The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Producing a fan of coins from edge palm... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Ok, in the T. Nelson Downs description of Miser's Dream, in the J.B. Bobo book, he explains that he could produce a fan of coins from edge palm.

He notes that each time a new one is added there is an audible click.

I can picture it, but not do it. I don't see how the mechanics work.

I draw the first coin from the edge palmed stack using my ring and middle fingers, transfer it to my index and thumb, then repeat.

But when I try to add the second coin I have trouble. How do I go from the first coin between index and pointer, the second between ring and middle, to having both coins between index and pointer?

It seems like a sweet flourish, but I can't imagine how to effectively do it.

Don't tell me that I can't do it because I'm not practiced enough. The book left out the critical info on how to add a coin without dropping the others.
I can't practice what I cannot yet visualize.

Come to think of it, it's not edge palm but classic palm, but the same problem exists in how a coin between the 2 middle fingers is added to one held between the index and thumb, Bobo pg.316

Cheers
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a look in the Downs book, or the Buckley books, or (probably even) Sach's Sleight of Hand.

OR... ask Kainoa about the new edge grip moves Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Note! Bradleynott, This move you are talking about is considered to be one of the most difficult of all coin sleights. This was told to me by David Roth 2 years ago in Watertown, MA.

David showed me the move using half dollars . His mechanics in doing the move were absolutetly flawless, involving the audible click and all. I showed David that I could also do the same move using silver dollars. He commented that I did it fantastic! using 5 SILVER DOLLARS!

Bradleynott, let me tell you what I told David... I studied the mechanics of this move ,under the instructions of Allan Shaw (many years ago!)
For a "REAL" detailed description of this move try to get your hands on a book called "Principles and Deceptions"... by Arthur Buckley...PAGE #74
If by chance you can't find this book, PM me and I will be more than happy to send you the exact instructions by Allan Shaw.

Please note: This move also appears on pages #324 and #325 in the book "Magic Without Apparatus by Gaultier, and is credited to T. Nelson Downs.

The real beauty of this move lies in smartly bringing the coins up at the same short, regular intervals, and snapping them into place.

Good luck! It's a very smart move to learn.. For appearance as well as exercise and dexterity of your fingers.

MICKEY
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
I knew it would turn out to be such a difficult move. But easy moves never entice anyone to try them, so I guess I'll have to be patient.

It seems like an awesome flourish though...
I envy Downs...heh heh heh
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
The Buckley book was reprinted by Gamblers Book Club as a paperback, and again, by Dover. You should have no trouble finding a copy if you search the internet.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
In the Buckley book there is also an interesting flourish of producing them individually and placing them in different places.

For a more quieter approach I believe it mentioned doing it from the bottom.

Thanks to great people on this forum I have dug out my Buckley Book and have discovered a wealth of new/old stuff.

YOU are all appreciated by,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
I am a big fan of ebooks and the lybrary do the Buckley book on CD.
Check it out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Producing a fan of coins from edge palm... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL