The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Waking Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
There's a very interesting topic on Hyp resources going on, and I thought I'd ask about what is termed "Waking Hypnosis." Can anyone recommend some resources to study?

For instance, where can I find info on the Dr. Q Hypnotic Act? (It's been mentioned here before, and I've done a search, but haven't had any luck. Maybe I'm using the wrong key words.) Also, Bill O'Connell has a video on Waking Hypnosis. Anyone care to offer a critique?

Thanks much! See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
The encyclopedia of stage hypnosis by ormond mcgill. I am currently glancing through it ironically enough.
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
It's not ironic if you knew cheated by divining that it was going to be fortuitous to do so...lol.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Waking hypnosis is a bit of an oxymoron. Hypnosis literally means "sleep like" state or "trance". Waking hypnosis is hypnosis done while *awake*. So, it's "awake sleep-like state".

Confusing? Yup. But so is the whole entire hypnosis community. Ask enough people and you'll walk away knowing less than when you started!!

In stage hypnosis, for example, a waking test would be the hand clasp/stick. You don't need any form of "hypnosis" to accomplish this, merely suggestion.

Ormond McGill's Encyclopedia would be a terrific start to learning this stuff.

Best,

Blair

Stage Hypnosis Secrets Revealed:www.Mental-List.com/masterhypnosis.htm
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I will be also interest in the waking-hypnosis video by Bill O'Connell anyone can help, please

Thanks

Kuffs
majhra
View Profile
New user
Australia
61 Posts

Profile of majhra
If you have no experience with hypnosis, you'll have a tough time understanding, let alone doing 'wakeing hypnosis'. Your best bet (if you do or don't know hypnosis) is getting on a good Ericksonian Course. (There are many around the world - http://www.erickson-foundation.org/ will give you pointers and background). Once you have a good foundation of Ericksinian hypnosis techniques, it's only a small leap to get hypnotic phenomena in an awake state (which is what I assume you mean by ‘waking hypnosis’)...

As a basis, Blair is correct - if you want to learn 'stage hypnosis' get Ormond's encyclopaedia. It’s worth it’s weight in Gold (and it’s quite large!).

Regards,
M
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
M how much could this course honestly weigh? 1 lbs? Smile
majhra
View Profile
New user
Australia
61 Posts

Profile of majhra
To calculate the weight of the course, add the weight of attendees and teachers, then times by the number of days. Add a few extra pounds if there is chocolate cake...
And thanks to a combination of time distortion and negative hallucination, you won't even notice...

:-)

M.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
ANother excellent place for research into this fascinating area is to do a search on ideomotor tests, which is what a lot of "waking hypnosis" is all about.

Another interesting source is a book titled "Body Magic" by Fisher.

BTW, Blair, the term waking hypnosis is generally taken to mean an altered state of mind where the effects of hypnosis can be easily deomnstrated, but the appearance of a sleep like state is not present.

James Braid, the British physician who coined the word in the mid-1800's, named the state after the Greek God of sleep, Hypnos. But, subsequent research and brainwave testing has conclusively shown that the state we refer to as hypnosis is actually far more akin to deep relaxation or, even more closely related to intense relaxed concentration.

Just an FYI from a guy in the field since the sixth grade (I'm 51 as of this posting).

And you are quite right about the hypnotists out there being a confusing bunch! That's why I love them! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Waking hypnosis:

My definition is a state where the person looks like they are normal in every way yet respond to the most bizzarre post hypnotic suggections. For example I ponce hypnotised my brother-inlaw and told his bum wouldfeel as if it was on fire everytime the tv commentator named a boxer who was fighting livethat night. He couldn't remember being hypnotised klooked normal in everyway yet jumped and acted just as if his bum was on fire everytime the commentator and only he mentioned that name. He had no clue he had previously been hypnotised. |When suggestions were removed he had no recollection of what had happened previously..

Sometimes doing this in a normal setting can be more impressive than on stage as it drives hom the real power of this process. Ive done similar things with a large number of people over the years and it never ceases to amaze me.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Shrink, that is too funny! Thanks for sharing!

Wait a minute, why does MY butt feel hot? Smile

See ya!
Joe L.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Shrink! Nice, your evil!
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
The Bill O'Connel tape is pretty good if you look past the bad production quality. He just sits at a desk and talks the entire time. This seems to be the format for all of his videos. However, the information on the tape is well worth the time and money to anyone starting out in stage hypnosis. BTW, he also has a full stage hypnosis course that has almost everything you would need to do a show. The only fault is that he does not address abreaction. Hope that helps.

Best Thoughts,
Stan
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Thanks, Stan. I have Bill O'Connell's hyp course, and it does indeed seem very complete.

The shortcomings you mention on his Waking Hypnosis video are addressed on the Ebay auction he has. Thanks for the critique. The idea of producing hypnotic phenomena without an induction is fascinating to me.

See ya!
Joe L.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
The Dr. Q Act is actually in the 1975 release which is titled Professional Stage Hypnotism for Magicians. Though the 1947 edition of the Encyclopedia has the waking hypnosis exercises. I plan on trying the forgetting your name on my wife when I get the script memorized.

Hope this helps.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Is the Bill O'Connell DVD called "The Amazing Power of Hypnosis"? I found this one and it says you can get them to think they're a chicken and all that without hypnotizing them. Does this mean he gets them to do stuff while they are awake? Isn't that what waking hypnosis is? If anyone could explain it more, I'd appreciate it, thanks
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Mental Mike - Yes, that is in Bill O'Connell's description of the Amazing Power Of Waking Hypnosis. I've got the DVD version on it's way to me. I've got to see what this is all about!

Martin - Thanks for the info on the DR. Q act. I'll look for that book. I believe I read somewhere else on this board that Kreskin is masterful at presenting the Dr. Q act.

See ya!
Joe L.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Would you be able to give a little review of the DVD for me when you get it, Jlibby? Thanks
Saboteur
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Saboteur
Lee Darrow: Can you provide more information on the book "Body Magic". I did a few searches and didn't yeild anything I'm looking for.

What am I looking for? A brief overview of its contents perhaps? What kind of effects are in there?

I love the kind of effects that can be shown to people without any props etc.. is this book a good source for these types??
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2003-11-24 10:21, Mental_Mike wrote:
Would you be able to give a little review of the Dvd for me when you get it,Jlibby? Thanks

I'll be happy to. Stay tuned!

See ya!
Joe L.

Okay Ladies and Gents, as promised, my review of Bill O'Connell's Amazing Power Of Waking Hypnosis DVD.

I purchased this off of his Ebay auction, where he is very upfront about the drawbacks of the DVD. He is sitting at the camera, talking to you the entire time; he does visually demonstrate several of the suggestibility tests, which is a big help. And it's not a glossy video production, in fact the picture is somewhat grainy (perhaps due to the video to DVD transfer); however, you can see and hear everything clearly. I also received a CD-Rom with the Course Outline Word Document; pop it into your computer, print it out, and follow along with the DVD.

What you're paying for is the information, and for that, it's a bargain. He talks about the fundamental reasons why a hypnotist (whether he uses an induction or not) is able to get people on stage and do those crazy, hilarious stunts. He explains several reasons why you may want to get into performing Waking Hypnosis as opposed to traditional Stage Hypnosis. He gives several additional resources for study and names performers who regularly perform waking hypnosis.

Just understanding the core concepts that make stage hypnosis work will give confidence to anyone starting out in this field. Also, by using Waking Hypnosis, you can offer clients a different option and set yourself apart from the competition.

I think anyone with an interest in hypnosis will find this a valuable addition to his or her video library. If you go to Ebay and put in a search for Stage Hypnosis, you won't find it there. But you will find some of Bill's other auctions, and from there you should be able to find a link to the Waking Hypnosis DVD.

See ya!
Joe L.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Waking Hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL