact that many of the effects with the stack are so direct that smart spectators will often begin to speculate that 'order' has something to do with what they're seeing" (pg.90)."

I have been worried that Zen Master is very much in this class. Any thoughts?

Gianni
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3862 Posts

Profile of JanForster
But Eric Mead offers same time strategies, procedures and handlings to make sure that such thoughts don't come up in the first place! It is a tool, the success you can have with it (which can be devastating, no sleight of hand trick will come close to it...) depends solely from how you structure it, what you add, how you manage and direct your audience and if you can handle cards well. If you have to worry then only about yourself or how you do it. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
The trick I perform the most is 'A Miracle With Cards" by Ed Marlo. It was published in Ibidem.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4952 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Last Laugh by Darwin Ortiz! Killer effect, sure. You can learn the routine from his book/dvd: Scams & Fantasies with Cards.

Watch the effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIRPYI9wb0
YLyoo
View Profile
Regular user
South Korea
108 Posts

Profile of YLyoo
Mnemonicosis
Comlete Chaos

are my favorite tricks(both in Mnemonica)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Memorized Deck Effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL