The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MERGE by John Stessel and JM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 15:16, Don Dasher wrote:
The bullying in this topic finally got me to check out the demo, just to see what the fuss is about. I stopped half way through since my time is valuable.

What is with all the moves? Is this a dance routine?

And how about getting rid of the rubber band? I can't remember the last time I put a rubber band around ONE of anything. It screams.... nonsense.

Nonsensical would have been an awesome name for this effect.

Obviously the creators will disagree. They've made it painfully clear that they love their own work.

I give this a 3 out of 5. It's ok but nothing to brag about and certainly nothing to attack others over if they don't absolutely love it.

And it will take a fair amount of card handling skills. This is no beginner trick.

DD

Bullying, lol!!! Wow, that's one of the funniest things I've heard today. Anyway, as for why a magician would place a rubber band around a card - maybe, the magician wants to show the spectator that an indifferent card will be isolated by putting a rubber band around it only to visually change into their signed selected card. Maybe if you bought the download you would know that and then you wouldn't be posting such an amateur statement. I'm not trying to be mean but your statement of why one would use a rubber band made me wander. Also if you bought the download maybe your critical and amateur statements would not read as such.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I purchased this effect, and still downloading the videos.

I have downloaded 3 videos so far and will watch them in a bit, and post my thoughts, then when I finish the others will post those as well.

My review will be unbiased, and I for one did not know John before this, so stay tuned a bit later as I post my thoughts.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Official Review Part 1
MERGE by John Stessel and Justin Miller

Hey guys,

So I just finished watching 3 of the videos that are supplied on the download.

MERGE INTRO
The first video you download is called Merge Intro, and here Justin talks about the original video that John sent to him, and he pretty much shows you the bells and whistles of the effect, this first video is about 8 min long, and is more of an intro, and basic concept of how the effect works.

MERGE TRANSPO
This is the second video you download and the main effect. Here Justin goes over every move detailing down to everything you need to know, and shows you all the nuances that make this tranposition work. This is a very visual transposition as seen on the trailer.
You do not need to have mad card handling skills to do the moves on this part, it is pretty easy, and if you are not a card handler, with a little bit of practice you will have it down, its not something very hard to do. If you do the transpo in front of the mirror it will fool you, it looks very visual and its great.
I am going to perform this once I have it down, I don't feel comfortable performing something unless I am 100% confident I have put in the time to make it look like real magic...but I am sure it will be fun to practice this.
The MERGE TRANSPO is broken up into two parts, and if you don't want to perform part 2, you don't need to, but I highly suggest that you do, since it flows along smoothly with the effect.

4=A
This is the third video you download, and this is great because it is a great lead in into many other types of effects like Reset, or Invisible Palm, etc etc.
I already have an idea on how I am going to use this and I will let Justin and John know about it.
Anyways, you have a card selected, and banded, instanly the card changes into the 4 Aces. I am going to perform all the moves as is, but my presentation will be suited for mentalism. This is great, because you can now have someone think of a 4 of a kind, have an indifferent card selected, and then BAM the thought of 4 of a kind appears.

That is as far as I got tonight.

I am currently downloading 3 more videos which I will review as soon as I watch them.

for the time being I feel that the explanations on the videos are clear and crisp, and although sometimes the camera shot gets a bit blurry, Justin notices this right away, and fixes the problem, but this doesn't deter at all from what you are learning, since it happens near the end of one of the videos.
the effect is stellar, crisp, clear, easy to understand, and I am sure that this is a true worker.

I will write another review ASAP.

So far from what I have seen, for the price you are paying $20, it has been worth it for inspiring me to think of a mental theme for 4=A, and Mental Transpo which is something I will practice. I am looking forward to watching the other videos as well.

This is a very good price for what you are getting, and you get to pick and choose the best effect using the MERGE principle you want to perform.

More later....

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
You have 1 hour to get the Merge+lecture deal! It goes off the table at 12 noon. Pacific time.
JM
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Hi Justin,

I'm in the UK, have I still got time for the Merge and lecture deal?

Thanks,
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-07 13:14, LankyHobo wrote:
Hi Justin,

I'm in the UK, have I still got time for the Merge and lecture deal?

Thanks,

For UK customers..sure!
JM
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Nice one!
Just bought.

Thanks very much,
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
****, that was quick! Smile
Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

Johnny
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-07 13:40, LankyHobo wrote:
****, that was quick! Smile
Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

Johnny

You are very welcome.
Look forward to your thoughts!
JM
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
Is the 3 card melody routine available?
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-07 18:47, baobow wrote:
Is the 3 card melody routine available?

I have not filmed this yet.
I will this week.
JM
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Offical Review Part 2

OK, so I finally just finished watching the remainder of the videos and here is the scoop:

After watching the third download, my computer crashed, and I had to redownload everything starting with the 4th download and on, and here they are in order:

Acetrivert = Easy version

This is a variation on another download video you receive called Thinktrivert, but an easy version, in which it combines the four aces, and a triumph routine.
This looks great, but I don't think this will be my preferred method of perfoming the MERGE principle, but its there for those of you that want something easy.

Bs Deep

This has got to be my favorite download video from everything you receive, and just like Justin said, this is a worker, and pure eye candy, and something I will definitely perform.
It is a transposition effect from pocket to hands, or you can even do it in the spectators own hand as well.
This will be my go to effect from now on.

Thinktrivert

This is a combination of 2 selected cards, one selected, and one thought of, and a triumph routine. Another great effect and something worth trying out, especially the part where the cards visibly right themselves.

Ghost A.C.R

The best version IMHO to finish an A.C.R routine with no moves whatsoever.
Everyone will be doing this, as for me it was one of the highlights of this download.
The card moves in the middle of the deck by itself, and is then seen on top.

Ghost Vanish

Same concept as Ghost ACR, but here you cause a selected card to vanish instead of rise.

Merge Prediction

A great mental prediction effect using the MERGE principle, and something I will try out.

Merge Closure

Justin talks about the download and how it was put together, and just gives some final tips.

So here are my favorites from the download that make this worth the money:

Ghost ACR (mainly for the eerie look of the card going into the middle with no moves)
Thinktrivert (mainly for the cards righting themselves magically)
Merge Transpo (main effect, like a here and there)
Bs Deep (killer transpo from pocket, or in specs hands)

So think about it, I got 4 things of out this download, and all for $20.00, its a steal....this project could have been worth more IMHO, so the price is really good, and you get to pick and choose the version you would want to perform.

Time to practice.

Alex
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Seee told ya guys..geesh!
Thank you soo much for the ACTUAL REVIEW of the download that YOU purchased..man I have to get my caps lock fixed, been broken for about 2 pages now.
Yea, B's deep and Ghost A.C.R are my fav. They are very diff.
JM
altrez
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
218 Posts

Profile of altrez
This is a worker! Hit the buy button now. Its less then cost of a dinner out but using this tool you will earn free meals. Trust me I did =)

-Altrez
altrez
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
218 Posts

Profile of altrez
And BTW I don't agree with JM on not having the band around your card case. I have two bands on mine and I simply tell the spectator that they keep the cards in my clip. Very natural and fools laymen every time! They simply don't question it.

-Altrez
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-08 20:34, altrez wrote:
And BTW I don't agree with JM on not having the band around your card case. I have two bands on mine and I simply tell the spectator that they keep the cards in my clip. Very natural and fools laymen every time! They simply don't question it.

-Altrez

What you don't agree with me? Kidding..yea for me it just does not fit my style, but others mos def. It is a nice place to put them if it fits you though.
Thank you man for the very kind words on Merge!
JM
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-08 20:27, altrez wrote:
This is a worker! Hit the buy button now. Its less then cost of a dinner out but using this tool you will earn free meals. Trust me I did =)

-Altrez

THAT IS AWESOME! We LOVE to hear that it is paying for you!
JM
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, I only have been able to watch Bs Deep and Ghost ACR besides the Merge Intro up to this point. There's not much to say but just brilliant! I feel I already got my money's worth and I havn't even watched all the other routines. I can see why Bs Deep and Ghost ACR are two of JM's favorites. Again, this is very simple magic but yet very visual magic. Bs Deep does not use the Merge principle but is so diabolical you guys will love it. This has to be one of the easiest and visual Transpo's I am familiar with. Ghost ACR is SUPER visual and SUPER erie! If you into bizzare and erie you will love this. JM includes general card technique subtleties in the instructions which I feel is a big bonus. A lot of material you buy the magi never includes little subtleties. The little subtleties JM goes over in the downloads will elevate your card magic for sure and make a lot of the card moves you do seem very natural in the specs eyes. I can't wait to get these few Family Shows I have coming up over with so I can watch some more of Merge!

Another winner in my book!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
johnstess
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of johnstess
MERGE is on penguin!!!! I repeat MERGE is on penguin!!!!! everyone who has not already check it out!!!!
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
Any update about adding the 3 card melody routine to the drop box folder Justin?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MERGE by John Stessel and JM (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL