The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Violence Against Women Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..15~16~17 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
And the GOP wonders why it lost the women's votes.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-01-04 13:58, mastermindreader wrote:

And the GOP wonders why it lost the women's votes.

I was just about to post something to that effect. It's almost as though you were reading my mind!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Embarrassing Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The right-wing Republicans believe that illegal immigrant women, lesbian or bi-women, transgenders or other vulnerable people--people who are not the women they can imagine as wives, daughters or as socially acceptable--don't deserve to be, and should not be protected from violence and rape.

Why, I don't understand.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
That was stupid of the GOP.

I wonder if women will feel the same about Democrats who support the publication of battered women's names and addresses in the newspaper simply because they have a gun permit for protection against an abusive ex?

I know. I know. Somehow, "that's different."
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Abuse is abuse, not to be tolerated regardless of any immigration status or sexual orientation. But if an illegal immigrant decides to report abuse, they shouldn't be shielded from deportation, why should they? Should a shoplifter be shielded from arrest because they were slapped? Nope! an illegal immigrant in general has already caused more financial burden to their local and state than the shoplifter that stole a CD. The federal charges are WAY more serious than the petty/misdemeanor theft. So I expect to hear that the woman or man shouldn't have to be in fear to report such a crime as they don't want to be deported. WELL GET THE HECK OUT OF OUR COUNTRY YA DUMB IDIOT! You know you're breaking this countries law and don't expect us to enforce it? Go back to where you came from and do it the right way.

I'd like to see a bunch of interviews with potential immigrants from other countries to get their opinions on these people that like to cut in line in front of everyone else, and then for the liberals to have the nerve to support their actions. I bet they feel horrible and sick to their stomachs about the entire situation.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Lunatik-

I guess you're not aware that many GOPers opposed the bill because it included native American women as well. Last I looked, they're not immigrants.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-04 23:24, RobertSmith wrote:

I wonder if women will feel the same about Democrats who support the publication of battered women's names and addresses in the newspaper simply because they have a gun permit for protection against an abusive ex?

You'll stretch any deplorable act by the GOP into an attack on Democrats, won't you? I guess you are unaware that many Democrats are opposed to the publication of names and addresses of gun owners. Even the pundits on MSNBC are sharply divided on the issue, with the majority opposed to publication.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 00:16, mastermindreader wrote:
Lunatik-

I guess you're not aware that many GOPers opposed the bill because it included native American women as well. Last I looked, they're not immigrants.

and if it's just for the fact that they are native american, then they are wrong. abuse is abuse, not to be ignored.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 00:20, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-04 23:24, RobertSmith wrote:

You'll stretch any deplorable act by the GOP into an attack on Democrats, won't you? I guess you are unaware that many Democrats are opposed to the publication of names and addresses of gun owners. Even the pundits on MSNBC are sharply divided on the issue, with the majority opposed to publication.

You don't find outing the home addresses of women who are victims of domestic violence and in fear for their safety a deplorable act?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Last I checked, what was being released was the information of gun owners. Unless I'm mistaken, this information doesn't include WHY they own the gun. I've never purchased a gun but I don't believe part of the process includes a "who do you plan to shoot and for what purpose?" question on the form. I personally would find it deplorable to release their information which included that they were abused, if that's what was happening here. However, it's not. If you want to go after a group doing that, why not attack whomever prints the phone book in your area? I'm sure there are some abused women in there. How dare you, Pacific Bell!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-05 01:22, RobertSmith wrote:

You don't find outing the home addresses of women who are victims of domestic violence and in fear for their safety a deplorable act?

Is THAT what you managed to twist out of my reply? Amazing, simply amazing.

Reread what I wrote. (And what Andrew wrote as well.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And what does the gun control argument, which already has three threads going, have to do with the GOP failing to renew the Violence Against Women act? But I understand the diversion. It IS hard to defend the indefensible.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
The GOP has been hijacked by extremists. I can't see how they could have allowed this bill to expire. I am sure this will cost the GOP at the polls.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It already did. They were fighting against the Violence against women act for a long time. Women didn't vote for the Republic party in this election. They won't vote for them again, I suspect.

The Republican Party wasn't "hijacked" by extremists. They have been attracting them, coddling them, enabling them and encouraging them into the party since Nixon's Southern strategy began.

They swallowed all the 1960's Democrat's Dixiecrats whole, and they have been trying to digest them unsuccessfully ever since.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Laws don't protect people.
Laws don't provide a way out from a life of abuse.
I would oppose it simply because it singles out women.
This reminds me of the hate crime B.S.

Are ya abusing someone? Bad!
Does it matter how old or what sex or where the person abused is? Nope. Still Bad!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I don't know anything about the particular law, but FatHatter has a point. I'm not fond of the 'hate crime' complications myself.

Laws should be as clear and straight to the point as possible.

Violence against anyone should not be tolerated.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-05 11:23, FatHatter wrote:
Laws don't protect people.
Laws don't provide a way out from a life of abuse.
I would oppose it simply because it singles out women.
This reminds me of the hate crime B.S.

Are ya abusing someone? Bad!
Does it matter how old or what sex or where the person abused is? Nope. Still Bad!

I guess you've never read the Act. Despite its title, it applies to violence against BOTH sexes.

Since it doesn't, in fact, single out women, do you have any other spurious reasons to oppose it?
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 02:03, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Last I checked, what was being released was the information of gun owners. Unless I'm mistaken, this information doesn't include WHY they own the gun. I've never purchased a gun but I don't believe part of the process includes a "who do you plan to shoot and for what purpose?" question on the form. I personally would find it deplorable to release their information which included that they were abused, if that's what was happening here. However, it's not. If you want to go after a group doing that, why not attack whomever prints the phone book in your area? I'm sure there are some abused women in there. How dare you, Pacific Bell!

Let me connect the dots for you and Bob.

An abusive ex husband is paroled for beating his wife half to death.
He finds the list and looks up his ex wife's name.
Lo and behold, she pops up.
He watches the house, confirms it's her tracks her down and murders her.

Yet somehow you think this is about a phone book.

Abused women have the ability to unlist themselves from the phone book.

In NY however, they do not have the right to protect their name and address.

Go figure.

And if you think publication of this list isn't an epic cluster, just ask jail guards in NYC who are now being threatened by inmates who now know their home addresses.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Violence Against Women Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL