The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » My Workshop Project Blog (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
It has been really cool seeing many of you guys giving the rest of us Café members a glimpse into your workshops. I figured I would do the same. I started a post on my blog regarding the construction of my little garage/workshop as I gradually put it together. Its definitely a work in progress!

I would love to hear tips or resources you have found useful for tool storage, dust control, and handy features you in your own workshops!

Enjoy~ http://bryangillescomedymagic.wordpress.com/

~Bryan Gilles
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Very nice workshop Bryan.

Stu
Stuart Foreman
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I see no dust collection system and NO SAW DUST!! C'mon Bryan... get busy!! He-he-he! Smile

Just kidding... the shop looks GREAT and is lightyears beyond mine!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Haha... Michael...My wife has a rare case of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) called CDO... You know- the letters are aphabetized the way they are suppose to be! She stores a lot of her teaching supplies out there so she is constantly on me about the saw dust so I always do a pretty good job of sweeping after each project. I'm actually planning to install the pipe into the workbench so all I have to do is hook up my shop vac at one end and minimize my sweeping time at the end of the day.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ha-ha!! My dust collection system is me with a broom, although I do have a bag attached under my table saw, and a shop vac connected to the belt sander (the worst offender). Fun day for me is when I have to use the lathe or the thickness planer. I have to try and stay on top of it because the steps that lead to my basement are in the same area, although I have plastic surrounding most of that to keep much of it from following gravity's lead.

Except for those big piles of shavings and sawdust, I tend to put it off, so I can keep on the never ending chain of projects, but do take a couple days a few times a year to do a complete cleaning.

I saw a furniture maker's shop near Pensacola once and the shavings in his indoor/outdoor barn-type shop had to be 8-10 inches deep everywhere. That was beyond excessive, but pretty comfortable to walk on.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
It says that it is password protected?

Trey
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-04-20 00:48, trey wrote:
It says that it is password protected?

Trey

Yep, I can't see it either. Wanna give us the password? Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Just scroll down the page...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 08:39, ClintonMagus wrote:
Just scroll down the page...

LOL! Nice call. thx bud

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
To peek at any of the illusion projects, feel free to PM me. (I password protected it to keep the lay public from seeing many of the workings Smile )
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm with Michael. That is a great shop, something to be proud of and way cooler than mine. This is off subject but I just wanted to add that some friends of mine saw your show at The Castle a couple of weeks ago and said it was great!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Bryan,

Nice shop and much cleaner than mine will ever be. I sweep up about every 6 months and saw dust is at the 4" level right now. I decided to put in dust collection a few years ago. Started with a decent size dust collector on a base with wheels. Bought tons of pipe so I could have several work areas covered. When everything was hooked up there was just not enough suction to be effective. Tried to add gates so I could close off sections but that failed too. The only way this worked was to hook the unit direct to the tool in use. This became a hassle hooking, unhooking and rolling the unit over cords and sawdust every time I switched tools. For now I have given up on a complete set up and just hook it up to capture fine sanding dust I don't want to breath. I plan to build a new shop in the future and hope to build the whole shop around dust collection. I think its a go big or go home kind of deal.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-08-09 12:06, gimpy2 wrote:
Bryan,

Nice shop and much cleaner than mine will ever be. I sweep up about every 6 months and saw dust is at the 4" level right now.

I do mine about the same but with some quick reorganizing sometimes when I switch projects. Saw dust on the floor actually is comfortable to stand on... beats concrete floors. Saw dust in the same room where I paint is not so good.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2013-08-09 19:43, Michael Baker wrote:

I do mine about the same but with some quick reorganizing sometimes when I switch projects. Saw dust on the floor actually is comfortable to stand on... beats concrete floors. Saw dust in the same room where I paint is not so good.

I was just about to ask about that. You can't get the great results you get with sawdust floating around.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I try not to cut wood and paint on the same day.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I took over a large room in the house to paint and do finish work. Started off just for paint but found that I could do all my assembly in there too. I even added a big downdraft table so the final sanding could be done inside. Its nice to have a place where I don't need to battle the hot or cold weather.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » My Workshop Project Blog (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL