The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
Quote:
On 2003-11-15 06:33, MacGyver wrote:
Also:

Why would that card be a good give-away?!?!?! spectators don't always want to save some card that they can find in any of their decks at home.

I've always found that the only good give-away's are when you do magic with that specific card, like T&R, A.W., and the like...

In this, the real effect is you reading the spectators mind. The cards are mearly there to give them something to think of, so what is their emotional attachment to the cards... why would they care about it?!?

It seemed to me that a card that they merely thought off, given the right patter talking about how their chosen card is a special card, etc. It might make a good give-away.

It's just an opinion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Also it seems to me that by giving away the card out of the deck, you are erasing any idea that the deck is special. Now I admit, I didn’t think of the idea of replacing the eight cards with Bicycle backs. That’s not a bad idea at all (even though now you can't show the backs of the cards.) Of course that’s why I bought it up; to get feedback and people's opinions. Everyone has good ideas, and I like to hear them. But hey, that’s just me.

Curtis
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hi,

I'm looking for some help. I've just bought a second hand Kennedy mindpower deck but the guy couldn't find the instructions. Is there anybody that wouldn't mind emailing them to me. I'll happily provide proof that I own the deck.

Many thanks
Sean
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2469 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Sean, shoot me a PM and I'll try to dig out the instructions for my deck and send them to you.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Does the Cassandra deck comes in bikes?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Someone has kindly sent me the instructions. Thanks to all those that offered to help.

All the best
Sean.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4832 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
F.U.D.T.S.P
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of F.U.D.T.S.P
This is one of the first card decks I brought and I love. I got hooked after watching devils picture book.

Fudtsp
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1648 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Great deck if you use it for a routine of the spectators card after selected-Deck
is respread & 1 card from the deck is missing only to appear in envelope across stage
previously shown empty etc...

Highly recommended-Now in Bicycle back.....
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I bought the mind power deck when it was newly on the market and it produced some of the strongest reactions I've ever had. I never had a problem with the odd back design because of the patter I use. At the end I give myself an excuse to put the deck away without it being examined, I do a color change of the top card into a blank one then reverse fan the cards to show all blank cards then explain that I hypnotised them before the trick and there was never anything printed on the cards in the first place.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Stevens Magic has it in Bicycle Red available now...
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
".....so why don't you just add 8 bicycle cards to give away from the deck?!?!?!?!?!? "

like all great ideas, this seems completely self-eivident in retrospect; but I certainly didn't think of it.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
I'd never heard of this but, wow, the demo video is pretty powerful. I have an idea but still this looks awesome. Might have to grab one. Thanks a lot for bringing this up.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Thanks Peo,
This post led me to another set of effects. This is something I am really interested in, but need to do more research--
all, thanks to you.
scott
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I just ordered. I have been wanting this deck for some time now. I think supplies may be running down because Penguin has it listed as discontinued. I had to go tthrouh Amazon and got it from MJM. Great as well. Can't wait.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4832 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have lot of fun with The Deck, a true worker!
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Great deck.

I think what makes it a lot stronger is if you make it seem like you've made a prediction before the effect starts.

if you combine this with the iforce app... it's very strong. because you can reveal their card without it actually being said aloud.

it's funny, cause when this deck first came out... things like apps didn't even exist.

it might be fun to combine this effect with "the cooler"... because their thought of card could vanish from a fully examinable deck, moments after they saw it. and maybe use some sort of card to envelope (special delivery, black envelope, TKO 2.0 / UCCU, etc.).

the nice thing about presenting it where you make the prediction in advance, is that when you guess wrong, you can pretend like you messed up and play if off as a joke.

with the iforce app... you tell them that you're writing down a prediction... then you put on your best mentalism act and say "you're thinking of a black card" ... they say "no"... you play it off as a joke like "oh darn... well there goes my prediction already... but let's see if I can guess the card... it was a low card right". and if you get it wrong again... then it's even funnier because you're getting it wrong all the time. and when you do the reveal, the spectators will think you were guessing wrong on purpose and that you knew their card the whole time and you were just fooling around with them in the presentation.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4703 Posts

Profile of landmark
Nice use of the equi+MO principle, Adam. Almost impossible to backtrack.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
OK... I thought a bit more about how this could all be used in a parlour routine:

have the cooler on the table with a normal deck that is missing a few cards. also have a kennedy mystery box on the table too.

you spread out the mind power deck... tell the spectator that it's almost a full deck, cause it might be missing a few cards, but tell them to make sure that all the cards are different and that the deck looks normal.

then tell them to clear their mind. then tell them that you're going to spread the cards out again, but just for a few seconds, and you want them to look at one card and memorize it. explain to them that it's very important that they actually see the card and that they'll understand why later.

then use the cooler for a deck switch and put the new deck next to the kennedy mystery box.

then you tell them that you're going to take their thought of card, out of the deck, and fold it up and put it in the box. at this point, reiterate that they saw their card in the deck... and ask them if there's any doubt in their mind that their card is still there in the deck. they can shuffle the deck too if they want at that point. so now not only do you not know what card they're thinking of ... but even if you did know, you don't know where in the deck it is.

then you say something corny along the lines of "i can see your card traveling from the deck to the box.... it looks like a red card... is that right?" if you're right, you can claim some BS like you saw some 'red' colour in the space between the deck and the box as the card is traveling. tell them that their card is traveling invisibly from the deck to the box... but that it's not 100% invisible... you can still see little glimpses of their card. if you guess wrong... you can say something like ... "hummm.... well I think what must have happened is that your card traveled to the box and turned itself into a red card!.... but let me see.... it was a low card right?" or you can say how it's difficult to see colour during and invisible travel... but it's easier to see the value. or you play it off as a joke when you get it wrong, and the audience is expecting that the card in the kennedy mystery box is the wrong card. so you could say "now sometimes... very rarely... it's actually a different card that travels to the box... it's equally as impressive [sarcasm]... but this might be one of those days where your thought of card stays in the deck and a different card travels to the box". but obviously in the end, it's really their card so you play it off as a big joke where you're baiting them into thinking that the trick messed up and that it's the wrong card in the box.

at the end, everything is examinable. they can look through the deck and find no trace of their card... even though they saw it in the deck when you ribbon spread it.

also, if there was a card that they thought of and then changed their mind... and you know their chosen card and the card they almost chose... you can then do a legitamate load of their other thought of card into the kennedy mystery box while they're looking through the deck for their actual chosen card.

so let's say that they selected the king of diamonds... but you also determined that they first thought of the jack of spades and then changed their mind to the king of diamonds. you show that the kind of diamonds traveled to the kennedy mystery box. then they look through the deck to try to find the king of diamonds. as they're searching through the deck, you load the jack of spades into the box. then you tell them to put the deck down next to the loaded mystery box. then you repeat the effect. but this time, the spectator can open the box themselves and find that their other thought of card also traveled to the box.

this also provides some justification for why the deck is missing a few cards (if they decide to get really nitty and count the cards). cause they'll say that there are only 46 cards in total and that 6 cards are unaccounted for (44 in the deck, two folded up that traveled to the box, and 6 that are unaccounted for). you can say that you performed this trick 3 times, earlier in the day, and you couldn't use the folded up cards again, but that it was still pretty much a full deck and that it doesn't matter if the deck is missing a few cards.

I haven't actually tried this because it's rare that I get to perform on a nice surface where I can do a full ribbon spread... but I could see this routine being extremely strong! because when the card(s) are taken out of the box, they were never named... only thought of... and everything is fully examinable if you use the cooler.

and then you can reset the mystery box, put it under a glass or in some sort of case, and then have their signed card end up in the box for a finally. this makes everything seem more impresesive, because getting a signed card in the box proves that you can make cards appear in the box and therefore that duplicates aren't used. therefore, they'll really think that their thought of card really did travel in there, just like how their signed card somehow traveled in there. and even though you're using the box twice, you're using it once for a thought of card and once for a signed card... so they're a bit different effects. and obviously it makes sense why the thought of card couldn't have been signed, because then the magician would know the card you were thinking of. so having a signed card and having a thought of card both travel to this box should be equally impreseive and justify the double use of the box.

also, if you have two spectators... you can get each of them to think of one... then say ask them which person's card should travel to the box. so you do the trick for one of them first... but in the process, determine the other person's card too. so then you can load the second person's card in the box and then repeat the effect where the second person can open the box and get the card themself.

or, if you're doing it for one person, ask them to memorize two cards that are side by side. then get them to pick one to travel to the box. and when you know their first card, it should be easy to know their second card if you memorize which cards and next to each other... cause once you know their first card, you'll know their other card can only be one of two other cards and you wont have to do much fishing at all.
Christophe F
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Christophe F
I wonder if anyone can help. I have the mind power deck but haven't used it for a couple of years and have long lost the instructions. It's just been featured on a website again and reignited my interest in it. Does anyone have a set or copy or might direct me to where I might find one? Thanks!
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
811 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Apparently Kennedy has new ones in Bike and cut finer. Just ordered a deck from Murphy's to see the diff.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL