The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Best pocket mental epic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Hi guy's

Can you give me advise what you think is the best pocket mental epic and where to purchase one?

Thnx! Looking foreword to hear from you!

Best regards, ronald
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The best close up version of mental epic is done with business or index card billets. The miniature Epic boards look exactly like the toy magic tricks they are and have no plausible reason for existence except to lighten the pockets of hobbyists.
Angel1998
View Profile
Regular user
Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnam
184 Posts

Profile of Angel1998
david12345
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of david12345
What Bob said
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Wow! Great minds and all that stuff. As soon as I read the title, I thought what Bob said. He must have seen the future!

I have one of those toy plastic boards from years ago. I don't think I ever used it even once in a real performance. There is TRULY no justification for it. The writing space is actually smaller than most business cards. It just doesn't make sense.

(Mine is white and looks to be better made than the one on Magic Geek. Even as a magician, I'd still never use it!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2927 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Purchase Paul Romhany's "Mental Epic Compendium". You'll find a whole section on close-up and impromptu versions of Mental Epic. My favorite, and the one I use from time to time, is Banacek's "Business Card Epic."
gbeani
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of gbeani
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 06:02, jimgerrish wrote:
Purchase Paul Romhany's "Mental Epic Compendium". You'll find a whole section on close-up and impromptu versions of Mental Epic. My favorite, and the one I use from time to time, is Banacek's "Business Card Epic."

very good suggestion... very good book for "Mental Epic" effects!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11487 Posts

Profile of John C
OK, so much for this question .... NEXT!!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
229 Posts

Profile of Darby
Osterlind's Artificial Intelligence is also a good solution (at least that's where I learned it from, but I believe the method was also documented elsewhere).
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Hi all,

Thank you for replying. I did a mental epic routine in my stage show and want to translate this to my close up work. One of the big advantage of the board was the methode. I had an chalk board and the secret was hidden at number three. A logical way starting at number one.

I don't mind purchasing books etc but I really like to know if the method is as logical an clean as with the epic board. Can someone put some mind in this Smile
Ulises Galeano
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
132 Posts

Profile of Ulises Galeano
I would highley recomend Richard Osterlinds Steno-ESP its on Disc 5 of his Mind Mysteries series.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-10 11:53, Ronald72 wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you for replying. I did a mental epic routine in my stage show and want to translate this to my close up work. One of the big advantage of the board was the methode. I had an chalk board and the secret was hidden at number three. A logical way starting at number one.

I don't mind purchasing books etc but I really like to know if the method is as logical an clean as with the epic board. Can someone put some mind in this Smile

There is nothing at all "logical" about the miniature epic boards. Unlike the stage version, which is somewhat easier to justify, the miniature boards look like they came right out of a kid's magic set.

The billet methods, on the other hand, are as about as clean and logical as you can get for close-up work. I highly recommend Romhany's Mental Epic Compendium referred to earlier by Jim Gerrish. It's an exhaustive collection of almost every major approach to the effect, both close-up and stage versions.
Andrew_Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Andrew_Jeffrey
One of the dangers of Mental Epic IMHO is that it is performed very badly in too many cases and the method is telegraphed by magicians who miss many of the nuances that really sell it.

I used to have the big blackboard version which I admit was fun - it helped to disguise the method but these days I prefer to just use a clipboard and sheets of A4 on stage. I like the idea of business cards for close-up too; I confess I've rarely used this particular effect in that setting, except once with a s****e. That was fun and even a couple of magicians were puzzled - "wow, we thought you were going to be using o** a****" !
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 10:50, Darby wrote:
Osterlind's Artificial Intelligence is also a good solution (at least that's where I learned it from, but I believe the method was also documented elsewhere).

Before he died, Ken Krenzel and I were discussing this. We had both come up with similar ideas (although neither one was published) and agreed that we would both put our own in print.

Certainly the idea was used in playing card effects, but I am not aware of the idea being published before. Of course, with so much in the literature, I may be wrong.

Richard
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1336 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've used a modified version of the routine in the Mark Wilson course. For business cards,there are routines in the Fogel book and Bill Severn's mental magic book.

Barry
eb02
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of eb02
The best is the mini mental epic by Koontz but at the moment it is out of stock.
Many Café member have both it from me and I am pushing Koontz to re manufacture them.
I hope I can come with good news regarding this soon.

Click here to view attached image.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2358 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I would certainly be interested in the Koontz version.
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Peter Nardi and Marc Spelmann have a great take on a close up mental epic routine on the unexpected DVD set. The effect is called three for the money. It's something worth looking at. It's based on traditional techniques, but a solid effect. Some study on traditional billet work will open up even more possibilities into bringing mental epic to a close up environment.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5100 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I will humbly recommend my "3 Moments in Time" from my book Mysteries Anywhere 2.

Just 3 business cards, each one signed. This piece has served me well for several years and I know that several others around the globe are using this demonstration.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-12 06:33, dave wrote:
I would certainly be interested in the Koontz version.

Maybe it's just me, but based on the photo, it looks like a magic prop and resembles nothing that anyone has ever seen before. I can't imagine performing that and not having someone ask, "Where did you buy that trick? Can I examine that thing?"

Of course, if you are presenting yourself as a demonstrator of magic tricks my comment doesn't apply.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Best pocket mental epic (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL