The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why do you guyn s like Mentalism ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
@ Andrew_ Jeffrey
You don't really need any gimmicks such as the B***, NWs.
Richard Osterlind does a routine in one of his DVD's where he accomplishes the same effect, with.... A PENCIL!!
I like the idea of NWs, B***, etc but you don't really need them. A regular pencil will do just the job.

Cold-Reading is a bonus. You don't need anything other then basic knowledge of Universal living experiences.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
One of the things I like about mentalism is...

You don't have the feeling of being self-conscious of what you are doing. You just do it.

Very little complicated sleights in mentalism.
I love sleight of hand magic, cups and balls, chop cup, etc... However over the years I have started to realize that I am losing some of that dexterity and my motions aren't as smooth as they once were ( could be over-practice or... that self-conscious feeling I mentioned earlier).
My Cups and balls routine is still a hit, but I notice that the sleights are sometimes a little sloppy... Luckily no one else besides me notices that.

But like I said, I am moving more towards mentalism.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
My family has had several members with arthritis... Completely losing dexterity has always been a concern for me in the back of my mind.
I don't have any sign of developing it, yet.
But I am prepared if that does become a reality.... Mentalism, I love thee!

-Guy Jarrett

Mentalist1976CGN
View Profile
New user
Köln/Cologne
23 Posts

Profile of Mentalist1976CGN
I became a mentalist, because I'm a lazy person and I was fed up with carrying tons of props with me. Smile
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Here's an angry version of what was already said: no matter how much art(!) and theater(!) you cram into a magic act, the audience knows that it is still a trick. And no justification, or explanation of "how it works" will change the back-of-their-minds feeling that is it still a trick.

However, mentalism "might" just be real, and, as such, causes a different thought process to occur in the viewer. And this is the reason for repeat bookings!

Lee
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 15:04, Andrew_Jeffrey wrote:
Having performed both magic and mentalism, I think there are lots of things going for both art forms. I believe, perhaps controversially, that magicians who seek to become mentalists must, if anything, INCREASE their skill and sleight of hand ability.

This is because the slightest hint that you are doing anything suspicious will not be forgiven, while in magic they will forgive it more readily as they 'know it's all an illusion anyway'.

I agree completely. The mentalist's sleight of hand skills are on a level with those of a professional card cheat. There aren't many essential moves to learn, but they must be done flawlessly, invisibly, and under the gun. (Parenthetically, that's why I think that Erdnase is essential reading for mentalists- not for the card moves, but for the psychology of cheating under fire.)

Too many people, I think, get into mentalism because they think it's all self-working stuff. That may be true of a lot of the commercially available material out there, but when it comes down to the real ART of mentalism, it's all about skill, psychology, logical disconnects, showmanship, audacity and pure nerve.

Nothing simple about it at all.

Good thoughts,

Bob
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's a very big question. Why mentalism?

In three words: "Because it's beautiful." Three more: "Because it's elegant." And only a few more: "Because it touches people on a deep personal level and creates a bond between performer and audience that is both beautiful and elegant. The presentation of mentalism becomes something more than a show. It's a journey you take WITH your audience."

When an effect is complete and the audience is utterly silent -- that's bigger than a standing ovation to me -- more satisfying than anything else I've felt in any performance. It means the audience has just seen something that breathes wonder into their lives.

To be the conduit through which that wonder flows? It's a near breathless honor.

I've developed more as a performer doing mentalism than I did in many more years of performing magic. And those who know me know I'm not dissing magic. Not at all. I'm simply saying that for me, the first time I discovered the 13 Steps left me profoundly and happily smitten. It was the performer's version of finally finding a home.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
David-

I think your previous experience in stand-up comedy was very valuable in making your transition to mentalism. I knew you were a "real" performer when I first met you and, I have to say, I'm very proud of how far you have come in mentalism. Thank you for carrying on the best traditions of our art.

Good thoughts,

Bob
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It was very kind of you to write that, Bob.

I appreciate your words (and you) very much. Thank you.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 16:05, espmagic wrote:
...no matter how much art(!) and theater(!) you cram into a magic act, the audience knows that it is still a trick. And no justification, or explanation of "how it works" will change the back-of-their-minds feeling that is it still a trick.

However, mentalism "might" just be real, and, as such, causes a different thought process to occur in the viewer. And this is the reason for repeat bookings!

Lee

Precisely! Ya know, after seeing some of my most treasured effects exposed on YouTube, and The Masked .Douchebag, I almost gave up Magic for good. Then I discovered Outlaw Effect's "L*n@". This has not only changed my whole outlook on Magic, it has affected my FAMILY! They used to chuckle as I changed the color of silks and made them vanish, did coin tricks and packet tricks with cards.

Now, I have been lectured ad nauseum about being "psychic" and scaring the beJEEPERS out of my older sisters. They were truly bothered by my L*n@ performance. One of my sisters...ha! Her husband thinks I'm POSSESSED! ROFL...no WAY could I have done that with coins, cards and silks. Smile

Doug
Crowslide
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Crowslide
Because I connect more to my brain and the thoughts that flow from my mine to yours and back again, than I do to the super neat straw that you just poked through that water bottle without making a hole.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why do you guyn s like Mentalism ??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL