The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need guidance for making one Switching Basket (like a Changing bag) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mobileman
View Profile
New user
India
80 Posts

Profile of mobileman
Experts and friends,
pls share few ideas or even images for making a switching basket(low cost) just like the Colour Changing Bag principle.

any twists for a DIY??

lovingly
mobileman
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you know the Color Changing Bag principal you know what you need to do.

It will have to be a lined (and a half) basket) you'll do the lining.

It has to be deep enough for clearance and a rounder bottom will be helpful.

Either get a color that mimics the basket if you think the deception will work or get something that has a strong contrast so it doesn't look like you are trying to hide the material.

A bow or some such on the edge of the basket could help hide the "switch".

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
A basket with a towel inside hanging over the edges is a time honored way of carrying food to picnics. Two colorful kitchen towels sewn together at the center ...

Here a pattern camouflages the casually draped multiple layers and the natural passing of the basket from hand to hand allows for a compartment switch (3).

PM me if you can't figure it out. Multiple compartments and a natural looking prop. I have used one for more than 50 years in many different applications.

I also have a matching basket that is un-gimicked for use with other effects.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
From an engineering perspective, the basket should be no less than twice as long as it is deep. Width can be irrelevant. This makes sure the revolving wire can clear the bottom of the basket as it moves. This also assumes you use the same basic principle as a typical change bag.

There are however, other possible designs. I think there may be something described as far back as Hoffmann, of a switching box or basket that has a simple flap that hinges to the bottom center. This flap lays at an angle from the bottom to one top edge (or slightly below the edge). This allows for some hollow space underneath, and it can swing to the opposite side to open that area, while concealing the opposite side (like the gimmicked top hats).

I'd imagine that funsway's design is a similar principle, but even simpler to construct.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need guidance for making one Switching Basket (like a Changing bag) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL