We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Less is More Now (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Great comments and thoughts here guys. Smile

One thing, Bill Malone is one of the best to me when it comes to closeup period. He's good with all of it, cards, coins, sponge balls, whatever. And he's as good as anyone and better than most because mostly beyond the tricks, he knows how to work a crowd, an absolute master at it that I have had the good fortune to witness for myself. I would rather watch Bill Malone than any such good coin worker or card worker because he can do it all. and does it all. Certainly he can do a good set of card stuff with the best of them but he can sit there with coin guys too and probably be more interesting than most of them, mostly because he's just more interesting than most of them or any such magician just pulling one gun. I've been around elite cardmen like Darwin Ortiz and saw elite coin men like David Roth (who loves card magic) enjoying it to no end, so there is a mutual respect along with a deeper understanding of the magic in it all, cards coins, whatever. I'm just sayin' what I saw out there on my journey. Smile

For me, I feel people (laymen) tire quickly enough of watching anyone just do the same sorta magic over and over and that's why many magis mix it up a bit including me. Part of my "less is more" thinking is that it also allows you to do more of other things. Lately, I have become much better with a deck of cards than I ever have. So now I know a lot more card tricks and of those, I only do a few. So in doing fewer coin effects, I supplement with a card trick or two to break things upand I really think people appreciate the variety and it shows me to be more than just a coin guy. Smile Now, I'm mostly a coin guy but I just don't show myself that way anymore. Typically I show a coin trick, then something with cards now, then a cute closeup effect, and I finish with another coin effect (hey, I am a coin guy first and foremost) Smile and done, moving on to my next hit. Smile

I enjoyed watching Darwin Ortiz do his thing, all cards, he was amazing. I don't see how it can get much better than that for doing all cards but to each his own. I've also watched guys do just coin stuff and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it but I am a coin guy and a magic guy so I come to see it done in such specificity. But laymen, I think would appreciate our greater thoughtfulness as to some variety. It can get tiring quick if you're made to sit in the same seat for long. Smile

And not for nothing and with all due respect to you card guys, many times I think people are much more confused than amazed behind all that twisting and turning and recounting stuff. Many times I feel specs are just following along, a bit lost really but still following. Now you do this sorta stuff to them a few times in a row and its just not registering, not to mention the amount of time it takes. I'm just sayin'. Smile With that, I still like playing with the cards and have found good ways to use them. It's all good. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
153 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 10:45, Mb217 wrote:
And not for nothing and with all due respect to you card guys, many times I think people are much more confused than amazed behind all that twisting and turning and recounting stuff. Many times I feel specs are just following along, a bit lost really but still following. Now you do this sorta stuff to them a few times in a row and its just not registering, not to mention the amount of time it takes. I'm just sayin'. Smile With that, I still like playing with the cards and have found good ways to use them. It's all good. Smile

Makes me wonder if anyone here performs (or has even seen) real Card Magic (?)
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
And the cool Thing About being a coin Guy Is that I can Do a Ungaffed card trick, Do some coin tricks, ( switch Decks! Smile ) And Kill With a Gaffed Card Trick!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 11:00, Card Mechanic wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 10:45, Mb217 wrote:

Makes me wonder if anyone here performs (or has even seen) real Card Magic (?)

And just what would be "real card magic?" Or perhaps you're saying that people like Darwin Ortiz, Bill Malone and dare I say, Ben Train even Smile is not real enough card magic? Personally, I have seen real card magic throughout my years as I would suspect a lot more people here have as well beyond your thoughts about us. Don't mistake my small criticism of card magic as any such ignorance or condemnation of the genre, now that's a real "twist" of the matter. Smile Believe me, I've seen great ones you've heard of and perhaps some you haven't. Anyway, it's all good. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
153 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
At some point {most} Magicians figure out it is not the genre of Magic they are performing, but the way they are performing and the methods they use that make or break a Magical experience. To single out Cards is illogical. Yes, Cards can be tedious. Coins can be tedious. Silks can be tedious. Grand Illusions can be tedious (unless the women are beautiful) and Sponge Balls ARE tedious LOL (but I digress). It is the effects you perform and how entertaining and engaging you are that makes the Magic Moment. Not the Props themselves! Direct, Visual Magic with ANY prop will win an audience.

I'll leave the name dropping for those who need it....

btw... I noticed you did not list books as a resource. May I suggest a great read - Ortiz's book 'Strong Magic'.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Card Mechanic,

I consider myself a pretty seasoned card guy. I've done card magic for 12 years. I have over 50 routines memorized that I can pull out at will, depending on my environment and circumstances, to entertain my spectators. I love card magic. I'm still learning card magic. You won't ever hear me bashing card magic, and I do not think that is the intention of anybody else on this thread. I picked up coin magic in 2008 only because I was getting bored and wanted to learn some new skills that I could practice at work without looking like a weirdo.

I'd have to disagree with you that the genre does not matter. In fact it does matter, because what really matters IS the spectator. There are people that are so sick of card magic that they can't stomach to see another card trick, no matter how cool, and this applies to coins as well. I think it is important to be mindful of each genre's strengths/limitations, and to choose accordingly, again, based on the environment and circumstances. Card magic and coin magic entertain differently, and seem to elicit different reactions, but more on that another time.

Just my .2 cents
Evan
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Knowing your audience is very important in all types of magic.

In the classroom work, mentioned above, there were some middle school students that could watch magic for and hour, while some went back to work on computer stuff. The teachers wanted everyone to give undivided attention.
I told her those that want to do other things is just fine.

Come to think of it, that is just where I am at.(on a computer)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Penn's line - "Pick a card, you're a loser, here it is, you're an idiot."
Seinfelds line - "Here's a quarter, now it's gone, you're a jerk".

I guess it depends solely on the audience point of view. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
153 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
If you are being rejected simply because your audience sees you intend to use a deck of cards, then you are doing something wrong from the very start. Namely, you have not built your Prestige. With proper prestige, your audience will allow you one trick (as a sort of audition) and that first effect can be with Cards, Coins, Dice, Cigarettes, Ice Cubes, Tooth Picks or whatever. With proper Prestige, they assume (and rightly so I hope) that you will show them something they have NEVER seen. Deliver on that first effect, and assuming the rest of your routine is as powerful, you can continue (even) with a deck of Cards. I do it at my walkaround gig every week. Sure, bending Forks, blowing Smoke and floating Bills can break things up a bit but, if you build your Prestige and perform powerful, direct, VISUAL Magic, your audience won't care what your props are even if they are, as in my case, 99.9% Cards!

For me, Magic has two genres... Great Magic, and bad magic.

As far as the 'Less is More' topic goes, I'd say perform QUALITY over Quantity!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think it also has to do with where you start with magic. Coin workers to a card worker are "Look here is a coin and now its over here..." whereas Card workers to a coin worker are "Pick a card, any card..." These are extreme examples but some truth to the logic, Its hard to concentrate and learn both together and do very well at it. I don't mean it cant be done, just that when people find their comfort zone - they tend to stay there and not wander too far. I did very little with coins for years (and mostly self working gaffs) Now that I am disabled and have all this time on my hands, I have decided to jump the fence and learn coin magic. I find it a lot more interesting than I did in the past. That doesn't mean I am giving up on cards by any means, I am just expanding my show so to speak. I have also got rid of many items I never used or don't any more narrowing my magic to cards, coins, TT's and sponge balls basically.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 11:39, Card Mechanic wrote:

I'll leave the name dropping for those who need it....

btw... I noticed you did not list books as a resource. May I suggest a great read - Ortiz's book 'Strong Magic'.

Not "name dropping" just clarification as to reality for those that like to say, "Show me some ID." Smile Figured if I let you know where I been, then you wouldn't need to wonder if I had a good Classic Palm or could do decent DL or Elmsley. Smile Maybe not, huh? Smile

And no, you may not suggest Ortiz' book here, since many here have read it and have suggested it to others from right here in this forum for years now. It's like suggesting we try oatmeal or perhap visit a library and leave those DVDs alone. Smile Just because I didn't mention books don't mean we haven't read any, especially the good stuff, C'mon man! Smile I assure you, many here are quite well read, not just on coins but on magic in general as it may pertain to relative genres such as cards, magic history and players in the art. Heck, we have people here that write books, that includes coins, cards, closeup, whatever. We're an eclectic bunch like that. Smile You'd be quite surprised as to the things some of us here have written about, quality stuff too, if I must say so myself. Smile

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Mb has not only read a book or 2 but I wouldn't be supprised if he wrote one someday. I know I would buy the first copy.
:bluebikes: & Smile See cards and coins can get along. Smile

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I hope we can all agree to: Happy Holidays To All (weather we agree or disagree on a thread once in a while.) Smile

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Less is More Now (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL