The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » That stinkin' little felt bag from "The Magic Coin Box" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Funny (I hope) story...

I am NOT a 'do-it-yourselfer'. Every once in awhile I will whip something up, but working with my hands/repairing, etc... is definitely not my strong suit.

Found an old, old "Magic Coin Box" on the big auction site. Always loved the trick, and wanted to get one - especially without the dumb rabbit on the biggest box - that had that little red felt bag. So the one I won arrives...the little bag is white...well, no big deal. I pick it up. Feels kind of plasticky and frail on the outside. I put the gimmick into the back...can't do it very well...the inside of the bag looks to be a bunch of cotton. It appears that there is nothing on the inside faces of the bag that keeps things 'together'. Just a bunch of cotton that the gimmick gets hung up on. Crap! The little bag is a turd!

So I say to myself - in my best Lionel Barrymore voice - "By Jingo, I'm just gonna make one of them bags mySELF!

Today after work I went to JoAnne's and bought a square of felt for .37 cents (including tax). Went home and cut a piece of the right height, folded it over the gimmick and used a needle and thread to sew the side and botton. Dang thing looks great, works perfect, and took me all of 15 minutes to sew.

Score! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Good going.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Identify problem > solve problem > be happy!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I *am* happy! Smile

Though sometimes it takes a little anger to get to the action!

Identify problem > Get PO'd enough > solve problem > be happy!

:P
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Chessmann, I agree with you. This is a fun, and powerful little effect. One of those "slum" magic effects overlooked by many due to it's cheap appearance, but it can pack a wallop.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
958 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Cool effect, great job!!!
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I cheated, went to my local jewelry store, they gave me several little ring bags that has a tie string at the top. They work great !!!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2989 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Welcome to the realm of "Do It Yourself Magic." You have just joined the ranks of magic greats like Karl Germain, Jack Gwynne, The whole Bamberg dynasty, and oh so many more old time magicians (including Spellbinder, but not myself, young person that I am) who sat in their kitchens or workshops and tinkered and sewed and brought about new magic from old. Congratulations!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I feel rarified! Thanks, everyone. Smile (have to check out those ring bags, too!)

Actually, I have done a few things, but nothing bigger than this - nothing I would truly call DIY, but they're all little victories that continue to keep me thinking, "why not?"

I think it would be great fun to make my own small Square Circle.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Those ring bags work great for holding several large coins as well, like silver dollars.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 19:04, Chessmann wrote:
I feel rarified! Thanks, everyone. Smile (have to check out those ring bags, too!)

Actually, I have done a few things, but nothing bigger than this - nothing I would truly call DIY, but they're all little victories that continue to keep me thinking, "why not?"

I think it would be great fun to make my own small Square Circle.

I had one of those when I was a kid. The bag was held shut with rubber bands.
With a little enginenooity you can make almost anything. I'm working on a floating girl illusion but haven't been able to find a forklift with a quiet motor. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » That stinkin' little felt bag from "The Magic Coin Box" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL