The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "genius" effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1532 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Lorenzo - My comment about your first post was not meant as an insult to you, but rather to remind the folks that should know better that this is a publicly viewed forum. I'm glad to see you're not just lurking, and I don't believe you are someone who is just trying to collect effects and methods, however those people do exist and threads like this where everything is given up so quickly just makes it easier for those guys.

Nothing personal towards you at all, it's just that this forum can be a little too quick to give out methods, and we should be a little more reserved about what we say in public.

That said, I'm sure you'll enjoy 13 steps, as there is much in there that osterlind didn't/couldn't touch in his DVDs. It really is the bible of our art and is a book you will find yourself going back to year after year as you learn and expiriment more.

All the best,

Charles
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 14:11, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
Ah, I was just about to recommend Scott Cram's website, a treasure trove indeed. About 2 or 3 years ago, Café member "Mr. Mindbender" http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......er=34869 shared a wonderful premise for a magic square he came up with that involved post it notes and a crazy genius type of presentation with them. Not sure where that post is, but do a search for Magic Squares and his name, I'm sure many here will find it useful.

maybe this?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&36
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 13:56, DavidGamut wrote:
I also recommend Corinda. The Magic Square shows math genius and Day for any Date shows memory genius as well. There is more that can be applied as well.

There is a chess act that may be worth looking into

are you referring to the Knight's Tour already mentioned?
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 17:45, aalexander wrote:
If you're familiar with book tests and memory systems, why not do something simple like recite the contents of a "randomly" selected statistics/math textbook and then recite it back to the crowd? Could be very minimal work for a huge payoff that fits right in with the theme.

For example, I think it'd be great to use a number force like The Gift in The Logar Scrolls (any force would do though). There's the perfect premise of seeming to call out for random bits of information and then quickly and flawlessly tallying the total in your head (in fact you're keeping track of a much simpler number relationship). Have someone with a calculator confirm the page number, a participant flips there, and then recite all the digits on that page.

The prep would be pretty painless using 2know mnemonics software, a little longer if you aren't too familiar with the Phonetic Major System (very similar to the mnemonic system in 13 steps).

-Aaron.

sound impressive, I will work on it but I need to exercise mnemonic system before! Smile thanks.
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 13:03, GDGrey wrote:
You can reframe a lot of prediction effects so that, rather than being a demonstration of the paranormal or even of psychological influence, you are demonstrating some kind of "scientific" power of prognostication.
So that not only have you developed a "system" for predicting the outcome of a certain event, you can also do the necessary number-crunching in your head. With a little thought about what sorts of things a hyper-brainiac scientist might predict, and how he might go about it, standard methods should work well for "proving your hypothesis". For standard methods, I also recommend getting familiar with 13 Steps...

I was actually considering this option because the show has this kind of frame. in you opinion which of the standard methods will suit better?
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 08:23, Chaz93 wrote:
Lorenzo - My comment about your first post was not meant as an insult to you, but rather to remind the folks that should know better that this is a publicly viewed forum. I'm glad to see you're not just lurking, and I don't believe you are someone who is just trying to collect effects and methods, however those people do exist and threads like this where everything is given up so quickly just makes it easier for those guys.

Nothing personal towards you at all, it's just that this forum can be a little too quick to give out methods, and we should be a little more reserved about what we say in public.

That said, I'm sure you'll enjoy 13 steps, as there is much in there that osterlind didn't/couldn't touch in his DVDs. It really is the bible of our art and is a book you will find yourself going back to year after year as you learn and expiriment more.

All the best,

Charles

it was clear to me, no problem. Smile
I am not asking complete explanations of method but only advices to get the right direction for my project, there are so many effects and methods that the selection it's not easy. I am willing to buy book, DVD and gimmick but possibly the right one!
ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
Lorenzo,

UK mentalist Paul Brook (a member here) published a book entitled "The Chrysalis of a Polymath," which provides methods, entertaining presentations, and complete scripts for precisely the kinds of polymath-genius-mental agility-beautiful mind-specialized savant demonstrations you are after.

Just a thought,

TT
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 10:57, ThoughtThief wrote:
Lorenzo,

UK mentalist Paul Brook (a member here) published a book entitled "The Chrysalis of a Polymath," which provides methods, entertaining presentations, and complete scripts for precisely the kinds of polymath-genius-mental agility-beautiful mind-specialized savant demonstrations you are after.

Just a thought,

TT

that's really interesting too, thanks for mentioning it.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Cracked.com has a great sense of timing:

5 so-called signs of genius that any idiot can learn
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 00:46, Scott Cram wrote:
Cracked.com has a great sense of timing:

5 so-called signs of genius that any idiot can learn

I can solve the rubik cube! that makes me reconsider my IQ a little bit... Smile
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Demitri
You might also check out Jack Kent Tillar's book Septet, which is all about super powers for mentalists. His memory pill act is really great, and has effects in it that are in line with the kinds of demonstrations you want to perform. It includes:

1 - Random letters called out by the audience and written on a large pad. Instantly, you can recite the letters one by one, and then recite it in reverse order.
2 - Audience members write down 10 digit numbers on slips of paper which are studied momentarily. Another participant takes the slips, and then chooses any one. After calling out the first 2 digits, the performer recites the other 8. This is instantly repeated with the other slips.
3 - a Card calling routine
4 - 25 objects are written down on a numbered list. The performer can immediately call all 25 objects in order, or even name any object at any number called.

That's just one part of the book, too! There's other "super powers" discussed in it. It (along with JKT's other number books) is a great read.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2164 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 17:45, aalexander wrote:

For example, I think it'd be great to use a number force like The Gift in The Logar Scrolls. There's the perfect premise of seeming to call out for random bits of information and then quickly and flawlessly tallying the total in your head (in fact you're keeping track of a much simpler number relationship). Have someone with a calculator confirm the page number, a participant flips there, and then recite all the digits on that page.

The prep would be pretty painless using 2know mnemonics software, a little longer if you aren't too familiar with the Phonetic Major System (very similar to the mnemonic system in 13 steps).

-Aaron.

Thanks for the mention, Aaron. I am very fortunate Richard Osterlind let me include "The Gift" in Logar. It truly is a gift.

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Just to say many thanks again to everybody, your suggestions and hints has been very usefull to me. I had the preview of my new show one week ago and the mentalism effects worked well! for the moment I only performed A Day of Any Date and Book Test, now I am considering to add something more. I will let you know. all the best.

Quote:
On 2013-01-10 07:59, lorenzo wrote:
What a prompt answer from so many people! let me express my gratitude to all of you for your kind help, you gave me a lot of ideas and good hints. thank you very much indeed.
corinda's 13 steps was on my list, immediately ordered and coming next days. fortunately I borrowed osterlind's 13 steps DVDs from a magician good friend of mine, do you know if there is everything explained in the book?
when I was young I made myself a day by any date system after viewing "rain man"... but I forgot about it! thanks to remind me the effect, I will study new systems.
memorizing a card deck sound interesting, even if I would like to avoid card as most as possible, just to not look like a magician. is there something else that could be easily memorized without strong memotechincs?
I knew a little bit about magic squares, I will look for an appropriate presentation of it as nicolino and mauricio suggested. by the way... nicolino, sei italiano? Smile
I will give a look to all the books about memory some of you suggested, they sound useful.
I am aware that this is my first post... but I just discovered the forum! I immediately posted a presentation of mine in the new arrivals board. No intention to lurke only. I am quite new to mentalism, as you can see, but I am available to share all my knowledges in acting and circus arts if you need, not here of course, would be OT.
all the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "genius" effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL