The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket Inventor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is a book on Carl Rosini caleld "Cal Rosini, his life and his magic" written by Robert Olseon in 1966. Magic Inc published it. In looking again at the book, he advertised changing a Swede into a Dane. Swedish girl changed to a Great Dane dog. Much like a lions bride which Lafayette invvented with the bottom load for the girl.

I member going through a collection that was Carl Rosini's, That had a very large glass paneled Crystal casket in it. Rosini lived next to Howard Thurston at Beechcrest. He was also very close friends with Servais LeRoy. Possibly LeRoy came up with this. The books says that Rosini used the costume trunk and LeRoy's asrah table. Not too far of a stretch to make a Crystal Casket from either of these.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
That is GREAT info Richard! Thanks! I wish we had more dates given as an indication. OBVIOUSLY Jackie Gleason didn't invent it, haha, but he's got the earliest recorded performance so far! Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Matt, the Rosenfeld patents you are looking for are 787,589 application filed 1904, letters issued 1905 and 787,946 dated 1905.

The first is the Crystal Box which is to be filled with water, and the person to be produced is on a back ledge, the second is the more familiar Crystal Box (Casket) with the person in the base filed just a little later.

In the sketches he shows the person to be laying full out.

Another interesting note is in BOTH cases, even the standard casket where he suggests the person can be hidden under a cloth cover, he supplies an air tube for them to breathe comfortably. We better not tell our assistants about that one.

The type of base he discusses is similar to the Vainshing Princess of Thebes" with a spring loaded bottom, which once the person makes their way into the casket comes up flush, making the base thinner. I believe Alcorn is one of the few builders that used this style of base for the early casket designs in the mid 60's. George Goebel I believe used this style of unit and is pictured in his book performing it, the photos also appear in many old magazines of him performing it. TOPS showed the entire sequence with about 4-5 photos.

Owen Magic advertises a Crystal Casket in their 1964 catalogue, and it does not resemble the old Thayer style base, like the one used earlier by John Daniel in the 50's with his wife Irene (at that time).

As I have photos of John in my collection I am posting his photo with Irene in his Casket, and my John Gaughan Casket built in the late 70's early 80's, on my Fan Page, if you are interested you can see them there (address below).

Blair
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 15:23, Blair Marshall wrote:
Matt, the Rosenfeld patents you are looking for are 787,589 application filed 1904, letters issued 1905 and 787,946 dated 1905.

The first is the Crystal Box which is to be filled with water, and the person to be produced is on a back ledge, the second is the more familiar Crystal Box (Casket) with the person in the base filed just a little later.

In the sketches he shows the person to be laying full out.

Another interesting note is in BOTH cases, even the standard casket where he suggests the person can be hidden under a cloth cover, he supplies an air tube for them to breathe comfortably. We better not tell our assistants about that one.

The type of base he discusses is similar to the Vainshing Princess of Thebes" with a spring loaded bottom, which once the person makes their way into the casket comes up flush, making the base thinner. I believe Alcorn is one of the few builders that used this style of base for the early casket designs in the mid 60's. George Goebel I believe used this style of unit and is pictured in his book performing it, the photos also appear in many old magazines of him performing it. TOPS showed the entire sequence with about 4-5 photos.

Owen Magic advertises a Crystal Casket in their 1964 catalogue, and it does not resemble the old Thayer style base, like the one used earlier by John Daniel in the 50's with his wife Irene (at that time).

As I have photos of John in my collection I am posting his photo with Irene in his Casket, and my John Gaughan Casket built in the late 70's early 80's, on my Fan Page, if you are interested you can see them there (address below).

Blair

Finally!! Some answers on this ellusive thing!! Smile

Thank you for this Blair! Also, if any of those photos strike my fancy...may I use them on the Illusion Repository? You can PM me about this if you wish.

Hereward Carrington reveals the "crystal coffin" in Modern Mechanics, V. 30, March 1915.

It took me an hour to find that volume online...but as I said, I can find just about anything. This detailed explanation involves a hanging coffin with a girl inside. The lid actually swings down partway basically seving as a giant mirror box and the girl "vanishes" in this fashion. I would suppose she could be made to appear in the reverse fashion, but that is not how it's detailed.

Cool...but not the illusion I was looking for. Smile

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
It's on page 393 for those that would like to read about the "other" illusion.

http://books.google.com/books?id=o_LNAAA......&f=false

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
And with my newfound information...I found this gem of a writeup.

http://smallmagicollector.wordpress.com/......er-tank/

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
PM sent.

B
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe it was Les Smith who credited William Robinson. Whether this is correct or not is debatable but certainly it would appear to be the proper time frame and something Robinson could have came up with.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
This from Magipedia
"L. Cohen was a magician and inventor in of Brooklyn, New York. Many of his ideas and effects were published in Mahatma, Sphinx and the Magical Bulletin in the early 1900s.

Amongst the number of his inventions were Cards Up the Chair, An Absorbing Feat, A Brilliant Production, Old Glory Handkerchief Star, The Crystal Triangle Casket, The Egyptian Tubes, An Interchangeable Trick, The Inexhaustible Fairy Tumbler, Kling Klang with One Egg and One Handkerchief, the Handkerchief to Billiard Ball by Means of Glass Ball, the New Method of Producing Articles from Wand in Empty Hand by Throwing Movement.[1] "

Magipedia also says the Crystal Casket was exposed in the Walter Gibson/ Radner Science and Mechanics Magic Handbook. I'll look and see if any mention of a name for the inventor in thast book.
No mention of the inventor
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 15:54, spartacus wrote:
This from Magipedia
"L. Cohen was a magician and inventor in of Brooklyn, New York...

Amongst the number of his inventions were ... The Crystal Triangle Casket ..."

Thanks for looking! This is actually not the same illusion under investigation, however.

Quote:
On 2013-01-19 15:54, spartacus wrote:
Magipedia also says the Crystal Casket was exposed in the Walter Gibson/ Radner Science and Mechanics Magic Handbook.

It was actually exposed in March 1915 in Modern Mechanics - but again, it wasn't the same illusion under investigation, but rather a water illusion, if memory serves me correctly.

Here's my latest information on the crystal casket as it appears on the IR.

http://www.illusionrepository.com/illusi......-casket/

Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
The Science and Mechanics expose was a glass box that filled up with silks after being shown empty...no water. I guess it was Abbott's little box. Too bad they exposed this to such a wide audience.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I think that the stage size Crystal Box goes back much further in time than the periods that most of you are discussing. And the answer to who originally created it is probably lost in time.

Regarding the Jackie Gleason Magic Special. All of the magic for the show was provided and supervised by Magician Milbourne Christopher. And virtually all of it was from the Abbott catalog of the time. I got my first Abbott catalog in 1959, and the Crystal Box was in it.

To Richard Hughes: It certainly would take a well trained dog to come up out of the b*** at the proper time. Stan Kramien produced a Great Dane, but he used a Lion's Bride Illusion so the dog didn't have to do much. David Copperfield used two or three Sheep Dogs in his version of "Bump."

Joe Smiley made a St. Bernard appear in a Dog House which was basically a tip-oper box illusion.

Recently magic doesn't seem to be going to the dogs as much.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dennis,
Rosini's dog was used in a Lion's Bride kind of affair. The gi8rl used the bse.

I remember see Joe Smiley work with the big old St. Bernard several times. Joe.. now there was a showman!
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I'm trying to attach a picture of Joe Smiley. He is one of the guys that influenced me as a youngster. Hopefully you'll be able to see one of his promo pieces in the attachment.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Apparently the attachment thing didn't work. Does anybody know how I can add a jpg to the Café? I've seen a handful of posts that had a picture, but I don't know how to do it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I haven't figured out how to get a picture withing a Thread or on the Café at all. But, I did open a PhotoBucket account in my name and posted two jpgs of Joe and George Smiley that some of you guys might like to look at. Here's a link to the first one, then just hit the arrow to the right of the picture to see the second one. Those promo pieces were given to me by Joe in about 1949 or 50 when he and his wife performed at our County Fair in Onekama, Michigan.

Dennis Loomis

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dennis,
I probably have the same two promo pieces he gave me. Didn't he look a little like Howard Thurston?

I had a customer get me a movie of Joe doing a Christmas show in his latter years. Props were pretty worn but the spark of a true performer was still very evident.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
CRYSTAL CASKET...One of the early props that I bought from Percy, about 1946. I used it with big silk. IT CAN BE SHOWN EMPTY AND ROTATED 360 DEGREES. --I think that that was a Joe Berg idea. --Just hold the (cube shaped) casket with the load side against your palm. this works with the large or small casket. They are looking thru the bottom, top, and 2 sides. Rotate it up and flip the "button" simltaneously, voila! (that's for Charlie Miller) I saw Loring Campbell in 1950, vanish a CROQUET ball (big devil hank) and it appeared visibly in a casket. (sp***g ball).

I saw Harry Blackstone Sr. do the crystal box illusion in '48 or '49at the old Davidson theater. He was obviously tired and not well. He leaned against the proscenium arch as the boys assembled the prop. It looked good.

I first saw Joe Smiley at Ocean View Amusememt Park in Norfolk, VA, about 1951. An overweight, cross eyed old man whose wife wore a prosthetic arm, KILLED THE AUDIENCE! At Abbotts (the year SPURLOCK was there)Joe and his wife, again killed them. I went backstage the afternoon before the show. He was setting up. I said, Joe! You've painted your tables!" He said, "Yeah--for the magicians!" Joe was a showman!

I met Carl Rosini in 1953 (Lancaster PA MAES CONVENTION). A fine old gentleman! In 2002, I was touring northern MONTANA. I played a small town elementary school,and an older woman (teacher) came up after and asked if I had ever heard of a magician named ROSINI. I said, "Yes. His real name was Carl Rosen." She answered, "No, it was Carl Rosenzweig." I asked, "How do you know that?" She said, "He was my uncle!"

Denny will remember Saul Sh****n. Saul auditioned for a school tour in Chicago in the mid '80s. I guess (!) Saul had seen Joe Smiley. Saul had a big doll house. He opened with the house. When he opened the house, a BIG dog (I think St B.) leaped out and knocked over most of the props on the stage. He didn't get a contract.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 16:22, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Apparently the attachment thing didn't work. Does anybody know how I can add a jpg to the Café? I've seen a handful of posts that had a picture, but I don't know how to do it.

Dennis Loomis

On your photo bucket page there is a box next to your picture that says "Image Link"
Go to the last one that says "Image Code"
Click that on and the link will be copied. you will get a message that it is copied
Go to the Magic Café thread where you want the picture to appear and paste.
click on the submit button to see if it worked. You can go back and edit and put comments under your picture if you want..
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 20:26, Dick Oslund wrote:
CRYSTAL CASKET...One of the early props that I bought from Percy, about 1946.

That's NOT what we are discussing here Dick. We are talking the Crystal Casket STAGE illusion. This one by Abbott is the small silk box. Not the same thing. Smile But cool info anyway. Haha

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket Inventor (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL