The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Never work with animals or children." –WC Fields. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Presumably everyone who visits the Little Darlings forum ignores this advice and has concluded he was wrong. I, for one, work with children AND animals on a daily basis and find it no more difficult than any other audience. Perhaps he had a bad experience (like we all have had I'm sure). Since WC Fields was an admitted alcoholic, I guess we can be glad he did not work with children more often!

Or do you think there is some truth in his words?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
WC worked with both children and animals in his films.

I love working with both.

During October, I returned to work a pumpkin patch event.

Oh what fun it is to work with a goat. No kidding around, the force (card) is with them.

Regarding addiction and alcoholism, this is a real issue within and outside the entertainment world.

If comedy is the best medicine, how come so many of the comedy heroes had difficulty with booze?
One answer is that Fame is only Fame from a distance.

Harris
aka dr. laugh 4u
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
FYI guys... regardless of what you might think, animals and children always steal your show. Nobody in their right mind sitting in the audience will put you above them. In spite of W.C. Fields' true character, or his personna, at least his ego understood that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think you right Michael, and if you ever did try to outdo them, either would eat you alive.

Tom
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Silly Billy uses children in his shows. I see it gave him no problem.

Siegfried and Roy worked with animals. It did help out with their performances.

The quote should be "Never work with animals or children...if you have no interest or desire."
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Be careful they both bite.lol
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I believe what Michael, Tom and W.C. are trying to express is "don't work with children or animals IF you want to be the star" -they will nearly always take that from you. In my experience, that is true.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
In my experience, it depends on the presentation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-01-03 03:34, KC Cameron wrote:
I believe what Michael, Tom and W.C. are trying to express is "don't work with children or animals IF you want to be the star" -they will nearly always take that from you. In my experience, that is true.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. Presentation has nothing to do with it. Of course, it is YOUR show. But, animals and children will always upstage an adult performer, regardless of what they do. They are the underdogs with the upper hand. If you don't believe that, test the audience's sympathies and see where they lay.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
My take on kids, animals and puppets went the same route as how I view hecklers.

It is not me against them, it is our show.

Harris
still 2 old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes I too thought the quote was saying, never work with animals or children, because they would outperform you.

Of course I do agree with Ken's point, working with kids and animals is not for everybody. Some shouldn't even try.

But what makes me think that W.C. Fields didn't mean it the way it sounds is, he also said:

"If I can make them laugh and through that laughter make this old world seem just a little brighter, then I am satisfied."

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Never work with animals or children." –WC Fields. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL