The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Contact Mindreading (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
OK guys, you helped me out with the cold reading question, can you help me with this.

What is contact mindreading, and how is it different from cold reading? Smile
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Uh, oh, this discussion is not fit for general discussion. I knew it was just a wording slip up.

Where you might find such an answer IS a valid topic.

I believe Richard Webster might have written on the topic. I would point you toward Ian Rowland, who certainly can give you better answers than I. Private Message him through the board.

Tom Cutts

Publisher, AM/PM...About Magic, Performing Magic
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
As coincidence would have it, I was at the Circle Dealer Day today and picked up a copy of "Master-Mentality" by Stanton Carlisle, which deals with contact and non-contact mindreading.

I wasn't previously aware SC had written a book on this subject, but I shouldn't be surprised - he wrote a great deal of excellent material covering most aspects of mentalism.

I haven't had time to digest the book yet, but if you're interested in the subject it seems a title worth tracking down.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Ian’s suggestion is excellent. The book is considered a classic; however, you should consider getting a copy of Satori’s Making Contact, H&R Magic Books, 1998. This is a straight forward, step-by-step treat on muscle reading. You will find yourself adding contact mindreading to your repertoire. Whichever, book you choose, you will quickly get an answer to your question.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
One of the best mentalism effects I know of is the blister routine from MMM.

It involves muscle reading and after trying several times and talking to other mentalists, I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible.

ha ha ha

I can’t even come close to finding out how to get better at it.

Because of that I have come to the preclusion that contact and muscle reading are beyond normal people’s grasp and haven’t pursued it at all.

Am I wrong here? Is there any way I could do it? Can I benefit from these books?

Jonathan
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Yes Jonathan, you too can learn muscle reading. First, get Satori’s book. Then practice, practice and practice. In the early 80’s, when I asked Orville Meyer, who was one of the Deans of the Art of Mentalism, how can I learn muscle reading? He said DO IT! whenever and wherever you can. At work, with friends, etc. It does work. If you can see any early Kreskin, to see it at work.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
But if I DO IT will I fail all the time and make an idiot out of myself? Can I at least succeed? You recommended Satori’s book, but what are the main books I should get on this topic?

Jonathan Grant
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Failure is half the art! If you can't 'find it' by muscle reading (or the more ferocious title 'HELLSTROMISM') then use that failure as an excuse to attempt again, only with something you know will work. Have them write it down, and peek/ pencil read it.

Chad Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Jonathan,

There is an old saying; "No guts...no glory"

I think that this really applies when it comes to magic, no matter what area you specialize in.

Remember, for everything there is a 'first time'. You will never experience success, without recognizing you're failure's first.

I wish you good luck in this area you have chosen! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
There is a smaller, less expensive (but still extremely informative) book called "Contact Mind Reading" by Dariel Fitzkee, still available from most major dealers.

That might be a better way to go until you’re sure you want to try it. Kreskin made an international reputation with this stuff!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
As I have informed ’Martino’ in a separate email, there is also Ormond McGill’s book on CM entitled "Real Mental Magic" (the edition I have is from Micky Hades publications, 1989). It covers contact mind-reading, non-contact mind reading and telepathy, suggestions and hypnotism, neuro-linguistic programming and other aspects of what OM considers ’real’ mental magic.

Jonathan - don’t get too hung up on this. Nobody is saying you should go out a zillion times and embarass yourself by doing stuff that flops. Here’s the reality.

(1) Yes, you CAN do conact mindreading. Like many things in mentalism, it may take some practice, but it isn’t the huge mountain to climb that some people might make you think.

(2) Just do it. The first time will perhaps not go so well. The next time will be a little bit better. The next time after that, better still. And so on. Let experience be your best teacher. In a year’s time you’ll be superb.

(3) With mentalism, you’ve got an easier ride than with most forms of magic. You can almost ALWAYS preface your trick or routine with "Do you mind if I try something? It sometimes works, with the right subjects and if I’m focused, but not always..." or words to that effect. If it doesn’t work, you laugh it off and move on to somethng else. After all, you made no promises. If it DOES work... great.

It’s the same for stuff like spoon- and metal-bending. If you are using the methods that rely solely on timing and misdirection, the early attempts can be a little nervy and risky. So you issue the proviso, make it clear you ain’t promising anything will happen, and if you get cold feet... you just chicken out! Alternatively, if you can see a clear window of opportunity, you take it and wow, you’re a spoon-bender.

(4) Mentalism is great fun. Enjoy it. Find the stuff and the routines that YOU get a buzz out of performing, and your enthusiasm will convey itself to the specs. Unlike any other branch of the art, you can genuinely change people’s lives in a positive, ethical and healthy way, if only by making them believe in themselves a bit more.

Go for it!

http://www.ian-rowland.com. The most amazing cards in the world and the famous Levitating Cat.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Here is a humble little exercise that will give you a start and help you feel confident that the technique will work. Part of your problem in learning this is that you don’t believe it will work in the first place. You are not allowing yourself to be receptive to the micro-momentary cues that are critical for you to detect to make this work.

OK, get a friend (or someone) and stand at the back of a room. Be centered in the room. Now have the person simply close their eyes and think Left or Right. Have them say it over and over in their head. You are standing to one side of the person. Take their arm and start to lead them into the room. You tell them to trust you, but keep their eyes closed and keep thinking either left or right. As you step off, close your eyes and while you are leading them let them lead you!!

This is hard to describe. Simply feel the resistance. If you step off right and feel no resistance then keep on going, if you feel a slight resistance immediately start going left. The resistance will decrease. After a few steps tell them that they were thinking “Left” or whatever.

Soon you will be able to do this one little bit correctly 100% of the time, with anyone. The principle is the same for locating a card on a table, a book on a shelf, or an identified spectator in an audience.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
CMR is like hypnosis, fear of failure scares most people off. It's not really that hard. You have to just jump in the fire.
Books on the subject, Satori's, Hellstromism, Fitzkees and my It Aint body Building are a help, but real secret is doing it
from
Ford
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
This seems to be an old thread, but here is an idea to get away from the fear of failure. Don't do the excerise to show what you can do. Suggest that the other person might like to see if she can transmit her thoughts to you. Then if you can't find the whatever you are looking for, it is her fault, not yours. You can be understanding and compliment them on their attempt, and you can offer to give her another chance. It just takes practice. She probably will go out of her way to help you find it.

Hal
MANDRAGORE
View Profile
New user
N.Ireland
72 Posts

Profile of MANDRAGORE
i have the book "making contact" by Satori and it is a Gem. Contact mind reading is not as difficult as what people think, it is a bit like pickpocket stuff. You have to give it a go and be amazed.

Ben
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
There is also a good description of this technique (not to mention numerous exercises) in 'Practical Mindreading' by William Walker Atkinson. It also contains some pretty good ideas for routines to boot.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Any reviews??
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Ken- The Atkinson book is nearly a hundred years old and is freely available in the Internet.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Ah.... next month might be a little disappointing...
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Haha Ken you suck !!!

Good enough of a hate comment ? Smile

Seriously though, awesome podcast.
Reader discretion is advised.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Contact Mindreading (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL