The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Latest and Greatest for Hobbyist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
I second Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas.

As a hobbyist I really like Stitched by Alexander Kolle (some work required though) & Slide by DeMon and Titanas (some sleight of hand required).

Not from the past year (so you may very well do some or all already), Rattled by Dan Hauss requires very little practise and gets good reactions, the trick 'Design for Laughter' (and others from TRRtCM) is very easy to do (be careful it doesn't get long winded), and the street scam 'Fast and Loose' is easy to do and always goes down well (and is a good lead-in to the 3-card Monte, the aforementioned Stand Up Monte and/or Eddie Fechter's "Be honest - What is it" - often incorrectly referred to as David Blaine's 2-card Monte).
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1874 Posts

Profile of Platt
Almost forgot (actually, I did forget) to put Max's Mental Killer on the list. If you carry your phone everywhere you go you carry MK everywhere you go. Brilliant.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Bande
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Bande
I am pretty much in the same boat as op. FWIW my favorites (no real order): ultimate self-working card trick dvd; esperfect by nardi; rattled; takes spme effort but I loved practicing 3 shell game.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Not new, but "Extreme Burn" by Richard Sanders will change your life! I would go for 2.0 because the "special something" is better.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Not new but still one of the best IMO: liquid metal by morgan stebler
trinity loop system
the perfect dye from ProMystic (looks like a small regular dye) just wonderful

and last but not least: Rasmus Haunted Deck Smile)) because it is my reputation maker and people just love it
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
After all the magic I've seen and owned, Fiber Optics still is one of my favorites.
Nat
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Nat
SkyCap
and
Risky Bet

Great Reactions!
Jedo
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Jedo
"Gambler" from julien labigne, nice plot beautiful object.
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
949 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 16:58, Nat wrote:
SkyCap
and
Risky Bet

Great Reactions!

Wow cool, awesome to see SkyCap on that list Smile

luke
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1420 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
These are the top 9 as voted for by our visitors and the our magic demonstrators:

http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2012/11/best......012.html

Hope this helps and wishing you a wonderful Christmas

Dominic
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 20:50, Dominic Reyes wrote:
These are the top 9 as voted for by our visitors and the our magic demonstrators:

Dominic

sorry dominic, but I don't think, that this was asked or discussed in this thread. just what the magicians like, not what was best selled by the magicshops.

your list doesen't really mirror the reviews here in the café.

a well selled product doesen't mean (happy customers)

imo

btw: this is one outtake from your website (best magic tricks of 2012)

spider pen pro by yigal mesika

Using invisible thread is very much like marmite, you either love it or hate it. Thread effects can be amazing, but the prospect of fiddling around with thread puts off so many magicians, The Spider Pen Pro gets in the list because it helps bridge this gap, between effect and method. It opens up so many new ways to use thread, that watching the DVD that comes with it, is as eye opening as actually using the item. The magic shop gets more thank you emails and letters about recommending this item than any other thread device. Yigal is the king of threadwork worldwide, and his spider pen delivers on all it's promises. It's still not self working, and requires practice to use smoothly, but it's a just about the most trouble free way to hook up your thread and reset when performing.

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
That's a good point Rasmus, and the reason the winners were not picked simply due to sales volume.

Your spot on that a good selling product doesn't make it a good one. If it were that easy to sort the wheat from the chaff, we could all pick the best tricks just by looking at page views Smile

All the best as always
Dominic
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Yepp my friend Smile

www.rasmusmagic.ch
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I'm surprised that no one has picked up nor mentioned the fact that the latest and greatest for hobbyists is pretty much the same for magicians. Or, I fail to understand the difference between a dealer selling hobbyist tricks, and magician tricks. Smile

If you are looking for the latest and greatest, I am sure you will find so much more in the "Latest and Greatest" forum. That's my best unbiased advice I can give. But if you like mentalism, check out Anthony Black's, Secret 2.0.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Smile

www.rasmusmagic.ch
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Danny,
I'm my experience, there can sometimes be quite a difference between tricks that casual, or recreational magicians enjoy, and those picked by working magicians.

A few factors that can influence this include:

Reset time (suitable for table hopping?)
Set up required
Length of routine and spectator engagement required.

Another big factor can be the perceived value/quantity of the props/gimmicks included.

It can sometimes be the difference between looking at a trick as a toy, or as a tool.

Unrelated: I was at a gig before the weekend and recorded a quick tip that came to mind that you may like:
http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2012/12/how-......ple.html
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 20:57, rasmus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 20:50, Dominic Reyes wrote:

Dominic

sorry dominic, but I don't think, that this was asked or discussed in this thread. just what the magicians like, not what was best selled by the magicshops.

A cheeky Christmas plug by Dominic for magicshop.co.uk there.

Give him his due though, he's given the magic community lots of valuable information for free this year. I liked the one about misdirection.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I can not recomend high enough Dan Harlan's "Stash" I saw the potential in this when it first came out, and I was NOT dissapointed. Dan has outdone himself on this one. The man ALWAYS puts out good stuff!

Now I am going to also reccomend that you go to Penguin Magic and check out "Scratch" by Chad Long. Just released. but I can see very plainly the genius in this. The
method didn't fool me, because it uses a long established utility move that I use quite often, and though it may not fool magicians, I can guarantee this will fry spectators. And if you haven't yet mastered the move, you can pick up on it quickly, because it is so "natural" and you will find your creative streak piqued by the myriad possibilities.

Gotta love it!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Nat
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Nat
Definitely add:

Cannibal by Kevin Reylek - without a doubt one of the best purchases of the year!
auriuspd
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of auriuspd
Can't forget this item. Way overlooked and competes with the best by Promystic and other high end producers. It just took me a few weeks of practice and now I put it in my 8th set. Two hours of nonstop laughter and suspense guaranteed . A real reputation maker. Packs slightly bulky and plays big. Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/9oLK8t0IAn8
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Latest and Greatest for Hobbyist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL