The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Possession /bidit box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Hi all there has been a film realesed called Possession about a magic box. I want to get the book. Does anyone know what the book is called? I have forgoten.
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I don't think the film was based on a book, but the box is a dybbuk box which has an interesting history. Plenty of scope for routines with suggestion alone.

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-dibbuk-box-4184199.html?cat=44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dybbuk_box
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Many thanks Joshua. A good read.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Think spirit cabinet
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 07:52, Tim Dowd wrote:
Try this http://www.amazon.com/Dibbuk-Box-Jason-Haxton/dp/1612480128

That's it Tim. Many thanks for the link. All the best.
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Being Jewish, living in Portland, and nurturing the Yiddish Rav persona, this is great material for me. Thanks for reminding us.

This book reminds me of the 1937 film "The Dybbuk" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dybbuk_%28film%29) which has many Yiddish folklore tales woven in it. If you've ever seen Yiddish film of that era, the actors are from the theatre and overact for the silent screen; for audiences now, it seems a little comical (which is very sad indeed). The story, however, is solid and completely authentic to the belief system.

For similar material try reading "Tales of the Baal Shem Tov" collected by Martin Buber (1947) which contains a version of tale of The Dybbuk; the two volume set has been my inspiration for years. Give it a read!
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 10:19, YitzhakNoDice wrote:
Being Jewish, living in Portland, and nurturing the Yiddish Rav persona, this is great material for me. Thanks for reminding us.

This book reminds me of the 1937 film "The Dybbuk" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dybbuk_%28film%29) which has many Yiddish folklore tales woven in it. If you've ever seen Yiddish film of that era, the actors are from the theatre and overact for the silent screen; for audiences now, it seems a little comical (which is very sad indeed). The story, however, is solid and completely authentic to the belief system.
Many thanks I will look into the very usefull links that you have posted up,all the best.

For similar material try reading "Tales of the Baal Shem Tov" collected by Martin Buber (1947) which contains a version of tale of The Dybbuk; the two volume set has been my inspiration for years. Give it a read!
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
I'm thinking about a Lillian's Jewelry Box...
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 07:52, Tim Dowd wrote:
Try this http://www.amazon.com/Dibbuk-Box-Jason-Haxton/dp/1612480128

I think I'm buying Smile
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
JessicaSilver
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of JessicaSilver
There was a Dybbuk in A Serious Man, as well. (Or was there? It makes for two different movies, depending on which side you view it from.)

Dybbuks and Jewish Women is an interesting read. I was playing around with the idea of a Dybbuk box-based routine, but I don't think it will work for me at the moment. Still, it has some strong possibilities...
Dreaded Mentalist
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Dreaded Mentalist
I've been doing a show inspired by the eBay listing, and history, of the original Dybbuk box for a few years now, mainly around Halloween and a few private viewings. It started off as a cave show in Cheddar caves, but now is a full stage show called The Thirteenth Box, featuring my very own Dybbuk box and cursed artefacts. You can read a review here http://jezstarr.wix.com/thedreadedmental......s-review I was very pleased with it! Smile
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 06:52, Dreaded Mentalist wrote:
I've been doing a show inspired by the eBay listing, and history, of the original Dybbuk box for a few years now, mainly around Halloween and a few private viewings. It started off as a cave show in Cheddar caves, but now is a full stage show called The Thirteenth Box, featuring my very own Dybbuk box and cursed artefacts. You can read a review here http://jezstarr.wix.com/thedreadedmental......s-review I was very pleased with it! Smile

Fantastic read there. Love to see that show. Thanks for sharing. All the best.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 06:52, Dreaded Mentalist wrote:

Can't access on my iPad Smile
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
agetron
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of agetron
Hi Guys - I actually ended up with the Dibbuk Box because of you magicians... or illusionists. One evening, as a special treat for my son, Michael an illusionist visited our home to perform an elaborate magical illusion. He produced what seemed a perfectly ordinary navel orange and allowed my son to examine it thoroughly.

It was just an orange, except when it was peeled, it revealed a whole lemon, and when the lemon was peeled, it revealed an entire chicken egg. Michael then broke the egg over my son’s head, releasing a glittering cloud of confetti. Those few moments of entertainment had required an intricate, highly skilled, and careful setup.

As a rule, illusionists do not share the secrets of their craft, but Michael made an exception this time, showing my son the effort required to create the illusion. Michael and I became friends and found out that we shared many interests. But I didn’t tell him about the Dibbuk Box or its history until one day in January 2004 he came to me with an idea he was having trouble working out.

Michael wanted to create a show that could use his illusionist skills and provide a small income outside his regular salary. Inspired by a ghost tour he had taken in New Orleans, he wanted to develop a walking tour of Kirksville that would focus on sites of ghostly encounters and strange deaths. He and I already walked the streets of Kirksville while I pointed out locations and told him the weird lore and macabre tales I had collected over the past twenty-three
years. Michael wanted to end his tour by inviting the participants into his home, where he would have an illusion set up to culminate the experience with a “paranormal” climax.

His quandary was how to come up with a plausible reason for this sudden “haunting” within his own house. The Dibbuk Box offered what seemed like the perfect solution. By incorporating the story of the Dibbuk Box into his walking tour, he could have a haunting anywhere he chose. After all, the box was in his town and it contained a captive spirit. Knowing the lengths to which Michael might go, I wasn’t sure I wanted to tell Michael about the Dibbuk Box, or whether I wanted to be any more deeply involved with the actual artifact.

So I figured to avoid the issue of having the actual box physically present for Michael’s tour by offering to help him create a replica spirit box, reasoning that Michael was providing entertainment, so his story didn’t need to be the absolute truth.

One day when I arrived at Michael’s home with my son, I was determined to tell Michael about the Dibbuk Box and explain how a homemade knockoff of
the actual artifact could be used to pull off the spontaneous “haunting” he hoped to stage for his walking tour.

I turned to the subject to the Dibbuk Box. I told Michael that, with the right artifact, he could apparently cause a spirit to appear at his command anywhere he liked. Michael was clearly baffled, but I let the words “Dibbuk Box” play in his mind. I had told Michael everything I knew of the Dibbuk Box. He mostly stayed silent as we talked, but now he wanted to know how he could get his hands on this Dibbuk Box. I let Michael know that the “haunted box” was available on an eBay auction, and the auction would continue for several more days. But he didn’t need to buy the actual artifact; he could simply use the eBay image of the box and the description of its contents to build a replica of his own use.

Michael made it clear that he’d consider this option only if the real thing could not be won. I asked him why and he said that when we shared
the story with him, the intensity and the emotion of the telling had the same effect on him as a campfire tale told to a circle of awed listeners.
Michael wanted to tap into that same kind of emotional excitement for his performance, so nothing would do but to display the real object.

Besides, why go to the trouble of recreating something that was already perfect and had a truly eerie history? And if the Dibbuk Box came with a haunting spirit, so much the better, right? Right! His was not a question but a pronouncement of assumed agreement. Michael was making sense; I should have known to use more
caution. Maybe my own deep-seated desire to get my hands on this artifact saw Michael’s statement as the justification for taking the leap I’d
been psychologically avoiding. So I bought the Dibbuk Box!

Click here to view attached image.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Edit

Nice forum,for your first post...on Café!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Wow what a first post agetron, very interesting and look forward to reading more of your post's, all the best.
agetron
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of agetron
Hey Guys,
I am glad you enjoyed the post and the real story of how I ended up with the Dibbuk Box - it might just as easily ended up with one you! Which reminds me, I was going to provide a good replica to Jake Murphree of your group. I planned to drop it off on one of my runs to Florida for Museum business - that is where Jake is from. All was going well - we emailed for a week or so. I was going to do a trade for some one of Jake's fake decayed heads or something like that. His wife learned of the transaction - no big deal - he does this stuff a good bit. Then she read about the Dibbuk Box and truly wanted him to have nothing to do with the replica. He honored her wish (he was a cool guy - it didn't matter to me. Perhaps it was her fear of sympathetic or contagion magic that made her ask her husband not to pursue this one.

From Wiki: "the theory of sympathetic magic was first developed by Sir James George Frazer in The Golden Bough (1889); Richard Andree, however, anticipates Frazer, writing of 'Sympathie-Zauber' in his 1878 Ethnographische Parallelen und Vergleiche. Frazer further subcategorized sympathetic magic into two varieties: that relying on similarity, and that relying on contact or 'contagion'.

If we analyze the principles of thought on which magic is based, they will probably be found to resolve themselves into two: first, that like produces like, or that an effect resembles its cause; and, second, that things which have once been in contact with each other continue to act on each other at a distance after the physical contact has been severed. The former principle may be called the Law of Similarity, the latter the Law of Contact or Contagion. From the first of these principles, namely the Law of Similarity, the magician infers that he can produce any effect he desires merely by imitating it: from the second he infers that whatever he does to a material object will affect equally the person with whom the object was once in contact, whether it formed part of his body or not."

Now here is the strange part of it all - perhaps it is Jewish mysticism - real magic and not pretend or faked tricks. Jake's wife was right to decline a replica - because in hindsight now - Jake might already be tied to the object more than he knows. The one he was to receive was given away.

Funny though... it was exactly this day two years ago (Dec. 28th, 2010) that I contacted Jake Murphree after his post about the Dibbuk Box on the Magic Café. I am only popping in for a bit, so don't expect much more from me after a few more days - for a few years - Smile. Every now and then I will do a Google Searches in the last 24 hrs. to see who is chatting about the object - it sometimes helps in my research - connecting with the truly interested. To prove this is true -- check your archives and here is the header of the email from my communication - 2 years ago.

How is that for a trick? Now by nature you all our likely jaded to think that I have something up my sleeve as it is said but I do not. I wonder if Jake will chime in as we really have had no contact since - respecting his wife's wishes. In a second reply I will attached is the image of the replica offered to Jake at the time. For some reason it will not let me add here - says it is too large.

THE HEADER:
To: theplacentapede@gmail.com
Subject: Replica of the Dibbuk Box images
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:54:45 -0600

“Hey Jake,
I pulled your email off face book as it is easier for me to send information and attachments by this method [hotmail]. I am not a real fan of face book and only use it for family and a few others. Etc. ... (more stuff written)
Jason”

So there it is - you guys have a habit of discussing this artifact in cycles - you decide Dibbuk Box - Real? Or parlor trick??
Best regards,
Jason
agetron
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of agetron
Okay - one more try to attach the replica image!
Enjoy!
Jason

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Possession /bidit box (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL