The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Magic Pendulums 3: Masterworks - A Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
Well I havnt seen one yet here on the magic Café, so I thought I would put in my 2 cents, and give my opinions and a review on David's new book. This is a great little treasure trove, well not exactly little at 106 pages, but full of little treasures none the less.

Just like the last 2 books this one is liberally sprinkled with Dave's quirky humor, thoughts, and (of course) footnotes; which I have enjoyed throughout the series, and have either left me smiling or gave me something extra to think on.

Now lets get down to the nitty gritty.

There is a great forward on Mentalists and Mentalism penned (ok technically its typed) by Mr Osterlind. A bit lengthy for an introduction, but the elaboration was definitely important to get the point across on a topic that is definitely of importance in the art these days.

Mr Cassidy offers up some nice tips on pendulum use in general in this volume, has some suggested reading for those of us that are "not exactly of veteran status", and includes a simple but effective effect on map dowsing.

The infamous Neal Scryer also offered up an effect for this book titled "Masterpiece". Now I have have to admit; I have not been fortunate enough to obtain much of Mr Scryer's work, but the few routines that I have read of his have hit right up my ally on both presentational and methodological levels. However, I didn't much care for the presentation of the offering in this book. It was the underlying principle that caught my attention (and this is true for several of the routines in this book, and one of the things I love most about it, the structures and principles used can be applied in so many different ways). The versitility of the way its constructed is something I can and will definitely use.

It is Luca Volpe's effect "Dark Night" marks the first of the effects in this book to venture over to the darker, spookier style of presentations. For me it was the spooky and bizarre that drew me to mentalism. As with many great effects; the simple handling leaves you free to focus on the wonderful story, and drawing your spectator into the presentation. This is an effect I can definitely see myself using with on a couple of minor tweaks.

It was TC Tahoe that wrote one of the two main routines that stood out to me in this book."Drinking the Moon" Its a perfect fit for me. A great story set right here in the south, uses a pendulum (whats not to love about pendulums), tarot cards, and a kicker reveal at the end! This is one I can definitely put to use as is.

My standout favorite, for a few reasons, is Joe Leo's "A Test of Time". Absolutely great story, there are no moments of ill-logic everything makes sense, the routine builds through a couple of stages before flowing right into one of my all time favorite book tests LVN@, and then comes full circle to finish out the original routine. Not only is this great story telling, but if not rushed this could easily fill an entire evenings performance. I love Joe's thinking on this piece. the way everything flows as one cohesive unit instead of being segmented into a string of minorly related effects.

Mr Amira also contributes a little beauty of a routine to the book called "Pendulum of the Tarot". It kinda struck me as the reverse of Mr Scryer's in that I loved the presentation, but the methodology doesn't really suit me. this is one that I will probably work on a different handling to achieve the same result of this piece.

David's own contribution, "Queen of Hidden Desire", is another nice one. Although it strikes me as similar in plot to Mr Amira's routine, there are some big differences in presentation. Haha, and now that I think of it, his handling is somewhat similar to what I have in mind to accomplish the presentation Mr Amira offered.

When I first started reading Dr Bill's "Spin the Spook Spell", I didn't think it was going to be one that I would care for, but I decided to go ahead and give it a read through. It was the extra thoughts at the end that changed my mind about it, and showed me that it had the same kind of versatility that I was talking about in Mr Scryer's routine. After reading though the whole thing there were at least a half dozen different ways of presenting this effect that came to mind. Glad I didn't just discount this routine.

Paul Prater's "Dowsing for the Dead" provides us with yet another great story. Paul definitely has a knack for spooky stories and bizarre effects. Even though I don't see myself using this particular routine there are some great ideas in it. The story is what I liked most about it though. I LOVE a good story, and this one fits the bill, and is easily adaptable to fit other effects.

And Finally David winds up the book with some of his own thoughts on using pendulums (and performing in general) in a professional capasity. SOme great advice in here as well

Well there it is. My opinions and thoughts on the gems contained within the pages of David's new book. I personally got quite a bit out of it, and feel that it was worth every dime and then some.

have a very Merry Christmas everyone

TJ
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Thank you for your thoughts, TJ. I appreciate your time.

Personally, I always prefer to include routines that are a) simpler to do without complicated lists or difficult handlings and b) adaptable to many different presentations. All of us are different performers. Neal Scryer's routine for example: I started performing my version of it within a few weeks of reading it. What I do is vastly different from what he suggests...but is still fundamentally his idea.

All the routines in this book are, one way or another, like that. You're never locked into a specific idea. We are creative people...and the stuff we do needs to be able to support that.

I'm glad also that you appreciated the genius of Joe's routine...although he is now going to be impossible to live with. Smile

Thanks again, TJ.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5114 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Great review TJ Halford.
Glad that you can enjoy all those ideas and surely, you can came up with your own adaptation of my piece and if you want to share some thoughts just contact me.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
My Pleasure David.

I enjoyed the book very much, and have already read through it a third time to make sure I didn't miss anything.
TJ Halford

ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
623 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Wow, thanks TJ! I was afraid folks would just look at the length of my contribution and move on so I'm glad you understood that it's presented as a performance and not a single piece. David was very generous in allowing me to give y'all some insight into the way my storytelling works. In fact, that's one of the things I like best about the book: it gives some real insight into the creative processes of some of the best in the business and their odd guest (*cough*). You really seemed to get that in your review. Not every effect will suit every style but there's something to be gleaned from each regardless. If you walk away with one good idea from every routine in a book then that book is worth its weight in e-gold. I also have a version of this 'evening' that I use with Ipswich so let me know if you ever decide to go there. Again, I am humbled by your review and am grateful that you took the tie to give this book the credit it deserves!

Warmest regards,
Joe
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
Thanks for the kind words Joe. I couldn't agree more that EVERY contribution has something that can help to improve or inspire the reader.

And yes, after all the goodies I was able to invest in this christmas, Ipswitch is very close to the top of my want list. I will definitely be in touch.

Everyone have a great new year

TJ
TJ Halford

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
How many books bring names like Osterlind, Cassidy, Amira, Prater, Tahoe, Volpe, Leo...and Neal Scryer under one cover -- with each one offering fresh material?

The responses from you guys have been wonderful. But they've mostly been in email. It would be splendid to hear from some of you here. (hint hint...Smile )

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
507 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Thank you TJ for the excellent review of David's ebook. I purchased it last November and am still re-re-re-reading it. It is absolutely terrific, filled with gem after gem. As David himself points out, where else can you find material from so many creative names in one place? Yes, its that and much more. I particularly liked Bob Cassidy's contribution. Paul Prader's "Dowsing for the Dead" and Luca Volpe's effect "Dark Night" have my vote for best great spooky stories. The bios for each contributor are a nice touch.

One thing TJ didn't mention is the price, which David has set at the ridiculously low - at 39.95 USD. I purchased, and highly recommend, David's Pendulum Magic bundle which includes: "A Guide for Mystery Performers", "Pendulum Magic: Routines for Mystery Performers", Masterworks for mere $79.95 USD.

Thank you David for publishing these.
- Yitzhak
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
richard_mentalism
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of richard_mentalism
Is this book suitable also for beginners? (Beginners in mentalism, however experienced in magic.)
Thanks.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3054 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 11:22, YitzhakNoDice wrote:
Thank you TJ for the excellent review of David's ebook. I purchased it last November and am still re-re-re-reading it. It is absolutely terrific, filled with gem after gem. As David himself points out, where else can you find material from so many creative names in one place? Yes, its that and much more. I particularly liked Bob Cassidy's contribution. Paul Prader's "Dowsing for the Dead" and Luca Volpe's effect "Dark Night" have my vote for best great spooky stories. The bios for each contributor are a nice touch.

One thing TJ didn't mention is the price, which David has set at the ridiculously low - at 39.95 USD. I purchased, and highly recommend, David's Pendulum Magic bundle which includes: "A Guide for Mystery Performers", "Pendulum Magic: Routines for Mystery Performers", Masterworks for mere $79.95 USD.

Thank you David for publishing these.
- Yitzhak

Thank you my friend,glad you like dark night, has never been published before and I thought was the right routine for this book!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 08:41, richard_mentalism wrote:
Is this book suitable also for beginners? (Beginners in mentalism, however experienced in magic.)
Thanks.

The books are designed to provide a course in how to use pendulums.

The first book "Pendulum Magic: A Guide for Mystery Performers" is the introductory book. It's the book I wish had been available when I was just learning about how to use pendulums as an entertainer. There's a wonderful exclusive routine/essay by Richard Osterlind that lays out a whole system for using pendulums and a wealth of other material.

The second book "Pendulum Magic: Routines for Mystery Performers" focuses on the presentation of a pendulum routine. It deals with how they are routined and presented to the the audience. There are wonderful routines and concepts here, including a brilliant "move" by Bob Cassidy that I've never seen anywhere before. If you are interested in the nuts and bolts of presentation -- along with a mastercourse in storytelling this is the book for you.

The third book "Pendulum Magic: Masterworks for Mystery Performers" ties it all up with some of the finest thinking from some of the top pros in the business. I love this book for two reasons: all the routines are relatively easy to use...and they hit audiences like a freight train. Powerful stuff from names like Neal Scryer, Cassidy, Volpe, Amira, Prater and more. I wanted this book to be about more than routines -- which is why Richard Osterlind's foreword to the book focuses on the presentation of mentalism. I can honestly say that this essay changed the way I perform.

That's it. Forgive the wordiness...but I wanted you to know what we offer. More information is here: http://www.magicpendulums.com

David

www.magicpendulums.com
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
353 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Don't know why I have grabbed these yet, but they're on my agenda! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Magic Pendulums 3: Masterworks - A Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL