The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Am I missing something? James Swain's 'The Miracle Deck' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
On page 53 of James Swain's book 21st Century Card Magic, he decribed 'his' Miracle Deck. To me,it is just the Sx Sxxxxxxx stack. I cannot understand why he is so excited in the book and decribed several effects which are fairly standard.

Am I missing something!?

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Have you actually tried it in front of an audience? If not, then yes, you are certainly missing the bulk of the information you need to evaluate the quality of the effect.
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
It sounds like Alex is moreso taking exception with the item's shallow lineage than its impact.

Justin
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
That may be, but if, as I assume, the goal of performing magic is to entertain spectators, rather than some sort of card-based onanism, then the impact would seem to be the germane question. The principle is ancient and venerable, hardly a shallow lineage, and, if I may tighten your observation, his umbrage seems to be with the simplicity of the modus, rather than the commonness of its origin. Though perhaps I'm missing something.
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
195 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
I think it's more just about how the section prior to the routines is written. Swain goes through a story about shiners and mem decks and kind of makes it seem like he came up with a solution to his searching and then goes into SS stack effects. I think the OP was a little confused because it seemed like he was going to reveal his own type of deck and so thought that maybe there was a detail that he was overlooking that separated it from a SS stack. The way that section was written -- I can see how he may have thought he was missing something.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
There is one aspect not mentioned here. That is the point that Darwin Ortiz's Si Stebbin secret is a part of the "Miracle Deck".
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 22:04, Bandaloop wrote:
I think it's more just about how the section prior to the routines is written. Swain goes through a story about shiners and mem decks and kind of makes it seem like he came up with a solution to his searching and then goes into SS stack effects. I think the OP was a little confused because it seemed like he was going to reveal his own type of deck and so thought that maybe there was a detail that he was overlooking that separated it from a SS stack. The way that section was written -- I can see how he may have thought he was missing something.

This is exactly what my question is. If anyone REALLY HAVE READ the book before commenting on my question, one would understand the legitimacy of my question.

James Swain have gone into details of all the stories about shiners, glim, and mem stack etc, then he said '... I finally hit upon The Miracle Deck. If I could market this to magicians I certainly would, for it opens up A WHOLE NEW WORLD of possibilites with a deck of cards.' Then he explains that the MIRACLE DECK depends ENTIRELY on Si Stebbins deck. It is natural for readers to expect some origin elements or 'new' principle. Alas there is none but Si Stebbins deck.

Quote:
On 2013-01-15 18:58, JohnWells wrote:
Have you actually tried it in front of an audience? If not, then yes, you are certainly missing the bulk of the information you need to evaluate the quality of the effect.

I didn't question about the impact of the effects. My question to you is, what is the difference betweeen Si Stebbins and The Miracle Deck, which James Swain is so excited about its discovery and its WHOLE NEW WORLD of magic?

If this kind of description, even in the book, is allowed. I think I would add a trick in my future book with description below:

'I have created the Amazing And Impossible Card Discovery System. This allows the performer to know the position of any card in the deck and open a new world of thousands of new tricks. I would market this system as hundreds of tricks. The secret? Use your own Memorized Deck.'

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I felt the same as Alex. If you read the questioned part of the book, many of you will feel the same.
I also felt excuting riffle pass each time after spectator selet a card is questionable.

Hideo Kato
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I second that. I also felt underwhelmed with the 'Miracle Deck'.
Justin W.
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas
237 Posts

Profile of Justin W.
Quote:
That may be, but if, as I assume, the goal of performing magic is to entertain spectators, rather than some sort of card-based onanism, then the impact would seem to be the germane question.

I see no onanism in Alex's question. Furthermore, no, the impact of the trick would not be germane if Alex is asking about Swain's claims of originality.

Justin
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 22:04, rnaviaux wrote:
There is one aspect not mentioned here. That is the point that Darwin Ortiz's Si Stebbins secret is a part of the "Miracle Deck".

This is a very important point. It may account for Jim Swain’s enthusiasm about the so-called “Miracle Deck.”

How many of you know Darwin Ortiz’s Si Stebbins secret? (I see a few hands going up.) How many of you have actually executed it in front of a real audience? (Many of the hands go down. A few hands are still up. Steven Youell is waving his hand and bouncing up and down.) If you don’t know it, you might want to find it. It’s in print and on Darwin’s DVDs.

Imagine the following scenario:

One day, you’re at a friend’s house, and he asks you to do a magic trick for the assembled masses. You take out a deck, and do a few cool tricks. Everyone is amazed and happy. (I’ve done this many times.)

Now, imagine an alternate scenario:

One day, you’re at a friend’s house, and he asks you to do a magic trick for the assembled masses. You ask him if he has a deck. He has a deck, but it’s old and has brown edges. You politely decline to perform. “I could use my own deck, but you’d probably think I was using some kind of trick deck.” No one is offended, but your friend decides that next time he is going to be prepared for your visit.

The next time that you are at a party at the same friend’s house, he again asks you to do some magic for the crowd. But this time, he has purchased a brand new Bicycle deck, still in its wrapper. You smile, uncase the brand new deck and shuffle it very thoroughly. (Here’s where Darwin’s idea comes into play. It only requires a few hundred hours of rehearsal. It’s worth it.)

You then proceed to do Gene Anderson’s wonderful routine with the Si Stebbins stack. If the crowd insists, you can continue a bit longer by doing Juan Tamariz’s Neither Blind Nor Stupid, followed by your favorite handling of Out of This World. This time, you’ve rocked everyone back on their heels. They’ve never seen anything like this. You end by giving the deck back to your host. You are well on your way to becoming a magician who is remembered in fable and song.

Reader’s Digest Condensed Version of Scenario Two:

1. Darwin Ortiz is a genius.
2. Harry Lorayne has been right all along; the magic is amplified if you use their deck of cards.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Great Post Barry!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I believe we are not talking about a wonderful use of Si Stebbins system.

Hideo Kato
Maximilien
View Profile
New user
Paris (France)
41 Posts

Profile of Maximilien
[quote]On 2013-01-16 14:38, BarryFernelius wrote:
[quote]On 2013-01-15 22:04, rnaviaux wrote:
It’s in print and on Darwin’s DVDs

I might be wrong, but I don't think the SS Secret has been explained by D. Ortiz on DVD.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 14:38, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 22:04, rnaviaux wrote:
There is one aspect not mentioned here. That is the point that Darwin Ortiz's Si Stebbins secret is a part of the "Miracle Deck".

This is a very important point. It may account for Jim Swain’s enthusiasm about the so-called “Miracle Deck.”

How many of you know Darwin Ortiz’s Si Stebbins secret? (I see a few hands going up.) How many of you have actually executed it in front of a real audience? (Many of the hands go down. A few hands are still up. Steven Youell is waving his hand and bouncing up and down.) If you don’t know it, you might want to find it. It’s in print and on Darwin’s DVDs.

Imagine the following scenario:

One day, you’re at a friend’s house, and he asks you to do a magic trick for the assembled masses. You take out a deck, and do a few cool tricks. Everyone is amazed and happy. (I’ve done this many times.)

Now, imagine an alternate scenario:

One day, you’re at a friend’s house, and he asks you to do a magic trick for the assembled masses. You ask him if he has a deck. He has a deck, but it’s old and has brown edges. You politely decline to perform. “I could use my own deck, but you’d probably think I was using some kind of trick deck.” No one is offended, but your friend decides that next time he is going to be prepared for your visit.

The next time that you are at a party at the same friend’s house, he again asks you to do some magic for the crowd. But this time, he has purchased a brand new Bicycle deck, still in its wrapper. You smile, uncase the brand new deck and shuffle it very thoroughly. (Here’s where Darwin’s idea comes into play. It only requires a few hundred hours of rehearsal. It’s worth it.)

You then proceed to do Gene Anderson’s wonderful routine with the Si Stebbins stack. If the crowd insists, you can continue a bit longer by doing Juan Tamariz’s Neither Blind Nor Stupid, followed by your favorite handling of Out of This World. This time, you’ve rocked everyone back on their heels. They’ve never seen anything like this. You end by giving the deck back to your host. You are well on your way to becoming a magician who is remembered in fable and song.

Reader’s Digest Condensed Version of Scenario Two:

1. Darwin Ortiz is a genius.
2. Harry Lorayne has been right all along; the magic is amplified if you use their deck of cards.

whats that have to do with an author being excited about something a million years old, as if he discovered a miracle?

Billy
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-16 18:40, Maximilien wrote:
I might be wrong, but I don't think the SS Secret has been explained by D. Ortiz on DVD.

See Darwin's At the Card Table DVD, Volume 2.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-16 18:54, Billy-one wrote:
whats that have to do with an author being excited about something a million years old, as if he discovered a miracle?

Billy

The idea behind the Si Stebbins stack has been in print for over 400 years. Magicians have a way of re-discovering it every generation or two. Smile

I think that the 'miracle' aspect comes from Darwin's wonderful procedure. You open a new deck of cards, and shuffle it thoroughly. The disconnect between the outward appearance and the inner reality is a thing of beauty. The hardest part of the whole procedure is keeping yourself from laughing out loud.

-Leonard Bernstein
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Aw,

Ok Barry, Im onboard now..lol, Im a bit slow on the take.

Billy
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Even if Ortiz' method of arranging SS stack from a normal deck is wonderful and/or Swain's use of SS stack is wonderful, one should not change the name of the already famous deck, i.e. 'Si Stebbins Stack' to 'Miracle Deck'. I believe it is the topic of this thread.

Hideo Kato
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 20:57, Hideo Kato wrote:
Even if Ortiz' method of arranging SS stack from a normal deck is wonderful and/or Swain's use of SS stack is wonderful, one should not change the name of the already famous deck, i.e. 'Si Stebbins Stack' to 'Miracle Deck'. I believe it is the topic of this thread.

Hideo Kato

Spot on. The writting in the book leads the readers to think there is something ground-breaking and new about the Miracle Deck. But everyhing follows the description is not original or even not have new input from the author. It is just a normal Si Stebbins Stack. The author has raved about the deck, which depends on Darwin Ortiz method, but not even go into explain how it is done.

The point is: The author is explaining something which is century-old but wrote as if he discovered it and have a new name for it. And this is obviously not a mistake or lack of knowledge.

I love James Swain's work but this part of the book annoys me so much everytime I came across it.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Am I missing something? James Swain's 'The Miracle Deck' (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL