The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why do you guyn s like Mentalism ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
For me it is because mentalism seems more mysterious than producing silk scarves from a tube.

It seems to me that mentalism has a more personal impact with an audience member.

-Max
Angel1998
View Profile
Regular user
Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
184 Posts

Profile of Angel1998
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 08:20, Dr Spektor wrote:
What makes you believe we like mentalism?

Because I think just mentalists like this topic " Penny for your thoughts" Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9022 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have been doing things all my life that some consider to be paranormal -- at least "other than normal" -- all without a label. Now folks call me a mentalist. Do I like that? Not sure.

I like what a some Mentalists do, and dislike what a lot of them do. For me, when the driving force is getting paid or getting the next booking the entire process becomes corrupted, but the same can be said of Conjury.

I like what performing Mentalism could be, but is not likely to ever be.

Just my view -- not wishing it on anyone else.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I like mentalism because there's nothing better than telling someone how many sponge bunnies they were thinking of.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 08:02, bevbevvybev wrote:
I like mentalism because there's nothing better than telling someone how many sponge bunnies they were thinking of.

Bahahahahaha! Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Seems like a lot of magicians are chiming in on this topic. Hmmm...
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Are most magicians becoming mentalist
Isn't it an adult area of magic ?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Why I like mentalism?

cause I learned nothing, did not win in the lottery, have a lack of personality and think with a few easy tricks I am very important (when people question my-/mentalism-importance I get aggressive).. also it is nice to meet other people like me - so I am not this alone..
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This entire thing sounds like a trolling question (and replies) to me.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I've been wondering by this question a few years ago.... until I found the perfect reason on Banacheck book:

Theodore Anneman once said: "Mentalism is the grown up form of magic"

When we go to magic show, we see art. Its a fiction and we know it. The deception is momentary. We know that slinky woman-who seemed to change into a tiger, will be taking a taxi home later and tucking in her human kids after the show. We may be fooled by the tricks, but we are not harmed by being fooled, because we know we're watching make believe.

But when we view a mentalist, we are sometimes left wondering whether we have viewed a show or science lesson. Many mentalist, doubting their ability to entertain as illusionist, dress their entertainment in quasi-scientific robes, suggesting that "if you are concentrated on developing your natural abilities as I have, you too could do these wonders." They hint that they illusion just MIGHT BE REAL.
Andrew_Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Andrew_Jeffrey
I agree with you, Miraclemakers, but only when it is done well. I see a lot of people perform 'mentalism' but they are really performing mental magic and I think there is a difference. Hard to define tightly though - I think a lot of it is in the scripting.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9022 Posts

Profile of funsway
Then there is the demonstration of abilities considered "other than normal" by most -- changing views of the impossible that can last a lifetime. What do you call that? Real- not "might be real."

If you are pretending at having special mental abilities as a Mentalist -- then what is it you are pretending at? A mentalism performance for entertainment can leave a "hint of real" because each spectator has some personal experience with an inexplicable phenomenon in "real" life. Additionally, they wish to believe that they are capable of more than being limited by a boring and externally directed life.

trouble is that doing the real thing doesn't pay very well, while faking it seems to provide a living.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I did a show last week for a room full of magicians and their families (Christmas party). After my standard opener, I introduced myself with “I am a Mentalist. Some folks think that’s like a magician, but whereas a magician may pull a rabbit out of his hat, I’m going to pull a thought out of your mind”. (NOTE: I would never use that line for a non-magical audience!)

But it set a good tone for this group. Instead of trick after trick after trick in rapid succession, I did six effects, which actually took more than my allotted half hour (don’t like to do that, but…I was the closer, anyway…)

Even knowing that I’m a member of a magic club, I still got people coming up and asking me personal questions about what I could and could not “see”. I’ve often bragged about fooling magicians with a Svengali deck, but this was a first for me in mentalism.

It truly is a different realm, and magicians “coming over” often just do not “get it” until they’ve literally thrown away the magicians mindset (not an easy thing to do) and realize that “it’s all in the mind”. There was NO/zero/nada “suspension of disbelief”; these were all magicians, they all had at least an idea of what I was doing, and THEY STILL BELIEVED!

Why do I like mentalism? For the same reason I like to keep doing Santa magic. For that particular audience, at that particular time, it was the perfect fit. Children WANT to believe in magic; grown-ups WANT to believe in “something more”. (Even the ones who say they don’t!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1926 Posts

Profile of Lior
I love coin magic more thrn mentalism
You pass coins from hand to hand and
people know that the last one is the hardest.
They feel a lot of emotions. They work with
their brains and use good memories from
the past about the first kiss.
They can tell the diffrence between a good
Tenkai palm and the Goshman pinch.
They feel that I am touching their heats
When I do coins through the table
(The last one is the hardest one)

I love mentalism because most if the magians
do it it the most boring way they can.
And this is because its not about you its about them.
Its not about moves its about people
Its not about fooling people
Its about real magic

Lior
You can buy the selfie card trick only from me
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T23-WDXdiTrD0TpmGeIr8wNYrpGS-mf7/view
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Andrew_Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Having performed both magic and mentalism, I think there are lots of things going for both art forms. I believe, perhaps controversially, that magicians who seek to become mentalists must, if anything, INCREASE their skill and sleight of hand ability.

This is because the slightest hint that you are doing anything suspicious will not be forgiven, while in magic they will forgive it more readily as they 'know it's all an illusion anyway'.

Leaving them wondering about your abilities depends on not even giving them an inkling about methodology, as with so much mentalism the methodology is bold and simple and this frightens the magician in us, but not the mentalist!
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
IMHO:

1) Mentalism is PERSONAL and can have a longer lasting impression

2) Everyone has entertained the thought or wished they could read minds, see into the future, etc

3) It's much more scientific sounding and much more relevant in today's high-tech world.

4) Simon Baker anyone? The Public is gaining more interest in mentalism more so then magic ( thank you Criss Angel for ruining the good classy image of magicians)

5)In my experience, people tend to respond to it better

6)Mentalism, when you practiced for a good while becomes applicable in the real world.

7) It's much more seemingly practical then producing rabbits and silks. A color changing silk routine is nice, but how will that benefit someone?

8) If you make a mistake in mentalism, it doesn't hurt you ( it actually adds credibility).

9) keeping #8 in mind, there are too many BAD magicians. Sure they mean well, but they simply don't have it in them to do the art any justice.

10) If you are like me and don't care too much for children shows, Mentalism is the key to getting in and hanging out with the adolescents and adults.

11) The tools, super portable, inexpensive and easily replaceable... Though it is important to remember, the grey meat between your ears is all you really need. Very low TSA/Homeland Security intimidation is a bonus with mentalism.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Andrew_Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

I think that point 1 is paramount, IBM_usa. I couldn't agree more - we need to feel touched by a performance of ANYTHING to be really moved by it, and this is easier to achieve with mentalism than with magic. There are some notable exceptions of course - Copperfield flying, Eugene Burger's stuff, and other bits that come to mind from TV magic over the years.

Not so sure about the tools being inexpensive though - some of the e*******ic gadgetry and w*****s out there seems exorbitant to me! B*****s, NWs, p**ks, I***xes and envelopes do the job just fine though, I agree!
Angel1998
View Profile
Regular user
Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
184 Posts

Profile of Angel1998
Nice stories guys ;D I like Mentalism because Roy Zaltsman has performed for me a very nice mentalism trick and I suddenly fell in love with mentalism Smile He encourages, supports me to learn Mentalism Smile He recommended me lots of good mentalists to check and see like Richard Osterlind, Banachek, Bob Cassidy, John Riggs,... With me, Roy is my mentor and a friend in Mentalism Smile
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
A Mentalist in more entertaining for the spectator, because reading *their* mind is more about them than finding a card they selected at random. They have no personal connection to the card. The thought is personal, so the effect of "finding the selected thought in the deck of their mind" is more fun for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why do you guyn s like Mentalism ??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL