The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Tossed Out Book Test - Chris Philpott (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
91 Posts

Profile of ahofer
This is an incredibly good, and perfectly produced effect. A fantastic addition to the book test repertoire. And as Chris says, if used along with MOAB, the two effects enhance each other while the methods cancel each other out. Can't wait to use in front of audiences in shows this spring. I always thought the MOAB books were the most perfectly produced, deceptive books, but the TOBT books are right up there in quality as well. Bravo.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thanks, ahofer and Mind Guerrilla! Appreciate you comment about Dick Christian -- he and I corresponded a number of times after he wrote about Incandescence (my first book test) and I read his lecture notes thoroughly before designing this one. I would have loved to talk to him about TOBT -- he was very knowledgeable, insightful and fun. Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3427 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I received my copy today and the first thing I did was study the books looking for the gaffs, couldn't find a thing, if I didn't know better id think these books were the genuine article. I'd have absolutely no concerns about the spectators giving these a very good study. Method wise it does not get much easier, very little memory work needed so you can focus entirely on the presentation. The books are fantastically made, they look exactly as they should and can stand up to very close scrutiny even by somebody very familiar with the genuine books.

The instructions are very well written with several variations including a single book version and a single spectator version. The instructions detail presentation, scripting and even some stage craft. There are also tips and variations for different performing situations. The standard effect is simple, direct and very powerful, there is an advanced version of the main effect designed to include more hits and build the tension for the final reveal. There is a version of Richard Osterlind's seafire sequence and a variation based on Max Maven's tossed out tech. Oh and there is also a nice impromptu book test included.

All in all a very solid book test and one which I plan on adding to my act although I will be including one of my Ne plus ultra books so that I can do something special for the last person standing as a climax for the routine.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Thanks, Mark!
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

In the "Better late than never" category, I finally have some performance footage on this! David and Leeman have allowed me to use their presentation from their Fringe show: http://youtu.be/PVHLn81BxZk . They do a great job of it -- many thanks to them!
-Chris
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Thanks for posting the video, Chris. Get ready to sell more books! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is a very clever effect- very well thought out and very well executed. Worth every penny. The books all look 100% legit and are fully examinable.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
441 Posts

Profile of robvh
I would like to know about the scalability of this effect. By default it's a five person effect and I know there's a one person version. What about numbers in between? Multiple volunteers is great but it would be nice to be able to go with 2, 3 or 4 depending on venue size, desired length of routine, etc. Is this covered in the instructions?

David and Leeman are very entertaining performers and I love all the comedy by-okay they work into their show. When it comes to the effect though, the repeated instructions "to look at the first line, then the first word on that line" starts to seem really fishy to me. If you could read minds, why would they need to look at the first word on the page? Why couldn't they just pick any word on the page? This aspect of many book tests really bugs me.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, robvh wrote:
I would like to know about the scalability of this effect. By default it's a five person effect and I know there's a one person version. What about numbers in between? Multiple volunteers is great but it would be nice to be able to go with 2, 3 or 4 depending on venue size, desired length of routine, etc. Is this covered in the instructions?

Not per se. While I don't see how a 2 person version could work, a 3 or 4 person version seems possible by using a Ran Pink subtlety discussed on page 20 of the manual. As far as venue size, the very nature of the effect (as its name- based on a classic effect- indicates), makes it better suited for a large number of specs.

Quote:
When it comes to the effect though, the repeated instructions "to look at the first line, then the first word on that line" starts to seem really fishy to me. If you could read minds, why would they need to look at the first word on the page? Why couldn't they just pick any word on the page? This aspect of many book tests really bugs me.

The first word on the page is ideal because it is not surrounded on all sides by other words. A spectator's concentration on a word in the middle of a page or a line can be less focused because the surrounding words, seen in the spec's peripheral vision, can interfere with thought transmission. I thought all mind readers knew this. Smile
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Thanks, Mind Guerrilla!

Hey Robvh -- Max Maven was kind enough to let me include a variation of his Tossed Out Tech which uses two people and two books -- it's one of my favorite routines in this. As for choosing the first word on the page, many of the best book tests from Flashback to Booked use this ploy -- it's pretty well-established and there are lots of good "excuses" for it out there. Personally, after they check out the books I have them close the books and clear their minds -- I'm going to be reading five minds at once and this is incredibly difficult so "please, this time when you open the books I want you to look at only one word: the first word on any page." Considering these are well known books and they've already examined them, there is never any suspicion about this.

D and L really spell it out and that may not be to all tastes, but I think it works for them: they talk a lot and they talk fast -- being extra clear is smart.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, robvh wrote:

Not per se. While I don't see how a 2 person version could work, a 3 or 4 person version seems possible by using a Ran Pink subtlety discussed on page 20 of the manual.

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, Chris Philpott wrote:
Max Maven was kind enough to let me include a variation of his Tossed Out Tech which uses two people and two books --

I stand corrected! That's right. Page 28. Smile
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

No worries, MG. There are a lot of handlings -- even I forget some!
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
I own boxes of book tests BUT this is the one I use. Those posters wanting to reduce the numbers of participants are missing out on a key facet of this effect. The reactions of the non-participants in the audience is greatly enhanced when 5 people sit down all at the same time. While the participants are mystified by your revalation, it is those non-participating spectators who gasp when the participants sit down.
Mike
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, Chris Philpott wrote:
As for choosing the first word on the page, many of the best book tests from Flashback to Booked use this ploy -- it's pretty well-established and there are lots of good "excuses" for it out there. Personally, after they check out the books I have them close the books and clear their minds -- I'm going to be reading five minds at once and this is incredibly difficult so "please, this time when you open the books I want you to look at only one word: the first word on any page." Considering these are well known books and they've already examined them, there is never any suspicion about this.

During one scene on this year's DOCTOR WHO Christmas special, The Doctor tosed out four books to four people, had them each turn to a page and look at the first word. I'm just sayin'. Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Could the doctor be a secret mentalist ? He would certainly have no travel expenses, if you could time travel which period would you like to go to ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
I would not let an episode of Dr. Who prevent you from performing this outstanding effect. Although the followers of Dr. Who are loyal to the max they make up a VERY small percentage of the population. "Don't run if you are not being chased"!
Mike
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, mtoth2008 wrote:
I would not let an episode of Dr. Who prevent you from performing this outstanding effect.

"Prevent?" Far from it. The Doctor wasn't performing a book test. The scene just made me think of this thread.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2013, Francois Lagrange wrote:
From the video it's softback - thanks god. Tossing a hardback among the audience could be quite dangerous!? .

I know! My "Calling Doctor Hoy!" telephone book test had to be pulled from the market after several alleged "incidents" ...
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Mind Guerilla -- very intrigued by the Doctor Who scene. I'm way behind on the series (I binge watch it on Netflix now and then).

Cheesewrestler: hahaha!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Tossed Out Book Test - Chris Philpott (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL