The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I seen a video clip of John performing this one for three audience members, so I don't need to know what the effect is. It looks teriffic.

What I want to know if anybody have the deck, and can give me an input about it.
The thoughts you have about it, and if its worth buying.

I think I know how the effect is accomplished, but I'm not dead sure.

For you that don't know the effect:
The magician spreads out the deck on the table, and asks three people of the audience to just think of a card.
He then looks at each person to establish a mental contact, and then one by one correctly states each persons thought-of card.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
I have this deck and I like it a lot.
One downside is that it's not printed on Bicycle stock. This can be remedied by adding a Bike to the top of the deck (this has been pointed out by a number of people, including Derren Brown).
Due to the method it's not that repeatable, but you probably wouldn't want to anyway.
Also due to the method you need to be on top of your presentation. You will get misses, but you can cut them down with thought, and a miss will always lead you to the thought of card.

Like I say I like it a lot, but I choked on coughing up the full asking price. I do think it's a bit too expensive so I picked mine up second-hand.
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I'd recommend it. a lot of powerful mind reading effects can be performed with it, and if that's what you are into then it's a must.
La magie, c'est ma vie
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4825 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This is a pretty neat effect: but as you understand you need that "special" deck to achive the goal.
I have Mind Power Deck and its very clever.
But, you need to have a good presentation to pull this off. Its very easy to do in technical terms but takes time to master the routining.
And, you don't need to memorize anything.
But, you need to ask some questions before you can reveal the cards.
The only negative thing is that its not a Bicycle deck. If you like gaffed decks then you will like it.
I think its worth the money.
If Mr Kennedy puts a Bicycle version out Im willing to pay the double.
JOHNS WEB: http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.mastermagic.info
jae
View Profile
New user
Missouri
10 Posts

Profile of jae
Thank you for the site information, Kjellstrom! He has some very interesting effects. Peo, if You get this one, You will have to show me in 2006! It sounds really good. However the deck is not cheap. If I read the right one, the deck is $29.
Smile
Life is short..Reach for tomorrow but live for today. And NEVER take yourself too seriously.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I think I will pass this one.
Thanks for the info Mats.
Smile
chiz
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
94 Posts

Profile of chiz
Have a look at the cassandra deck.

I don't own the mindpower deck, but I do know how it works. I feel the cassandra deck is much more open, and a lot more effects can be accomplished with it.
I'm currently working the casandra deck into my regular repertoire.

______
Ben
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Here's my viewpoint (for what it's worth):
If I had to put my money on three cardeffects that really can turn spectators into "believers", they would be:
"spooked", Ortiz'Dreamcard and...mindpower.

Anyone who does high end corporate gigs and can "weave" a corporate message around it should know what I'm talking about.
I agree that it is a pity they don't come in Bicycles, but if that's preventing you from buying it you are missing the point.

Too expensive? Really, what defines what is, and what is not "too expensive".
If the only purpose of buying is to learn it's secret and put it among the other dozens of gaffed decks, yea, then it is too expensive.
For the working performer I think it's peanuts!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-11-11 11:17, chiz wrote:
Have a look at the cassandra deck.

I don't own the mindpower deck, but I do know how it works. I feel the cassandra deck is much more open, and a lot more effects can be accomplished with it.
I'm currently working the casandra deck into my regular repertoir

______
Ben

Good deal, I allready have the Cassandra deck and the booklet.
Thanks Ben
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I think it's genius. I use it regularly.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
724 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Take a look at the Devil's Picturebook video of Darren Brown. He uses the deck in "Smoke".

-- Frank
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
If you want it to look like a bicycle deck just put a bicycle card on top then turn over the deck. Nobody will be the wiser. Problem solved.
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
Quote:
On 2003-11-11 21:44, thehawk wrote:
If you want it to look like a bicycle deck just put a bicycle card on top then turn over the deck. Nobody will be the wiser. Problem solved.

It doesn't quite solve my problem because I like to hand the card to the spectator. I really, really like this effect. But I can't understant what the thinking was not putting it on Bicycle stock. The 'thought of' card would make a great give-away, but can't happen because of the funky backs. I agree with the earlier post. As expensive as this trick is. I would pay twice as much for it on Bicycle backs. Heck I might even pay extra for Hoyle.

Curtis
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
It doesn't quite solve my problem because I like to hand the card to the spectator. I really, really like this effect. But I can't understant what the thinking was not putting it on Bicycle stock. The 'thought of' card would make a great give-away, but can't happen because of the funky backs. I agree with the earlier post. As expensive as this trick is. I would pay twice as much for it on Bicycle backs. Heck I might even pay extra for Hoyle.

Um, do you actually own the Mind Power Deck? The problem with giving the card away is not the backs. It's that the cards are gimmicked. They can not be removed from the spread without exposing the secret.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
Quote:

Um, do you actually own the Mind Power Deck? The problem with giving the card away is not the backs. It's that the cards are gimmicked. They can not be removed from the spread without exposing the secret.

Um, yeah. I actually own the Mind Power Deck.

I'm not sure if you forgot this or not, but there are a number of cards that can be removed the Mind Power deck without exposing the secret (8 to be exact!) And once you know the spectators thought of card, you can remove one of these cards for the spectator to examine if you like.

Curtis
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
.....so why don't you just add 8 bicycle cards to give away from the deck?!?!?!?!?!?

Adding 8 regular cards from a bicycle deck wouldn't affect the working of the deck and you could still hand out bicycle cards as giveaways.

Also:

Why would that card be a good give-away?!?!?! spectators don't always want to save some card that they can find in any of their decks at home.

I've always found that the only good give-away's are when you do magic with that specific card, like T&R, A.W., and the like...

In this, the real effect is you reading the spectators mind. The cards are mearly there to give them something to think of, so what is their emotional attachment to the cards... why would they care about it?!?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4825 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If yo have Larry Beckers "Versadex Wallet" then yo can combine Mind Power ddeck with his great wallet.
If yo have it you will understand my point.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
537 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Hi Flea, Having done work with Bicycle I can probably guess the reason John did not go with them is that there minimum orders on decks like these can be as high as 10,000 plus the art work for the plate etc. It can be a very big chunk of change. I do agree however that people would pay more for "Bikes"

SCott
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I don't know where I read it, but that seems to be the very reason it was not brought out in Bicycle; the high costs. Remember this deck uses "a lot" of cards that needed be printed seperately. Just take a look at the price of a packettrick with, say 6 gimmicked (printed) cards...

BTW, if you insist on Bicycles, there's a website cardsbymartin.com ,the gentleman is called Neil Lester.
Friendly man who can do a lot with cards. I once inquired if he could "re-back" my Mindpower-deck. He said yes but you have to ask him for yourself what it would cost. Yikes!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
jayesky
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jayesky
Hey all--i'm trying to decide between the mind power deck and purchasing richard osterlind's "mind mysteries dvd-vol 1." on it, he has an effect called the radar deck. see the clip here: http://www.ellusionist.com/order/richard......ding.htm

This appears to be the same effect...can anyone comment on it? the DVD has many other effects that appear interesting...i'm trying to figure out which to purchase?

thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL