The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Violence Against Women Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..15~16~17 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Gee. I could have sworn that taxes paid for public schools, interstate highways, our military and tons of other stuff. Who woulda thunk that taxes don't really pay for anything?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

Taxes are just monies taken from people who produced them. My point is not that taxes aren't the vehicle for government spending, but that the government produces nothing. The people who created the wealth that the government takes in the form of taxes are the ones who are doing the paying - for everything.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Of course. But your words were "Taxes don't pay for anything" NOT "Government doesn't pay for anything."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think my statement was correct. "Taxes" don't pay for anything; taxpayers do.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Now you're just parsing words. The taxpayers give money to the government in the form of taxes. Those taxes are used to pay for everything the government does.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think it is useful for us, the taxpayers, and also the taxers and tax-spenders, to remember the source of the money. They are not conjured out of nothing, or even a single platinum coin. They are skimmed off the top of what individual people produce.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes. That is the definition of taxes. Are you are asserting that taxes are wrong, even though the Founders explicitly granted Congress the power to levy them to provide for the general welfare? (I know- here we go again into the Hamiltonian vs. Madison interpretations of "general welfare. Smile)
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
No, I don't think taxation is wrong. I don't even think Federal taxation is wrong, when taxes are used for purposes that are among those powers enumerated in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And, of course, that's where all the argument is. You and I, and scores of constitutional scholars, have very different ideas about the interpretation of Articl 1, Section 8, particularly when it comes to the general welfare clause.

Not to mention the interrelationship with Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce enumerated elsewhere in the Constitution.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quite right. There are many people who subscribe to all sorts of wrong opinions!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-13 15:16, Woland wrote:
Quite right. There are many people who subscribe to all sorts of wrong opinions!

At least we agree on that!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Indeed.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 12:13, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 12:06, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 22:11, Woland wrote:
Quote:
There's some native Americans who'd like to have a word with you.

Who would they be? And what about?

They want their land back. You yourself said we have no right to it:

Quote:
As individuals, neither you nor I have the right to seize someone else's property because we think it could be put to uses better than he chooses. That would be theft. Since we have no right to be thieves, we can't transfer that right to our community. That wouldn't be a community, but a gang. Even if your gang has 100,000,000 members, if in the United States you are seizing a man's property for purposes that are not enumerated in the Constitution, it is still theft.

What laws were in effect here when we and the Indians had our differences?

No laws, just ethics. The Europeans were the pillaging invaders.
"Homeland Security, defending America since 1492."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Well, there were SOME laws- like the many treaties we had with the Indians which we broke whenever it was convenient.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
What happened to the Indians here is what has happened every time an agricultural society comes into contact with a hunter-gatherer society. Unless I am mistaken, the Indians (who didn't necessarily see themselves as a unit) did a lot of fighting and pillaging amongst themselves. Does any nation on earth hold an undisputed title to its territory?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Was that a valid excuse for Europeans to come in a'pillaging?
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 19:18, Woland wrote:
Does any nation on earth hold an undisputed title to its territory?

So, the USA isn't 'sovereign.' Interesting. Smile
- Albert Camus
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 22:52, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Was that a valid excuse for Europeans to come in a'pillaging?

Probably, since this how many Indian tribes operated themselves. It's something they could understand by past practice on other tribes they encountered.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Steve,

Who authorized the Magyars to leave the steppes and cross over the Carpathians into Hungary? It wasn't so very long ago. Who authorized the Viets to leave south central China and drive the people they encountered into the Montagnes? Who authorized the Dakotas and the Tsistsistas to leave the lakes and push the Absarokes west?

The inability to answer those questions, by the way, does not mean that the US is not "sovereign." The US is absolutely sovereign over its territory, so long as its citizens are willing to defend it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 19:18, Woland wrote:
What happened to the Indians here is what has happened every time an agricultural society comes into contact with a hunter-gatherer society.

Little matter of an Ocean there. Wasn't like they were rubbing up against each other on the subway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Violence Against Women Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL