The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wallet by Shawn Farquhar (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 13:17, Eric Bedard wrote:

And I hate to see a wonderful product released by a great magician get bashed around…

I don’t think that anyone here is actually “bashing” the wallet Eric, but simply being somewhat cautious, and rightfully so, considering the plethora of wallets that are released on what seems to be a yearly basis. Personally, I like this type of wallet as it is the type of wallet I use for everyday use, but in all honesty, and in my opinion, I just don’t see anything here that is all that innovative, and or new. I am in no way shape or form trying to imply that Shawn is not a very innovative and talented magician, which of course he obviously is, but you’ll have to admit that your endorsement/post is quite strong, as it were (considering that it is your first post), and also plugging Shawn’s T2P (which I have) whilst doing so.

Also, and for what it’s worth, I totally agree with many of Shawn’s points and opinions about many of the wallets that have been coming out, i.e. those with a zippered coin compartment in them. I’m 65, and I’ve never seen a wallet with a zippered compartment, nor would I ever use a wallet to place my coins in, but that’s just me. Then again, there are obviously a lot of things this old guy has never seen.

But, hey... if this is the type of wallet and method of producing a card that looks interesting then by all means go for it, and I wish the best of luck to Shawn with his new release. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi again,

Thanks for all the continued feedback.

Jon Allen: The plot you describe is offered on the DVD. It is one I do most often if I am using the wallet as a signed playing card to wallet. Thanks for the offer to film an insert, you're such a great friend.

Craig Dickson: You're always a class act and I don't think there are too many folks that know more about wallet magic!

J-Mac: I was so happy to read that my offerings have never let you down. I try hard to create magic that is for working magicians.

Mark_Chandaue: How does it scream magic prop? It is a very similar in style to a lot wallets in North America? The only thing even slightly magic about it's style is the spade logo. Are you actually saying it looks more like a prop than http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/kapsstylewallet.jpg or http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/jolbillfoldwallet.JPG These are both well accepted magic wallets and I think they cream magic prop. I guess it's a difference in perspective. Maybe it's a geographical thing? Do other folks in the UK think the C2W wallet looks like a prop?

Merc Man: I don't want this to become an argument, as that's not the purpose of this forum. I concede you have your views and it is not my intention to change it in anyway. If you feel I am offering nothing new, then that's your opinion. I do want to clarify a few points though. Yes, I refer to the wallet as C2W many times, which is Card to Wallet. Not just playing cards, but business cards, credit cards and hotel room cards. I mentioned this list twice in my earlier post to make certain it was clear, but I guess it wasn't as clear as it could have been, sorry. I have owned Himber wallets in the past and was not aware of him using it in the fashion you described. I'll go hunting to find this description now, thanks. As for zippers, I guess I have never noticed and a quick Google only showed me biker/trucker wallets that zipped up the entire wallet and none that showed a zippered area as in most magic wallets. That does not mean they don't exist, just that they are not as common. My design is different, but similar style wallets are common as noted by the post directly beneath your reply. Oh and in regards to Houdin's work, I talk directly to this when I discuss the original "card to pocketbook" in the opening of my DVD. His method, handling and design was in no way similar, but yes the plot is the same as the one I show on the trailer. Odd that it has not been expanded since that time. I would also like to make mention that in the trailer I say that the demonstration is the wallet in "it's most basic form". Once again, thanks for your input and I realized when I released my wallet it would not be for everyone. You are a prime example.

Eric Bedard: Thanks for chiming in with your first post on the Café. For those of you not familiar with Eric's work, he's a top professional in my country. He worked for years on cruise ships as CMD, the "Cool Magic Dude" and continues to do top end events around the globe. I am always thrilled when he posts images of himself on facebook with Pamela Anderson, David Foster, Patti LaBelle and others holding T2P's... I could not help but laugh out loud when my biggest fan, Jamie Ferguson, commented with an implied hmmmm. Yes, Eric is a hug fan of the wallet, he bought three! I also laughed hard at Zombie Magic's "lady's purse" line... thanks for starting my day off with a smile.

I continue to welcome input and thanks again for your interest in C2W.

Cheers,

-shawn
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
I think Canada and the US are much alike when it comes to wallets and change. I for one have never owned a wallet that had a compartment for coins. I do know from many travels across the pond where coins are used more on a daily basis, those types of wallets are more common. And while I've never owned one, I have seen wallets with a money clip like the one on Shawn's wallet.

Shawn's comments helped clarify a few things for me. No product is for everyone, but it's nice to have options.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3437 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 13:17, Eric Bedard wrote:
As a full time pro who earns an executive income performing magic, and has for over 20 years, I love this wallet for several reasons:
It is a useful and practical wallet. I don't like most wallets that have no clip to hold bills- this one does.

These wallets may be common in Canada, I have never seen a wallet like it in the UK. I have seen many wallets that resemble both my Kaps wallet and my espionage wallet. I too was a working pro for many years earning extremely good money and I got by perfectly well with my Kaps wallet.

Quote:
This is a wallet for the working pro, or magicians who perform in the real world. I have seen Shawn perform this to real people in the real world and the reaction is fantastic. People were talking about it hours later. "My card appeared in his wallet!!"
What more can you ask for in an effect?

How about "My card appeared in his wallet that I was holding the whole time and not only that it was in the zippered compartment and completely sealed between 2 peices of card stapled together on all 4 sides". This was the reaction I got nightly with my Kaps wallet and due to the side steal (curtesy of Ascanio) they were usually convinced that the wallet was in their possesion long before the card vanished from the deck.

Quote:
This is probably not a good buy for those who sit and do magic in front of the computer to post on Youtube, or who perform for the same small group of people all the time, but for real workers who earn an income working in the real world, it is dynomite!
No more so than any of the other wallets on the market, many of which allow far more effects, the Espionage being a case in point.

Quote:
And you can carry T2P in it! (and if you perform for real people and don't do T2P, then you must not want to do incredible magic!)

I'm not sure what T2P is but I suspect Ascanio and Tamariz and many other people responsible for some of the most incredible magic the world has ever known didn't do T2P.

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds like a commercial
It does

Quote:
but again, as a full time worker who performs at Corporate events all over the world, I have a little understanding of what works in the real world.
As do all of the working pro's using Kaps wallets or JOL wallets or Outlaw Wallets etc etc. Let's not forget the many very talented and knowledgable amateurs and hobbiests. Often on these forums far too much stock is placed on being a "working pro" I was a working pro myself and on the circuit I met many very successful pro's that were using no more than a TT, a Svengali deckand a handful of Eddie Gibson coins, whilst some of the most knowledgable and talented magicians I have been priviledged to meet have been hobbiests who happen to perform (and devise effects) for "real people"(does the average hobbiest perform for cardboard cut outs? I think not!!. The truth is that the average restaurant goer is not a connessoir of fine magic and nor are a lot of bookers. An ability to sell yourself and a handful of decent tricks will get you far more work than a lifetime of skill and technique without an ability to sell of a head for business. Paul Curry was an insurance salesman, John Ramsay was a grocer, Ed Marlo was a machinist, Lou Gallo was a hobbiest, John Carey works on the railways and this list could go on and on. Did the fact that they were not "working pro's" mean they knew less thatn the avrage working pro? Again, I think not!!

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3437 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 19:35, Shawn Farquhar wrote:
Hi again,

Thanks for all the continued feedback.
Mark_Chandaue: How does it scream magic prop? It is a very similar in style to a lot wallets in North America?

Unfortunately I am not in North America and I have never seen a wallet remotely like this in the UK. In North America this may not scream prop in the UK it would.

Quote:
The only thing even slightly magic about it's style is the spade logo.

The spade logo is less of a problem that the extremely unusual (in the UK) external bill flap

Quote:
Are you actually saying it looks more like a prop than http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/kapsstylewallet.jpg or http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/acatalog/jolbillfoldwallet.JPG These are both well accepted magic wallets and I think they cream magic prop.

The Kaps style wallet is very common in the UK in fact my very first Kaps wallet was just a standard store bought wallet that I made a slit in with a stanley knife so that I could use my cheque book as a slide. That wallet was purchased from Woolworths in 1979 and looked extremely close to the one in your photo (and cost a fraction of the price of the one I bought from Ron McMillan in 1982 which I still have to this very day). The JOL wallet is also pretty much identical to the commonly used hip wallet in the UK and can be pcked up in NEXT for about 20 quid, in fact I got my son a wallet like that last Christmas. I don't like the external pocket on the one in your picture but similar coin pockets are not uncommon on UK hip wallets.
Quote:
I guess it's a difference in perspective. Maybe it's a geographical thing?

My guess is it is geographical, I'm an old fart and I have never seen a wallet like yours in my life until I saw yours. Don't get me wrong it looks lovely but I suspect it will be as alien to the average Brit as it is to me. Mind you I'm not your target market, I've only just upgraded my 30 year old Kaps wallet to an Espionage wallet. I kind of get Merc Man's "not another bloody wallet" sentiment but your wallet has just as much right to release as the miriad ofother wallets and the market will decide where yours sits in the wallet hall of fame. I certainly wish you every success with it.

Mark
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 19:35, Shawn Farquhar wrote:

Mark_Chandaue: How does it scream magic prop? It is a very similar in style to a lot wallets in North America? The only thing even slightly magic about it's style is the spade logo.
-shawn

I'll totally have to agree with you on that Shawn. I just can't fathom what issues some people seem to have with the style of this wallet? I can somewhat understand the problems one may have with the embossed 3S on it, but I think that is a non issue and something that most would never see. Also, and as you pointed out, it can possibly be used as an additional revelation when it is pointed out, and drawn attention to them. As for it; “screaming magical prop”, I’m at a total loss as how it could be? As I previously mentioned in my earlier post, I’ve been using this similar type of wallet for well over 30 plus years and I’ve never gotten any strange looks from anyone. It is an everyday type of wallet, well, at least in the U.S. as I certainly cannot speak for other countries.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
If I had this wallet, I'd force the 3 O' spades, have them sign it, lose it in the deck and tell them "the 3 of spades is now in my wallet". They see the embossed 3, they smile/groan, whatever. Makes a nice relaxed moment for the big reveal.

You'd need a forcing deck to keep doing that. But, it would be fun if you just did once each time you opened a new pack.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

Marc,

All good points.
Quote:
How about "My card appeared in his wallet that I was holding the whole time and not only that it was in the zippered compartment and completely sealed between 2 peices of card stapled together on all 4 sides". This was the reaction I got nightly with my Kaps wallet and due to the side steal (curtesy of Ascanio) they were usually convinced that the wallet was in their possesion long before the card vanished from the deck.

I like the plot you suggest for a television appearance or special one off effect, but to continually do the effect at a party, trade show and such where the audience remains in the vicinity would seem very odd to me. To recount to others that the magician had "2 pieces of card stapled together on all 4 sides" in a zipper compartment and to hear a reply back that the same thing happened to them would be odd, not so magical. It would be more of a puzzle in my mind if it were repeated and recounted by a shared audience. I love the premise of the wallet being shown empty first and the Kaps wallet just doesn't offer this plot. It's just a matter of taste in style and plot structure.

Quote:
And you can carry T2P in it! (and if you perform for real people and don't do T2P, then you must not want to do incredible magic!)
-Eric Bedard
Quote:
I'm not sure what T2P is but I suspect Ascanio and Tamariz and many other people responsible for some of the most incredible magic the world has ever known didn't do T2P.
Marc Chandaue

T2P is my offering of an almost torn and restored photo. It uses an idea originally created by the brilliant Dan Harlan. As for Ascanio he is dead, but his primary student loved it when I showed him in Spain as did Tamariz (whom I consider my Unicorn). It has been given rave reviews around the globe and is something that is easy to learn and perform. T2P can be given many different treatments to develop lots of presentations and various reactions. Eric's enthusiasm did appear to be a commercial, but I have only a couple of dozen DVD's left so I am in no hurry to sell them at the moment... lol

Zombie Magic, I do use the plot you suggested, when I get the boss or high end player involved.

To add to the conversation, I like to always have magic on me that appears organic, for lack of a better phrase. Things like T2P, and Extended Stay were created to fill this need. The C2W wallet was just the natural extension as it not only does magic, but can house all these others in an inconspicuous way... Where else would you put a photo of your loved one and a hotel room key?

-shawn

p.s. Marc, you missed Larry Jennings who was a plumber ... I recall the day he told me that and the shocked look on my face! ;-)
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Many forget that about Larry.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3437 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Shawn,
I did type up a long response and went to great pains to nicely nest all the quotes correctly and after some 20 mins of typing the iPad browser crashed losing the lot grrrr!!!

I will do my best to remember it all and please excuse me if my hurried typing of a portion of what I originally typed comes across as disrespectful as that isn't my intent. My name is Mark with a K Marc with a C is the French spelling and to an Englishman that's fighting talk Smile

The stapled C2W I did in my stand up/parlour/cabaret performances. For trade shows and table hopping I did a standard signed C2W, not because I believe that you should only do a trick to one table or it becomes a puzzle, purely for speed of reset and because it would have been to much aggro to set up a dozen or more stapled cards per night. I find your comment about only doing a trick once at a table hopping or strolling gig or it ceases to be magical quite strange. Whilst I would vary my set for adjoining tables at a restaurant (because often while working one table to close by tables would be watching too) I would repeat the same tricks many times to different tables and I don't think diners from different tables got together after their meal to compare notes about the magician.. Likewise at trade shows I would do the pen through coin countless times giving the coin away still solidly impaled on the pen (which just happened to have my contact details engraved on it). Having seen this trick they would then show their pen with coin to all and sundry who would seek me out to see the effect and get their souvenir pen ( thanks to Michael Ammar for this way of getting spectators to want your contact details and to show them to their friends). I don't believe it became less magical though many people seeing it and discussing it amongst themselves any more than your performance on P&T Fool us became less magical by being seen by millions who would have each discussed seeing you do the same effect.

As far as showing the wallet empty, if that's a requirement of the routine you perform then certainly your wallet is the way to go. For me there is no requirement to show the wallet empty because in the routine I perform the spectator is convinced they are holding their card in one hand and the wallet in the other so regardless of whether the wallet is empty or no,t in the spectators mind their card cannot be in the wallet so there is no need to show the wallet empty. I'm not being chased so I ain't running. Ascanio's side steal (from his lecture on palming cards if memory serves me correctly) is so beautiful and so clean that the spectator is convinced that their card is still in the deck in their hands when they are handed the wallet. The card is only made to disappear after they have the wallet in their hand so why would they care what is in the wallet at the point it is handed to them.

One ruse I used with a lot of success was to tell them to shuffle the deck and keep hold of it and don't let go. Then after I had taken out the wallet, handed it to them and wagered the contents that I could find their card I would take back the deck and say "The card went into the middle of the pack, you shuffled the cards, would you be impressed if I could find your card in less than 5 seconds?" This would usually get an affirmative response, I'd fan the cards faces towards me and pull out a card and say "It's really easy when it has "John Smith" written across the face like this one!! Now you know why I told you not to let go. Lets start again, the card goes into the middle, here take them, shuffle them and this time don't nake it easy for me by letting go". Because of the signature and I looked at the faces to find it no-one ever questioned that it was their card even though I never showed the face. They would laugh at the gag and be convinced their card was in the middle of the deck and I'm clean as a whistle.

As far as Larry Jennings, not so much forgot as the point had been made, the list of others we could add is both long and distinguished.

Mark (with a K Smile)
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3437 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Oh and I ment to include that no doubt T2P is a wonderful effect but my point really was that the statement that anyone who does not perform T2P does not want to do great magic was both inaccurate and somewhat condescending.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

Hi Mark,

First, sorry to have mis-spelled your name. It was not intentional and most likely the C of your last name drew my eye and my slow brain did the rest.

I love the ruse you described. That would be a lot of fun and quite convincing for the after story.

In regards to the repeating an effect. I wasn't suggesting it at table hopping at all. I wrote party, trade shows and such. Of course it would be perfectly acceptable where the guests are less likely to mingle with other guests such as a restaurant. I am a bit too lazy to do so much prep work though to get to the effect you desire. I too did repeat of effects at trade shows that left the spectator with a souvenir, but they just by their nature were more puzzle than magic.

I think the point I am failing to explain well, is that this C2W wallet I am offering is not just to do a signed card in wallet. That is in fact the most basic effect possible as I stated in the trailer. The possibilities to use it with hotel key cards and business cards is exciting to me. I love that I can open my wallet when a business card is requested and feign disappointment that I no longer have any left due to high demand. Then with a magical gesture, make one appear, just for them of course. Others might use it to make a signed bill magically appear after it has been destroyed by fire. Heck, the possibilities are endless. It's all about the fact the wallet can be shown empty and then something appears.

Thanks for your reply and struggling to do it after the iPad crashed...

Cheers,

-shawn
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3437 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Haha Shawn,
Believe me I was also far too lazy to do the prep work for the stapled C2W which is why for table hopping etc I would do standard C2W, the stapled bit was reserved for a stand-up shows where it would be at most twice night and more commonly once. The prep only about 2 mins and it was reset time that was the bigger factor than prep time.

I don"t think you are failing to get across the merits of your wallet, it clearly does what it sets out to acheive very well I have just enjoyed the discussion with you and whilst you won't necessarily have my custom on this specific product you most certainly have both my respect and my hand in friendship for what either are worth.

Mark
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
739 Posts

Mark,

I got into magic for the fun and have stayed for the friendships. I can't think of another hobby or profession that so easily accepts another into the fold. Last year I spent over 200 days aways from home, but fewer than five without a friend... that's a great gift and it's worth more than anything, except family. Thanks for the great comments and all the best to you and yours for the New Year ... -shawn
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
917 Posts

Profile of Martino
It seems clear to me from the comments so far (and the fact that I am from the UK) that this type of wallet is fairly commonplace in the US/Canada but not so in the UK. I'm 42 and have never seen anything like it before. Similarly, due to the amount of coinage we use in the UK, wallets with internal zipperered compartments are commonplace, not so in the US/Canada where low value bills are common (although I believe in Canada they use both one and two dollar coins). It's a nice looking wallet and I like the fact that the card appears after the wallet has been shown empty, however, due to the fact that it looks like an ordinary UK style hip wallet I personally will be getting my hands on Harry Robson's new Hands Off Wallet.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Libertus
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Libertus
Hey there Shawn. Your biggest fan here.

I would love it if you could reply to this when you have the time.

Your wallet does look good, and I have already purchased another wallet recently so I cannot spend more money *I wish I could but I'm only 16*.

However, this question is completely off the radar, but when will you be releasing, (if you are), the trick which fooled P&T - the signed card in sealed deck.

I have seen other tools on the market such as the Extractor which is capable of doing something similar but I just don't like it as its too messy for me. Hoping for your reply.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1127 Posts

Profile of paperinick
For those who scream magician prop: the wallet seems examinable, I know it doesn't matter since suspicion is enough to weaken an effect, but at least you can have them holding it...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-12-31 12:53, paperinick wrote:
For those who scream magician prop: the wallet seems examinable, I know it doesn't matter since suspicion is enough to weaken an effect, but at least you can have them holding it...

I don't know any magician who would let someone examine their wallet!

best,
Sean
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-12-31 13:40, Sean Giles wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-31 12:53, paperinick wrote:

I don't know any magician who would let someone examine their wallet!

best,
Sean

And for a good old quote from the past on this:

Quote:
"Ending a trick by having an examination phase is weak theater"

-Gary Ouellet

:bg:

Jim
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Mr. Ouellet was right on the money. Even if a trick is examinable, I usually never just hand stuff out. I personally feel the only time it really matters is when it's the last trick of your set. Nice to be able to say, "Thank you, folks," and then leave the prop you just used on the table for them to examine if they wish.

Or, if you are trying to establish something as being test conditions, in which case you can hand the thint out before the trick starts.

But handing out items after a trick slows everything down and is just boring for everyone else.

Examination is overrated.

End of rant. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wallet by Shawn Farquhar (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL