The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Does this sort of glue exist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Is there a quick acting 'super glue' type that will work like copydex does (i.e. remain sticky and not dry out until brought into contact with another surface)? I presume that there isn't but thought it worth asking. The miracles that could be performed if there is.....
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
How quickly do you need that to happen? I can think of a couple of things that might do it, but it's kind of dependent on the final use.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Looking for a way to setup a ring on wine glass stem that can be done without assistance. If it's possible to use a strong bonding glue that doesn't dry until contact is made, I can make a frame that keeps both parts of the glass separated until the critical moment of loading the ring between them. Hope that makes sense.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PapaG
... And obviously there could be many other applications.
StealthySandwich
View Profile
New user
Everett, Washington
9 Posts

Profile of StealthySandwich
Use a two part epoxy. On their own, neither part is sticky at all rather it just looks like a paste. When combined however, they can create any strength bond you desire. Also, depending on the type used, you can add a third chemical that will simply melt the bonded epoxy when desired.

The various types have speeds commonly referred to as hot or cold mixes (the chemical reaction during bonding actually creates heat). A hot epoxy mix will bond fast, and a cold mix will bond slowly. If you spread just a thin amount of a fast bonding epoxy on one piece and the activator on the other, you can get a nearly instant bond.

Since neither part is capable of bonding/hardening on their own, you can leave the epoxy out for quite some time before it will naturally air dry.

Hope this helps.
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
I agree, what about epoxy resin? Used in fiberglass. Apply the paste part to one item, and the hardener to the other part. Depending on the amount of hardener will determine how quickly your adhesion will be.

Stu
Stuart Foreman
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Would either of these do the job?

http://www.first4magnets.com/araldite--l......58-c.asp

Thanks very much for the help.
StealthySandwich
View Profile
New user
Everett, Washington
9 Posts

Profile of StealthySandwich
I'd try this one if you can get it where you are. It has a very fast set time and comes in 2 separate tubes so you can control the mix ratio.

http://www.supergluecorp.com/super-glue/......ng-epoxy

The ones you posted may work as well. I'd go with the Aroldite as it already comes in the two separate containers. Mix it with more of the activator than the bonding agent to make it bond faster. It may still take a few seconds to a minute to fully hold. Also, make sure these are able to be cleaned up. Usually gasoline, acetone or various other solvents will allow you to undo the process, but some epoxy variants may be resistant to it.

I'd strongly suggest you experiment with a few and see what results you get. Hardware stores and auto-part stores usually have a wide range of types available and you can read the back as well. Neither of the one you posted have a timetable listed. Most epoxy brands have five minutes listed, but remember that is for a full bond. They can set up much faster if you don't need to put a ton of force on them to start with.

Lastly, always make sure to check out the MSD sheet for the specific bonding agent you choose. For instance, the one I suggested is fast, but a little volatile around flames and corrosive agents. Just be careful.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
There is a glue that is sold to reattach rear view mirrors that might do exactly what you are looking for. It's a tube and a bottle -- you put the tube glue on one side, and paint the bottle glue on the other, and when they touch, the bond is formed in a couple of seconds. I haven't run across an epoxy that would work that quickly, but if there is the chance to try a gel super glue - if you can find a way to introduce it in a timely fashion, and use an accelerator on the other half (like Zap!) you might be able to accomplish what you want. You are asking a lot of almost any adhesive made, there, though. The one handed/one person thing is the bete noir in this case.

Good luck. I'll see if I can find a link or a brand for the rear view mirror thing. I can't recall if it's clear or not though, but a tinted wine glass would probably work out and look ok regardless.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Thanks for the advice. A link/brand name would be much appreciated.

I'll try out some of the super glue suggested.

I was in a model shop today asking about possible solutions. The shop manager was arguing that epoxy is likely to dry out if left for any significant period of time without contact being made between the two surfaces. He suggested a product called 'Weldbond'. Anyone have any experience with this? Looking online it doesn't appear to be a super fast set but I may be wrong.

I really appreciate all the help and apologies if the solution has already been offered. I'm exhausting all possibilities before I take hammer to wine stem....
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Edit: It looks like the staff in the model shop didn't take in that I need it to be an ultra quick setting glue. From what I'm reading online, Weldbond takes an hour or so. Nonetheless, the bloke in the shop was convinced this was the stuff for the job.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Wood workers use a CA glue with an accelertor to control speed of setting up.

I have done things in the past were you spray the accelertor on to one object,
with a drop of the CA glue on the other, when you touch them they bond.

you then need solvent to remove.

here are the products I used in the past

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Categor......e%20City
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Does this sort of glue exist? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL