The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair suspension question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Today I received my Chair Suspension and I am very excited (thanks Matt Adams). A quick question, how many (if any) perform the chair suspension and DO NOT remove the board? Do you feel this lessens the effect or perhaps the removal of the board adds some level of conviction?

The board (or sleigh) is quite, well, ugly (across all chair suspensions - have not seen a "normal" board. (Ladder ..yes, board no). I am toying with either leaving the board in place (shortening the cloth so it does not have to cover my assistant) or building a better board. I am interested in anyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Stu
Stuart Foreman
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7414 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have a version where you can't remove the board, and I've used it in hundreds of shows over the last couple of decades. My illusion works a little differently than others.

Here's a photo of it:

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 15:52, seforeman wrote:
Today I recieved my Chair Suspension and I am very excited (thanks Matt Adams). A quick question, how many (if any) perform the chair suspension and DO NOT remove the board? Do you feel this lessens the effect or perhaps the removal of the board adds some level of conviction? The board (or sleigh) is quite, well ugly (across all chair suspensions - have not seen a "normal" board, ladder ..yes, board no). I am toying with either leaving the board in place (shortening the cloth so it does not have to cover my assistant) or building a better board. Interested in anyones thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

Stu

Good question Stu! The purpose of removing the board is to show that the assistant is truly floating unassisted! If the board is left in place, the audience MAY perceive that it is cleverly gimmicked to support the assistant. But with NO visible support, the illusion is much stronger, IMO.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I used the old Abbott's one for years (with wooden folding chairs) and the board could not be removed. Still played very well.
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Thank you Matt and Donald. Donald - do you think NOT removing the board lessens the effect at all - or do you feel you get the same feeling of "enchantment/mystery" from the audience?

Stu
Stuart Foreman
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Leaving the board definitely looks suspicious. That cloth is there for a reason.

The broom suspension works in a similar way... There is no board on that. How would the broom suspension look if there was a board? Pretty gimmicky.
The asrah does not use a board. How would the asrah look is the assistant floated above your head - but they were laying on a board? Pretty dumb.
What about a floating dollar bill. How would it look if you put the bill in a box then floated the box... everyone would be waiting for the lid to open and the bill to rise above it otherwise it would be a floating box.

Take the board away.

Quote:
The board (or sleigh) is quite, well ugly
Quote"
No one but you is looking at how beautiful or ugly the board is. Everyone is looking at the assistant.
- - - - -
Here's a question for everyone else:
How many times has someone come up to you after the show and told you that your board looked ugly?
OK. How many of you had someone come up and asked "How did you make him Float in the air?
- - - -
Even if the board is ugly, just pretend it's the clothing on your date: As soon as it's removed, you aren't thinking about it any more. You're only thinking about what's in front of you.

Remove the board.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Guys take a step forward but not back - to develop and grow, look : http://www.magicshop.pro/iluzije?product_id=123 The gimmick can curl up!!! Good luck.
Sergey.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 17:44, serg wrote:
Guys take a step forward but not back - to develop and grow, look : http://www.magicshop.pro/iluzije?product_id=123 , gimmick can curl up!!! Good luck....Sergey.

Wow, gotta say I really like that. I was honestly fooled the first time thru- VERY innocent looking (the gimmick "area" that is- not quite as much for those chairs, but still really cool idea).
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4445 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 17:44, serg wrote:
Guys take a step forward but not back - to develop and grow, look : http://www.magicshop.pro/iluzije?product_id=123 , gimmick can curl up!!! Good luck....Sergey.

Fantastic but I have 2 questions....

1 do you have to do it at that speed? Smile
2 what was the performer making a note of?
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I remove the board, then use a Thought Bubble saying "I'm flying"
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Wow, love the passion in this forum. I counted on Jay ( and hoping Kyle does as well). So, if the "board" adds to this effect, then has any thought been given to improving it? I know I have a number of thoughts on improving it. Was curious if any one else did?

Stu
Stuart Foreman
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Just another thought, does the direction of the chairs matter. I like the end to end, but notice others put them seat to seat? Not sure it makes a diff one way or another..

Stu
Stuart Foreman
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Let's say two chairs can be: end to end - seat to seat - end to seat - seat to end Smile

If you want to perform a standard chair suspension you can put your chairs only in 2 of the 4 combinations above... and I can't say more Smile test it with your chairs and you'll discover why
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-18 15:04, Sorcerer wrote:
Let's say two chairs can be: end to end - seat to seat - end to seat - seat to end Smile

If you want to perform a standard chair suspension you can put your chairs only in 2 of the 4 combinations above... and I can't say more Smile test it with your chairs and you'll discover why

Basically the gimmick restricts which way you can set them up. But Sorcerer is correct - you can choose 2 out of the 4 combinations he mentioned.

Here's one thing to note - if you REALLY put a board on top of two chairs, you'd do it seat to seat because of stability. Any other combination would be even more dangerous than it may already appear. Try it with two normal chairs and a single board. Try sitting on that board...lol. You'll quickly discover why it makes sense to do seat to seat. Smile There's this pesky thing call CG - center of gravity. Smile

seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
Sorry, I meant seat to seat and seat to end. Still working on the board.

But again thanks Matt, the suspension is great. I have also sent an mail to Citizen Kane saying I found his rosebud Smile

Stu
Stuart Foreman
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 20:18, seforeman wrote:
I have also sent an mail to Citizen Kane saying I found his rosebud Smile

Stu

Haha, that's awesome. Smile

Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Anybody here ever use the Robert Harbin Chair Suspension? I never had one but always wished that I did.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
seforeman
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of seforeman
I have been trying to find pictures / video of either the Bill Smith or Harbin chair suspension (no luck). Did Harbin's original design allow for the board to be removed?

Stu
Stuart Foreman
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Yes, the board could be removed in the Harbin Version. There is a picture of it in the Robert Harbin Book of Magic, but I sold my copy years ago. Bill Smith might have a picture.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Here's a clip from You Tube which shows a version of the Harbin Chair Suspension:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIPN0zLbsE
As I recall the chairs are about right, but there's a part mission. I've tried to locate a picture or clip of Harbin doing it, but to no avail.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair suspension question (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL