The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups or Chop cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I am no way involved with this business but wanted to praise their workmanship and price. I ordered a set of balls, four none chopped, in their oriental ball series and they just arrived. Wonderful, great feel, great weight -- and at $12 a reasonable deal. My advice is that because they are heavier than crocheted cork balls they will talk and so you would want a heavy cup or light hand.

Just thought I offer my praise.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
About whom?
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
HOW STUPID OF ME TO NEGLECT THEM!
I bought them from that website Uniquemagicballs.com. This was my exchange...
Below are the price for the Oriental Metallic Spiral Ball (acrylic core) – Silvery Purple or Dark Blue according to size:
1. 5/8” and 3/4” in set of 4: USD12
2. 5/8” and 3/4” in set of 4 (2 gaffed and 2 working balls) : USD20

When I mention 'talking' I do a move, everyone does, of letting the ball fall into the cup from my hand...I have these steel Mikame cups and they do make a sound though no one other than me notices.
thirdeye3
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thirdeye3
Thanks for the website. I was just going to ask about that. Any other websites for balls?
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
^ I purchased my straights, chopped, and final loads here, and have been extremely satisfied:

http://www.rnt2.com/
thirdeye3
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thirdeye3
Is there any particular size of ball that goes with cups? I see 3/4, 1 inch, 1.5 inch. For say a medium sized cup.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1079 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Thirdeye, if you're getting a RNT cup, each cup page has suggested balls to use on each cup's page. That's a good starting place.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 11:55, whbuch wrote:
^ I purchased my straights, chopped, and final loads here, and have been extremely satisfied:

http://www.rnt2.com/

I agree. The adjustable nature of these balls make them (IMO) the only balls to consider (for chopped, that is).

Also, I like 7/8" balls for my mini chop cups. They're large enough to be seen, yet appropriate for this size cup.
3/4" (for me) is a little too small. But, that's just me!

Then again, nobody really cares 'sept us magicians! Smile
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
thirdeye3
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thirdeye3
I had bought a dvd on chop cup, the worlds greatest magic series. Many routines all very good. After looking at it, I can see that the chop cup routine does differ a great deal than the c&b routine. I had bought a combo set that came with one gaffed ball. I think I'll stick with the c&b routine for now. But I need one normal ball to replace the gaffed ball. Its hard to tell the size of the balls. I don't have a ruler. Maybe 3/4 or 1 inch. The set I have is by Uday, aluminum, combo set. They are well made. I have no complaints. Does anyone know the size they might be?
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I believe they are 3/4 inch, but you might be able to reach out to U Day to confirm the size.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Put a straight edge across both sides of the ball and measure the gap. That'll get you pretty close!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
In my experience it can be difficult to match color, size and quality of the crochet when trying to add balls to an existing set. Unless the store that sold you the first set can guarantee that additional balls will match exactly, you will save a lot of trouble by just purchasing a new set of 4 which will be all identical.
Also 3/4" balls are pretty small, if you go ahead and get a whole new set, regardless of who you purchase them from, shoot for a 1" set, or 7/8" at the minimum.

And thank to you guys who endorse the RNT balls!
thirdeye3
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of thirdeye3
Thanks, I emailed Uday and he said they were 1 inch.
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
I will say my cups are Bazar de Magia, and my hands are average size...I know it's not possible to be "extremely average," which is an oxymoron...but really, my hands are the definition of average sized.

I bought 1-1/8 balls from rnt2.com. They are beautiful and came as advertised, but I wish I had gone with 1" or perhaps 7/8". Although they fit in my cups, the 1-1/8 are just a shade too big, and I have an unavoidable bulge while f****r p******.

I will probably end up ordering some 1" very soon. Live and learn I guess.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Don't give up on the larger balls. Gazzo uses rather large balls and it works just find. I too use 1 1/4 balls with no problem. The secret is to just cradle it loosely in the hand, sort of grasping it with the third finger and letting the little finger act as a "shelf." This leaves you in a very natural, nearly open hand that implies that nothing could possibly be hidden there without dropping it. Check out Michael Ammar's essay "Natural lay of the Hand"

My hand was resting on the table with the ball palmed, but it could have just as well been in the air or in motion reaching for a cup.

No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thanks for the website, dader76. I was perplexed about dimension too until I bought inexpensive calipers at the local hardware store. 7/8" is the best size for me. I can go to an inch. When I go larger I run into loading problems. When I go smaller, I think they look too little in proportion to my cups.

I've spent a ton of money searching for the right balls. The balls that have the best grip, like Fakini's or superballs, bind on the inside the cups during a slide move. Monkey firsts also have a nice feel, but can give me trouble too. Right now I'm most comfortable with RNT2's and I just received some Mike Rogers baseballs to play with. I'll pursue the lead you suggest. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups or Chop cups (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL