The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Limitations of a Genie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Even with the so-called Omnipotence of a Genie, research finds he has limitations. Reading in the Showcase book of Rip Hunter reprints,we see when Hunter and his crew use the Time-Sphere to travel to Ancient Arabia where they clash with two criminals who have hijacked Rip's 2nd sphere. In Arabia, the criminals manage to get the lamp which commands the Genie. When they carelessly lose the Time-Sphere and ask the Genie for help to take them back to the 20th Century, they find the Genie helpless in that he can Not provide time-travel. This then is the weakness of a Genie which I did not know of. So I was wondering if any of you know of any other limitations of a Genie?
Bella Morte
View Profile
New user
Creole Sorceress and Tainted Magnolia
32 Posts

Profile of Bella Morte
Only if the bottle is too small. Plus they play tricks and cannot be trusted. Better a Jin.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6674 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This is the genie I always wanted:

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/1......-800.jpg

I never understood why Hagmann treated her like sh**! I'd have made her the happiest woman alive! It really would not take much. All she wanted to do was please her master! I'm an easy guy to please...wouldn't take much. Imagine how much fun she'd be! Man...she could make me look GOOD as a magician...just sayin'...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6674 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ahhh! Found a genie lamp! Now, let's see if this thing works...

:genielamp:
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
233 Posts

Profile of jglumley
I don't think they can grant wishes for more wishes.
The "18"
cliffd
View Profile
New user
Colorado
21 Posts

Profile of cliffd
There is a series of kids books called Children of the Lamp which talks about them being stronger when/where it is hot, and weaker in the cold weather.

-cliff
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
This is from my book “Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic” (This month is it’s third birthday as a magic best-seller!) I’m not supposed to reprint this so don’t tell my publisher!

I think it demonstrates both the weakness and strength of the Genie and the owner. Enjoy it, it’s my third book’s birthday gift to you.

You MUST distress, age, and create a very “realistic” ancient bottle though… and you must perform/act it with total seriousness, or it the playfulness won’t come through! I’ve had great success with this for well over 200 performances.

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/csspa......ment.htm

Magically, Walt

THERE’S SOMETHING IN MY BOTTLE!

(magician hesitantly pokes at the bottle on his table)

…Ahhh…There’s Something in my Bottle…

There’s a Genie in my bottle,
Or a Gremlin… or a Ghoul…

It pretends it doesn’t live there,
(And must think I’m quite a fool!)

Something Icky’s …in this bottle,
Like a Poltergeist? Or Goblin?
‘Cause if I yank the stopper out…
I can hear it in there… sobbin’!

If you look in… you’ll see nothin’
…Not even… hear a cough,
But keep your fingers out’a there,
Or it might just, bite one, off!

It sleeps most all the daytime…
And snores most all the night!
But, when I shake his bottle up…
He wakes, with awful fright!

If it escapes the bottle…
He flies about the house,
And causes lots of damage,
Which makes my landlord grouse!

When it gets in the fridge,
Or in the bathroom sink,
He hurls every-thing in sight…
(Which, can cause quite a stink!)

If I try to shake and wake it…
Maybe… tickle him, with rope?
He might peep out to show himself,
(At least, that’s what we’d hope…)

Or he might get mad! And grab the rope,
And refuse to give it back…
Next Swinging on it …to…and…fro…
‘Till I give him quite a smack!

If I yank the rope… to take it back,
He makes a low …rude… sound.
In the nick of time… I’ll stopper it,
(For with gas, he does abound!)

See! Now you know, he’s in there…
And that’s where it ought to stay,
‘Cause if it gets out …in this room…
You’ll see me running!!! Far away!
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In the story of Aladdin, the genie of the ring tells Aladdin of one limitation, namely that he (the genie of the ring) cannot undo any magic that the genie of the lamp has done. This scenario occurs when the princess, Aladdin's wife, exchanges the old magic lamp for a new one when the evil magician tricks her. Once he has the magic lamp, the evil magician uses it to bid its genie to whisk the princess and the entire palace "to a lonely place in Africa." This all happens while Aladdin is away on a hunt. When Aladdin returns from the hunt and finds his palace and his wife vanished, in despair he kneels to pray and while praying accidentally rubs the magic ring, thereby conjuring up the genie of the ring. He asks the genie of the ring to bring back his wife and his palace, but the genie of the ring tells him: "That is not in my power; I am only the slave of the ring; you must ask the slave of the lamp." Aladdin tries a different tack and says, "But thou canst take me to the palace [wherever it has disappeared to], and set me down under my dear wife's window." Once the genie takes him to his wife in Africa, Aladdin and the princess work out a plan to kill the evil magician and escape.

It's been a long time since I've seen the Disney movie. Was this "limitation" incorporated into the movie?

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3793 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I wrote something about a djinn here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2013, Dougini wrote:
This is the genie I always wanted:

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/1......-800.jpg

I never understood why Hagmann treated her like sh**! I'd have made her the happiest woman alive! It really would not take much. All she wanted to do was please her master! I'm an easy guy to please...wouldn't take much. Imagine how much fun she'd be! Man...she could make me look GOOD as a magician...just sayin'...

Doug

Even though Doug's post was over one year ago, "I Dream Of Jeannie" comes up again because this morning I caught a CNN interview with Barbara Eden on the 50th anniversary of the series. What really surprised me was all the controversy the series had originally provoked. Unless I'm mistaken, Barbara was the very first to show her navel on tv, because so much of the interview focused on how much of a stir it created. The other controversy was Jeannie always addressing Tony as "Master." That address of "Master" provoked a flood of hate-mail from FEmale members of the audience who objected vehemently to the slavish portrayal of a Woman in a Subservient role. I never knew how the series had provoked so much controversy, that is, until I saw this morning's interview.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Limitations of a Genie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL