The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pocket Passport/Get-Sharky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Interesting findings today,

I decided to perform Get Sharky (a card trick involving a spectator's card disappearing from the deck and re-appearing in my pocket under impossible test conditions)
and Pocket Passport (a copper coin held in a spectator's hand trades places with a silver coin in the spectator's pocket) together, as a short, "pocket" themed close up act. I was performing for family friends.

Predictably, Get Sharky blew her away. She's a very intelligent person who likes to guess and theorize on how tricks were done, but she was at a loss for words. I then went into Pocket Passport, stating "now that I've done some magic with a deck of cards and MY pocket, lets do some magic using a pair of coins and YOUR pocket." That trick went over just as well. And again, no theorizing or guessing at the method from a spectator who normally is guilty of that.

After, (as I always do) I asked her for her thoughts on the performance as a whole. She said, "I like the theme of working out of pockets, I liked how you started with your pocket, and then made it more impossible by doing a trick with me holding the coin and with a coin in my pocket."

Those of you who perform both tricks, try performing both of them together as an act, as I think it comes across very strong because of the unifying theme.
That's my experiment for the day,

Evan
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
By the way, Pocket Passport is a Ken Krenzel trick. I first learned "Ace in the Pocket" by Darwin Ortiz, which is the same exact trick done with cards.
jackbp
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jackbp
Thanks for the advice evikshin - I've just bought Get Sharkey and am waiting for it to arrive, my understanding is that it's pretty versatile and can be combined with a number of tricks. Will defiantely look into Pocket Passport too!
jackbp
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jackbp
Hi evikskin, I can't find Pocket Passport - could you email me a link to somewhere I can buy it from (preferably a UK supplier)?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good combination E, sounds like you struck a little gold with this mixture of cards and coins. Makes it all a lot more interesting and it sounds like you also had a great time as well. Tell me more about Passport, and that "Get Sharkey" is just crazy. Smile I remember an amateur fooling me with it several times a few years back...Just a perfect piece of card magic, especially for a coin guy. Smile Good job, my friend. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Hey Jackbp,
Pm'ed you!
E
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Dude... I did Pocket Passport at the barbershop this morning and as the late, great Howard Cosell once famously said to a roaring crowd in the first round of the Foreman-Frazier heavyweight championship fight way back in 1973, "Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier!" Smile

Man, the barber went absolutely wild when I did this for him - An absolute knockout! Smile He begged me to teach him and just kept saying, "No WAY!" Smile

Later, as the shop got busier after I finished my cut, he asked me to at least show it to the other barber that had come in. So, I did it again with all eyes in the shop on me this time around, and they went crazy when the coins magically switched places. Smile The barber couldn't believe his eyes and just kept shouting (and I do mean "Shouting!") "And he didn't even touch me!" Smile

The first barber I showed it to was blown even further away behind it, and everyone in the shop just couldn't believe it as they followed along with the trick from beginning to end. Smile

You didn't speak a lot here on Pocket Passport but this is just a wonderful little coin effect and your Put Pocket - Pick Pocket Presentation of it kills! Great job! Smile I can clearly, behind yesterday doing this at work and then today at the barbershop, see why you love this little baby so much. I will do it all the rest of my days. Smile Thank you, thank you, thank you, what a gem! Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5863 Posts

Profile of motown
I've always liked Pocket Passport. It always gets great reactions.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
I use get sharky in almost all of my shows.
stage or strolling it works in both venues very well.
todd
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 12:23, Mb217 wrote:
Dude... I did Pocket Passport at the barbershop this morning and as the late, great Howard Cosell once famously said to a roaring crowd in the first round of the Foreman-Frazier heavyweight championship fight way back in 1973, "Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier!" Smile

Man, the barber went absolutely wild when I did this for him - An absolute knockout! Smile He begged me to teach him and just kept saying, "No WAY!" Smile

Later, as the shop got busier after I finished my cut, he asked me to at least show it to the other barber that had come in. So, I did it again with all eyes in the shop on me this time around, and they went crazy when the coins magically switched places. Smile The barber couldn't believe his eyes and just kept shouting (and I do mean "Shouting!") "And he didn't even touch me!" Smile

The first barber I showed it to was blown even further away behind it, and everyone in the shop just couldn't believe it as they followed along with the trick from beginning to end. Smile

You didn't speak a lot here on Pocket Passport but this is just a wonderful little coin effect and your Put Pocket - Pick Pocket Presentation of it kills! Great job! Smile I can clearly, behind yesterday doing this at work and then today at the barbershop, see why you love this little baby so much. I will do it all the rest of my days. Smile Thank you, thank you, thank you, what a gem! Smile

-Mb

Hi Marion I'm very happy that the presentation works for you! I know some magicians may not like my presentation because it makes the trick seem more like a demonstration of sleight of hand skill (pick pocketing)...but who cares, the feeling the spectator gets is pure magic! The reaction of the barber was priceless "you didn't even touch me!" LOL. It's totally cool that he saw you do it twice but still got fooled!

I've also done it where I did the MB transpo, followed by pocket passport, and that seems to get a nice flow

By the way I just checked my email, and thanks again! I got another nice effect to practice
E
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
You know it occurred to me that Pocket Passport might work well with the keys that you receive in Greg Wilson's Freakey. Not sure tho. I have two sets so it may take two to do it.
Have to give it a whirl.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of either of you performing Pocket Passport. I performed Ace in the Pocket for years but it never occurred to me to try out Ortiz's inspiration for his routine. Unfortunately "Ingenuities" costs a small fortune these days.

Thanks for the inspiration, gentlemen and for the pm evikshin.

Later,

D
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5863 Posts

Profile of motown
Is "Ingenuities" out of print? Ken put out some terrific books.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I think it is. Amazon has some but get out your wallet.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I can't find Ingenuities anywhere except for a couple of seriously overpriced used copies. Is Pocket Passport available in any other publication or DVD?

Thanks!

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
I would like to know more about pocket passport myself.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Me too!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5863 Posts

Profile of motown
I bought the book when it came out. Glad I did.
– Karl Germain
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Bowers, regarding pocket passport, pm me and I can point you in the right direction.
By the way, have you found any alternative presentational ideas with get sharky?
E
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
The Get Sharky part of this dynamic duo interests me also...Don't know about the big price tag on it but it does seem like a winning, easily done piece of card magic. I keep thinking about it, as I can do a few neat things with cards now. Smile If it came down half way, I'd still think maybe it was a bit too much but we'll see. Smile

I truly like what E did with these two pieces, nice little set that's easy to do, almost sleight-less and is as magical as anything that takes much more handling to pull off for really no larger amazement. Nice! Smile

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
Will do evikshin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pocket Passport/Get-Sharky (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL