The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Best pocket mental epic (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
I find myself agreeing with some of both points. I don't use mental epic boards, because they just don't feel right, for me. However, I've seen plenty of performers use them to great effect, and I don't recall overhearing it being discussed as a magic trick. If you can make it fit, then you can make it work.

However, I find a huge difference between a stage mental epic board, and that wallet sized one, mentioned earlier. At a stage show, it can make sense to have some kind of apparatus, and the nature of the venue makes even an unusual object look normal. However, I don't think this line of thinking translates to the smaller, pocket version. I that sense, yes, I think most people would immediately think magic trick or toy.

I'm aware of the fact that even billet work can be viewed as a magic trick (no matter what you think there will ALWAYS be people who dismiss what we do as tricks). However, as long as my audience is entertained, that's all that matters. I don't sell myself as a magician, but if someone says that's all I am, but still walks away satisfied, mystified, and entertained - I don't care what they call it. I don't try to be a magician, I'm don't yearn to be called a mind reader... All I aim to be, is an entertainer.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Jerry Dunn wrote to me privately and pointed out the principle which I used in Artificial Intelligence, and for which Ken Krenzel had his own handling, was actually used by Peter Warlock in an effect called "The Patient Telegraph" in Lewis Ganson's book "Magic of the Mind". He used small slates but the handling was almost the same.

I have this book, but had completely forgotten of this effect.

So thank you Jerry for keeping me honest!

Richard
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 18:28, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I can't keep a straight face reading this. sorry.

Bob's point, to move away from the appearence of being a magic trick use everyday items.
A mind reader should be able to read minds without anything special.

When you bring out things that have no place in the normal world, and use them, it may just be coming across as a magic trick.
This is fine if that's how you wish to present yourself.

If you don't think you are coming across as a magician, you may just be fooling yourself.

It is hard, but you should look at what you do objectively and question everything.

If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, most people think it's a duck. They are not going to believe It is a penguin.

We are all masters of self-deception.

My thoughts,

Tony

Thank you, Tony Smile. You saved my time to write down my thoughts and convictions. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

I really have to jump over to David's side of the fence here.

I totally agree that mentalism props should not have little bunnies and magic hats on them. But neither should magic props!

The world is filled with specialized objects. Lisa is a scrapbooker and she has stuff that is totally different looking. You wanna talk about stuff a plumber has? Artist tools? People who crochet? Taxidermy!

For almost every craft or trade there are specialized tools that aren't part of the "normal world." If you get paid money to come to a show and do something, people expect you to have equipment to do your job with. That does not mean you are any less talented than a guy to uses a guitar to make music.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Richard,

I agree with you 100%, there are specialized items for every field.
If testing ESP or doing something along those lines, specialized items might be used, cards, dice...
But is something "specialized" needed to write three items upon?
Perhaps on stage or in a parlor setting so everyone can see, but up close and intimate?

To me, and others here as well, it comes across as out of place, especially if it is only used for this work and other things, slips of paper, cards, notepad... are used to write upon for other "effects".
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Tony,

I think a lot has to do with the prop itself. I have seen some small props that do look like toys. I avoid these. (Unless, of course, you use that in your presentation. "My granddaughter got this little clock in a game.")

And I always try to go with "the simpler - the better."

But just like with most things in mentalism, your presentation can really get you by a lot of this. When we were doing Annemann's Practical Mental Effects, there were some items there that I would not normally ever do. Such as using cards to pick a page in a book. It was great training for me to make this play. It taught me how much you can justify if you have the right attitude.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 10:15, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
If testing ESP or doing something along those lines, specialized items might be used, cards, dice...

Exactly! While you could spend some time boring everyone by creating your own impromptu ESP cards (by drawing on business cards with a Sharpie), someone who reads minds would be expected to have done so at least beforehand. Preferably, if they are serious, they'd obtain some hard-wearing, professionally-printed ESP test cards. Or they should have bought the ESP dice or whatever.

And as Richard said, I think there's a difference between having a few bits of equipment in your pocket and a stash of crazy-looking gear, though.

T.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I may acutally dig out one of mine from the magic drawer, it could be a fun piece.
-------

“This next thing is so impossible seeming, people think there must be some way I can cheat. So to eliminate any possibility of that, I had this little writing board constructed. It has 6 little areas in which to write. I also have these 3 covers which perfectly fit over the spaces, preventing anyone, or anything from disturbing what may be written there.”

“You sir, I want you to think of a color, don’t make it one with too long of a name, I have to use this crayon and write in this little 1 inch square…”

“So you have a color, great, I want you to visualize a car, a Cadillac that color, and in your mind, I want you to drive that car towards me.”

“Don’t run me over!”

Scribble, scribble, scribble.
“Thank you.” Snap (on goes the cover).

“See, all secure, it’s also protected from me accidently smudging or erasing it. That would be embarrassing.”

“Sir, what was the color?”
“Aquamarine.” “You b*****d!”
“An Aquamarine Cadillac, interesting. I won’t say what that means about you out loud, But I’ll bet you have a fur coat and shoes with fishbowls in then, in the closet at home.”

Scribble, scribble, scribble; scribble, scribble, scribble.

“You Ma’am, can you think of fruit. Remember, 1 inch square, crayon... Now visualize a pie made of that fruit…”
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 10:38, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Tony,

I think a lot has to do with the prop itself. I have seen some small props that do look like toys. I avoid these. (Unless, of course, you use that in your presentation. "My granddaughter got this little clock in a game.")

And I always try to go with "the simpler - the better."

But just like with most things in mentalism, your presentation can really get you by a lot of this. When we were doing Annemann's Practical Mental Effects, there were some items there that I would not normally ever do. Such as using cards to pick a page in a book. It was great training for me to make this play. It taught me how much you can justify if you have the right attitude.

Richard, I guess there is a reason why you - so far I know - produced slates only for stand up and stage. There it is reasonable, and in your case anyhow the way you integrate the slate. But close-up? This is one reason why your "Artificial Intelligence" is so wonderful. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Smile

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
And Goliath. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-17 12:46, JanForster wrote:
And Goliath. Smile Jan

Lol. That was funny.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Hi Jan, Good to see you hear! I enjoyed our time together at MindVention a couple of years ago.

About slates. On the latest PME I actually do a routine with small slates for close-up. But that is a spirit writing effect, of course.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
If I may, it seems as though our discussion is about two types of props: one that we have to justify using, and one that justifies itself without explanation. To me, Richard's Classic Epic board fits the second category; he's on stage, and needs something large that can be seen by alarger group.

If I were doing a Mental Epic type effect for a smaller group, I don't think a small ME board justifies itself. I might go with a technique like that in "Change of Mind" or StenoESP. I think that in either of those, the pad is innocuous and justifies itself.

Thoughts?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Your thoughts are my thoughts Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
There are a lot of options, I think. And much of it really comes down to the performer, what the performer is about, and the way he wants to be percieved. I like doing ME for small groups. But I also do 4DT and AI.

My point? It really depends on the situation and the audience: in the same way I'll perform MOABT for one group and situation but select AREA or even Luna 1935 in different circumstances.

Some things just work better for me at certain times and certain circumstances.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
While it is a tad heavy, the Joe Porper "All Seeing Eye" prop for doing the mental epic is mechanically splendid, and would fit in many outside sport coat pockets. I have carried it in my coat pocket with no problem. Without it's wooden container, it fits easily.

George Hunter, "Mentalist Subordinaire"
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I always loved the deceptive properties of "Change of Mind". However, once Richard released "Artificial Intelligence", I made the switch and have never looked back. I use it with business cards (about as 'organic' as one can get), and it floors people. I don't, however, utilize playing cards with the final phase.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
... so then, what IS the best pocket mental epic?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
John:

One would have to possess and field test all of them to be sure but, from the several I know, All Seeing Eye is my nomination.

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Best pocket mental epic (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL