The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Pole Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
For those who have one how is the reaction with the audience? What is the weight limit on it? Your thoughts?
Some magi like it some don't I have always liked it.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-11 21:57, wanmagic wrote:
For those who have one how is the reaction with the audience? What is the weight limit on it? Your thoughts?
Some magi like it some don't I have always liked it.

Don't listen to what other magicians think, listen to your audience...
A real Pole Levitation (build by Gaughan or EDF) is a great illusion!
Of course you will need to find a good presentation for it.

Doug Henning (who was the first to present this), David Copperfield, Siegfried & Roy, Mark Kalin & Jinger, Phillipart & Anja all have had great succes with this illusion!

The weight limit can best be discussed with the builder as I am sure they can modify it for your needs.
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
It's received a fantastic reaction in my show. Ease of operation/comfortable for assistant/impressive height--all big pluses! Not sure why some wouldn't like it--is it because you can't take the final pole away?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-01-12 09:35, tristanmagic wrote:
Doug Henning (who was the first to present this), ...

Really? May I suggest do some research before making such statements.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-12 16:11, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-12 09:35, tristanmagic wrote:
Doug Henning (who was the first to present this), ...

Really? May I suggest do some research before making such statements.

So who was first then? Love to know more...
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
As far as I know Doug Henning presented Steinmeyer's version of this illusion. It was added to Doug's final tour around 1985-86.

The weight limit was around 175 pounds as I recall. I believe it was beefed up for Copperfield's use, most of the time you'll see a girl on there. There is also a difference in speed at which a person will "rise." The lighter the subject the faster they will go up!

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think what William might be referring to is that the Hindu fakirs did a pole levitation years before. I do believe Henning was the first to do Steinmeyer more practical version.

One limitation is the height of the illusion. You need to have a high enough ceiling to present this in. Some high school stages might not work. I remember a photo I saw of Luis De Matos doing at Mike Caveney's house where his head vanished in to the suspended ceiling upon full lift.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I read years ago Andre Cole invented this illusion.

Was Steinmeyer even born yet? Smile

Am I wrong again? Apologies if I am.
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Jim Steinmeyer's site says its one of his creations, at least the one we are seeing performed today.
Now there is at least a ten year gap between Jim and Andre but I don't think ten years would mean its not possable that its Jim's. But like all illusions there is always a possable variation in effects invented and leaves us second guessing who was the original inventor. SHRUG....so who knows!

Rick Anderson
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Steve is dead-on correct. Andrea Kole's levitation is a seated and cross-legged one, but there is no pole involved. (He levitates within a lighted ring which is them moved upstage and away from him. The Pole Levitation was indeed invented by Jim Steinmeyer, and was in fact first performed by Doug Henning. I remember clearly the tour it was introduced, and sitting with Willie Kennedy backstage before the show and him telling us to look for it in the show. That and Origami were the big additions to that final tour.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 12:19, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I read years ago Andre Cole invented this illusion.

Was Steinmeyer even born yet? Smile

Am I wrong again? Apologies if I am.

Yes, you where wrong... again! ;-)
You see, I did my research before posting my statement - lol
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 09:09, hugmagic wrote:

One limitation is the height of the illusion. You need to have a high enough ceiling to present this in. Some high school stages might not work. I remember a photo I saw of Luis De Matos doing at Mike Caveney's house where his head vanished in to the suspended ceiling upon full lift.

Richard

This picture was taken in Luis (old) office/ rehearsal studio in Portugal not in Caveney's house.

It will work in most places. The pole is one of the more practical levitations out there.
It packs small in two cases, plays big and can be performer surrounded.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Man!!!! I got real excited when I saw this topic!!! Then I opened it up and realized you were just talking about an illusion. Smile

Though it was funny to see the great hegblini stick his foot in his mouth. Going up against Tristan when discussing magic is like going up against a Sicilian when DEATH IS ON THE LINE!!!!!
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
INCONCEIVABLE!!!!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Andre Kole's levitation is a whole different thing ... I could see the confusion if you weren't an expert in the field. Stienmeyer's Pole Levitaion is a very different illusion, Andre's is more old-school .. with a twist!

Steve
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I was an associate of Andre' Kole for 9 years from 1987-1996. I was also on stage at times to assist with his levitation. My biased opinion is that it is the best levi out there! It even blew me away when I was one of the assistants standing right next to him, moving the ring of lights away from him.

I never liked the pole illusion that much, as I always felt the remaining pole left something to be desired.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Yes, it was very cool ... but you have to have just the right conditions to make the "magic" happen. Jim's version could be done just about anywhere ... even surrounded, now that's magic!

Steve
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Yes, Steve. You are right about about that.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
My two cents on pole levitation:

I don't own one, it's not one of my favourite illusions but I wouldn't mind receiving one as a gift Smile

But I have to admit that my opinion about it has been very different than it is now. When I was about 10 years old I clearly remember watching D Copperfield performance on TV. At that time I knew nothing about illusions but I remember I was not impressed because I immediately figured a method to accomplish the illusion. Some years later I discovered that my child idea was not so wrong.

I also remember some years later, when I already had some magical knowledge, being astonished the first time I watched Charlotte Pendragon pulling herself straight forward the poles (the second time I saw it, was not so magical, but the first impression was awesome)

So as I had my first impression being lay people, I'm conscious it's a very practical illusion but the fixed pole always contacting with person's arm is a very important issue that could make many people infer the method.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
I've been using the Pole Levitation for about a decade now I totally understand the concerns that some people are suggesting. But I also have to say that in my experience it plays very well. It's not the impact per se of the Ashra Levitation or perhaps the water levitation but it has some strengths that dwarf the other ones.

You can literally stand next to it and not see the method. You can see thru the wire grill of the table and there is literally nowhere to hide anything. It's also good in almost any theatrical setting and any lighting.

Having performed it for hundreds of thousands of people in the last decade I have never had a single person who came up and knew how it was done. Not to say that no one ever figured it out but I've found that if something is fairly obvious enough people will discern a method that at least a few will talk to you and brag that they figured it out.

The big drawback with the Pole Levitation is that it doesn't really have an ending. In my case we combined it with an instantaneous vanish of Teresa that is quite powerful.

I would highly recommend the piece. It's a strong one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Pole Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL