The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls from a sitting possition? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
I can't seem to find this... can anyone think of a way to do the cups and balls from a sitting position, WITHOUT a bag?

as a side question, are expsensive cups and balls really neccessary? Or could I just Penn and Teller is and use my alluminum foil balls and plastic cups?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yes, it's been done hundreds of times. Vernon himself worked the first part sitting, and then stood up for the final load sequence. Paul Gertner also sat while doing his world famous routine. If you do some research you'll find dozens of big and not so big names who sit.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9088 Posts

Profile of funsway
C&B is performed by magicians in wheelchairs -- and not always with stable. A tray on lap or affixed to the arm is enough.

Standing only only gives a possible advantage for large loads, but a Servante has advantages too.

Whether or not the audience is sitting or standing is also important.

Presentation is always more important than props. Whatever you use it should seem reasonable for the audience, setting and storyline.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 00:25, Nicholas Night wrote:
I can't seem to find this... can anyone think of a way to do the cups and balls from a sitting position, WITHOUT a bag?

as a side question, are expsensive cups and balls really neccessary? Or could I just Penn and Teller is and use my alluminum foil balls and plastic cups?

You don't need expensive cups to start with. Learn the effect first. when you start performing, buy the expensive cups. you will have a few years until you have the effect in your hands. It took me 7 years to be on the level I am now... the cups and balls was the first effect I learned properly (and I am still working on it) recently I upgraded to more expensive cups (sisti cups of rnt.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Seated performances were common at a time when much of the close-up magic was also performed while seated. This is how I learned. In fact, it was John Mendoza's routine that I first learned (besides the basic "stacking" routine from the Adams' plastic sets).

There were few if any "table-hoppers", and busking-style street magic was equally as rare. Close-up performances were more formal, even in restaurants.

When I was young an skinny, performing the cups and balls while seated was a piece of cake. Now that I am old and fat, I've found that I no longer have a lap. Smile Had I not learned during that earlier time in my life, I might question the feasibility, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Nicholas!~ You R the 15 yr. old that joined this motley crew recently? Me, too! --only, I'm 81! I'm sure I remember your name, but not 100% sure of the rest.

You are not far from Colon. Abbott's usually has a close up "convention" in April (I think). It's on a weekend. If it's possible for you to attend, you might be able to pick up some very good ideas there (on C & B) You could phone Greg Bordner and ask if anyone coming is 'doing' C&B.

See the above comments already posted! They all have said something worth your knowing. ONE REPETITION (for emphasis)>>>THE PERFORMER IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROPS!!!,and the performer's PRESENTATON is even more important! PPPPP=PLEASING,PRESENTATIONS,Produce PLEASING PERFORMANCES!

I knew Dai,and know Paul--and Penn & Teller,too. (I shared a suite at the Waldof-Astoria with Penn & Teller--SAM Conv '78) The "Professor" and Paul both did/do brilliant routines--but they didn't achieve that overnight! Plan on it being a life "quest"! "...one learns by doing the thing..." --Sophocles "You only coast in ONE direction" --??? "...the journey of a thousand miles, begins with one step..." --ancient Chinese proverb.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PRESTIDIGITATION!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1885 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Read up on Slydini, Don Allen, Canradi (sp), Vernon, and John Flashman they all worked seated. Flashman uses six load balls from his lap in resturants.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Ringmaster, do you mean Dan Fleshman?
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
What? You don't need expensive cups? My magic dealer sold me a $350 set of cups, telling me that that was the best way to perform the trick! Now I'll have to rethink my purchase of an $800 dollar wand...
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Also, for pure sitting and lapping C&Bs routine without bag, check Dominique Duvivier's routine who manages, around the end of the routine, to get an additional cup without any one realizinng where it comes from before it's already far on to the table and the audience realize that there are no longer only three cups in play.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Also, look at the thread on Al Schneider's C & B and follow the link he posted to a seated performance.
WingChun
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of WingChun
Check Harry Riser book "Feints and Tepms of H. Riser". Also John Mendoza routine (though he uses a combo set) is performed seated.
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
We can sit and preform? I like this job!
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Quote:
On 2013-02-05 04:45, Illusionist wrote:
We can sit and preform? I like this job!

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can be lazy at what you do.
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
Oh no never lazy lol. But I did wonder about this too at one point. My back isn't the greatest anymore, so for instance... Making a manipulation routine whilst sitting in a barstool under a spotlight could be kinda diferent right? Just a wuestion since I cant stand for long durations.
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
Sorry by routine I mean contact juggling. that's my forte Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1866 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Expensive cups are absolutely not necessary.
IvanLee
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of IvanLee
Quote:
On 2013-02-05 11:19, Ray Haining wrote:
Expensive cups are absolutely not necessary.

I think it's not necessary when you are begginer but it's better to purchase one when you are master.(Just my personal idea)
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am no expert on C&Bs and only done a few basic performance with any type of magic. Anyway, from what I learned here at Magic Café is that you should try to come up with your own routine for C&B or any magic. Therefore, there is no rule that you have to be seated to perform C&Bs. You can sit, stand, walk around, handstand, or do cartwheels if possible to perform C&Bs, it all depends on what you are capable of doing. With C&Bs there are so many things you can do to put on a great show.

The number of cups all depends on the routine that you decide to use. Generally C&Bs is perform with 3 cups of some type, but that is not the rule, it's something that works for a lot of people. Some performers might use 4, 2, or even one cup to perform C&Bs, again it all depends on how you feel about your own routine. Also, the number of balls or type of balls and final load(s) depends on the routine that you decide to use.

The type of cups to use, again depends on YOU. There are a lot of C&Ballers here that have a big collections of cups. Expensive cups to very affordable cups. Made from anything, copper, brass, aluminum, glass, plastic, or clay etc, etc. I have seen great performance with plastic cups, copper cups, and aluminum cups. Some where on YouTube there is a guy at a Deli who uses a balled up napkin and uses a single coffee cup to perform C&B and I believe the final load was a balled up dollar bill, don't really remember the final load, but this guy put on a great performance.

The biggest challenge for me is Patter, but for some people patter is very easily done.

The bottom line for C&Bs is which routine YOU can best perform using whatever equipment that fits YOUR routine. I found a chop cup routine by Don Alan that I like, but I am gonna have to come up with my own Patter to fit my personality. I have this really cool wooden chop cup that I want to use with this routine, and I am waiting for the balls to arrive from RNT-2.

For years I have had several books and DVDs on C&Bs and have lots of cups to choose from, but my biggest problem is that I have not come up with my own original routine. Maybe one day I will eventually get it down, or I might not ever get it at all. Only time will tell.

Have fun
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Dan Fleshman did his routine seated and produced six balls for the climax...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls from a sitting possition? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL