We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's one I forgot to post the other day. What's this?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All that white stuff covering the ground must make tracking a breeze! We don't get much of it by me. (THANK GOD!) I moved south on purpose just to avoid it.

I was in the Dominican Republic and right outside my door was a spider the size of my hand. Mind you I can completely hide a regular size Bicycle card in my palm without any of it showing in the fingers. THAT is a large spider!

I had to keep telling the guys in Mexico that the lizards are a GOOD thing to have in the house. They eat their weight in bugs.

I am always amazed we get turtles in the yard. I have no idea how as it is fenced. I always know because I won't see the dogs for longer than usual, and they are outside playing with the turtle. Sort of funny. 2 Boxers trying to get a turtle to play. I have a video of it somewhere I will put on You Tube.

Our other Boxer used to play with the Armadillos. They called it running like crazy but she thought it was great fun. This was before we had the house outside our condo.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 16:47, magicalaurie wrote:
Here's one I forgot to post the other day. What's this?

Hmm. The tracks are pretty degraded. Do you remember roughly how big everything is? Is each group a collection of four paws?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou both for posting. John, yes, no clear prints were discernible but I believe each group is a collection of four paws. From what I can recall, I'd say each group was about 6 inches in length. The maple keys in the shot might give a better indication of size, though. There weren't many groups and the distance between groups was interesting, too. I was wondering if it might be a rabbit, but more likely they belong to a squirrel? Obviously a guess on my part. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

If it was a rabbit, two of the paws would be much bigger than the other two. I've got some old snowshoe hare tracks in my back yard; I'll see if they are photographable when I get home.

They look like squirrel tracks, but from your description, it would have to be a pretty huge squirrel (at least compared to the little red squirrels I am familiar with). How big are your Eastern Grey Squirrels?

Apart from that, what has a stride like a rabbit? (Or maybe the pictures are deceptive; in each group are the front tracks bigger than the back ones?)
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks, John. One source says 9.5 to 12 inches body length for the Eastern Grey Squirrels, which I'd agree with. I do think the front tracks were bigger than the back ie. hind feet landed first. The butterfly shape of the groups is what caught my eye in the first place. This photo was taken at a clearing at the start of the trail- near the road. It's possible the individual had come running from across the road to get here.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I haven't had much time to check out all the pics but I'm almost 100 percent certain those are squirrel tracks. The size seems right to me. With both a squirrel and a rabbit the hind feet lands ahead of the front feet when they are bounding along. With a squirrel the front feet are side by side whereas with a rabbit the front feet are in a straight line.

EDIT. I drew a nice diagram showing the tracks with X's but when I post all the spaces get removed and it doesn't show correctly. Basically, with the Squirrel you see two large tracks up front, then two smaller tracks in the rear, with the rear tracks being side by side. As show in the pic. The rabbit looks much the same but the two smaller prints will be in a straight line. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT II. Here is a nice guide to tracks.
http://gfp.sd.gov/wildlife/docs/furbeare......hure.pdf
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 11:47, magicalaurie wrote:
ie. hind feet landed first.

By this I mean, of course, hind feet landed forward of front feet. Smile

Thanks, Marlin, I know what you mean. I've burnt typical rabbit tracks on my magic wand, so I'm familiar with the pattern and realize those in the photo are different. Snowshoe hare, as John mentioned above, was something I had in mind but I realize the odds are much more in favour of squirrel around here. Smile

Thanks very much for the great link. I read a really good tracking book about a month ago- borrowed from the library- but I'm going to have to buy a copy to refer to in order to learn to remember the tracks and sign. I had a little pocket size book of tracks years ago, but misplaced it and haven't been able to find it.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Anyone want to take a crack at these tracks I found a couple of weeks ago?

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Here's another set of tracks from further down the trail that I suspect are squirrel in the !! pattern.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for the pic! Something with a tail, for one, I think, Marlin. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 14:05, magicalaurie wrote:
Something with a tail, for one, Marlin. Smile

Definately. And a tail that it either can't lift up, or doesn't mind dragging in the snow.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

It's a tail-dragger of some sort, Marlin. Are they chipmunk-sized or muskrat-sized?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 14:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
It's a tail-dragger of some sort, Marlin. Are they chipmunk-sized or muskrat-sized?

I wish I had taken put something next to it for scale, I have a couple of other pics but it's very hard to tell. I would say the complete set of tracks, front and back was about 6" long.

I don't know what it is myself but if I had to guess I'd say it's definately a rodent of some sort. Very possibly a deer mouse, although it seemed a little bit on the large size for that. But it's possible. I don't believe it's a muskrat although there are a lot of 'rats in that area. I should post it to the Schlitz Audubon FB page and see if someone can ID it. I think it's some sort of mouse, or chipmunk, or something..
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I rarely carry a camera. Last night, as I pick up my wife and my daughter from the riding stable, I take a short detour through the paddocks. Sure enough, 2 rabbits and 4 coyotes walking not not 15 meters from me, in amongst the horses. Geez Louise, I've gotta start carrying a camera. (I did have a cell phone, but being old, it never occurred to me to try to use it.)

Gah.

John
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My moms dog is 1/2 Siberian Husky and 1/2 wolf. I wish I knew how to post pics here. He is a white wolf with blue eyes effectively. Nicest dog ever. Gentle, loving and just great. Well with the exception that no matter how much you train him he wants to ROAM. He helped raise our 3 boxers. Ya know taught them to be "dogs" if you understand my meaning.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Danny, I upload photos to photobucket, then copy the img code they list underneath the photo and paste the code into a post here. Hit submit and the image will appear. Some Café instruction here- scroll down to Adding images:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/faq.php

If you don't like photobucket, there are other image hosting sites. If you need any further assistance please ask. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OH I am a techno-moron at my very best.

If it is much beyond the concept of the power button I am lost. I am a luddite, but not by choice!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm no techie, but I've learned a few things. Smile

Above zero Celsius by more than several degrees here, today, so I hit the trail. Great fresh deer tracks right at the front of the trail, going forward and back and walking on the trail and off on excursions and under waist-high limbs and branches and lower, so maybe some not very tall ones out. I didn't see them but their tracks were very clear. Great squirrel tracks visible today, too, and I got some pics of those, as well. Foggy in the woods and differing temperatures in areas, too.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL