The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Opening Tenyo packaging (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
Hi,

Since I started being fascinated by Tenyo, I've always had a big problem opening the boxes in a decent way. I tried opening along the designated line, peeling apart the paper layers, cutting with a cutter,...
It's such a shame that those packages almost everytime are completely destroyed... They are, especially the older ones, graphically too beautiful for that!

What is your favourite way of opening a Tenyo package?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
This is why people collect two copies of everything: one to open and one to keep sealed.
I gave that up and just keep open items.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I open everything.
The only reason I can see to collect sealed boxes is if you consider your Tenyo collection as an investment.
When opening I do try to be as neat as possible, often using a knife to peal apart the cardboard,
but, in the end that trick is coming out of it's package Smile
I try to buy used items so as not to pay the unopened premium.

Hmmm, The INVESTMENT value of Tenyo. Definitely worthy of it's own thread Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
All of my tenyo items are open and
on my shelfs for display.i do have the boxes
for them in my drawers though.
todd
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Something I have done is to cut the clear plastic part of the package on three sides with a razor knife and open it like a door. It does no damage to the cardboard and the damage to the blister is not really visible.

I have seen a lot of opened Tenyo over the past year and I have never come across a package opened in that manner.

I got Geometrick out of the package just thru the diecut opening in the back with just a tiny tear on each end.

Parabox I opened like the tricks that are packaged with the perforations in the front (Presidents Cabinet, Fortune Sticks, etc) where you slide the blister part of the package out toward the bottom.

Of course there are about 15 or so tricks where the glue failed and those are great because you can play without damaging the package.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Seems like were all careful/neat when opening a package, but for resale purposes
an open (therefore used) box still will get a used price. Interesting in that I have
never noticed on Ebay a seller noting, "opened neatly"
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 10:41, edshern wrote:
I open everything.
The only reason I can see to collect sealed boxes is if you consider your Tenyo collection as an investment.

I partially agree Edshern, but there are other reasons.

I like an unopened box because when I will finally have the space and money to buy some professional looking display cabinets I am planning to put each item out of the box/package and sealed in the package behind it in the cabinet. Some packages are really works of art and I think it would look beautifull.

Another reason to have a spare mint in package is because Tenyo, how good the quality is, is made from plastic. And moving parts for example often will eventually wear out in the end, the gimmick can become more visible, or the trick can even stop working in some cases. And it's nice to know you still have a mint, 'untouched' version of the trick.

But ... of course the 'investment' value can also be important. As I told numerous people before I like Tenyo A LOT and the thought of selling my collecting or even my mint in package back-ups has never crossed my mind so far. But you never know what the future will bring ... . Soms of us have a collection that is worth thousands of USD/EURO's, but when there ever would be the need to sell the stuff it would take ages!
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
KillerT is right. If/when it ever comes time to sell our collection, it won't be easy.
I recently considered selling off some of my less favorite items and finally
decided that it simply wasn't worth the hassle. And we have all seen that grouping
items together does not bring the best price. Maybe as the market for Tenyo matures
further the scarcity and new collectors will make our marketplace more liquid.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
That's to bad that you found it a hassle Ed. There are many of us on this forum that would have been happy to give you some money so we could also get some pleasure out of your unwanted Tenyo items. Kind of like spreading the joy and getting a bit of money for your trouble (I have seen the term Good Tenyo Karma being used).
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 09:04, edshern wrote:
Seems like were all careful/neat when opening a package, but for resale purposes
an open (therefore used) box still will get a used price. Interesting in that I have
never noticed on Ebay a seller noting, "opened neatly"

When I was selling on the big auction site, I would use plenty of hi-res photos and point out the packaging condition.

I put a lot of effort into the pictures. If you see a seller on the big auction site selling a Tenyo with only one small picture, be weary, because you can post 10 hi-res photos for free in the category of Magic. Why did they not make an effort to present the item properly? Either they are hiding something, or don't really care too much about what they are selling.

In fact I started creating the repro packages so I could present great tricks in a more attractive way.

Which Billscape would you rather purchase. The loose one, or the repro packaged one for $25 more.

When all is said and done, I think the nicer packaged and repro packaged items sold for more.

It might not have been worth the extra effort and time it took to make them that way, but it made a better experience for my customers and that was my goal.

stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Always this sort of displaced suspicion about other persons and sellers without trying to think a little farther than the tip of your nose.
I thought we were done with this kind of attitude for a long time... I'm tired of this kind of behavior.

You must pay for each additional photo after the first one here in France and maybe in Europe and lot of other country...
Everyone is not capable of "feats" like yours with photoshop or camera, Some people do not have a camera other than their telephonne, others do not really know how to resize and transferring photos to the computer, others perhaps not have time because of work, because they are up to early morning and returned to his home at the night.
Others probably know not how collectors can picky beings to objects they buy.
Last week I received a message on the blog of a grandmother who collects some Tenyo and has trouble moving his hands and asked me for advice on Four DX Nightmare. Everyone is not like you, all the scenario can be possible.

YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THEIR LIFE.

So no ... don't be weary, just think a little bit more to understand.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Most collectors know that buying the small box Tenyo tricks is all about the box. Many of these tricks are ones you may never perform and many of these early tricks can be purchased today in Japanese packaging for a lot less. So the box is a big part of what you are buying.

This auction below is exactly what I was talking about above.

I have bought this exact item from this exact seller and I can tell you that the sticker mentioned is a major problem. "The only thing is that they have bar coded stickers that we put on them. Easily removable with a little Goo Gone." I have ways of removing stickers from Tenyo packages and this is the only one that I could not remove. If the sticker is easily removed, why not remove it to eliminate the issue? The main problem I see is that the pictures shown do not show the sticker. The sticker is a concern and there is no picture of it. I am not going to try and guess why the trick is presented this way but for sure a picture of this sticker would be helpful to the buyer.

Also small pictures are used for whatever reason (maybe his grandmother has arthritis;-). Not a problem for this auction, but not good for the Sutekina auction from the same seller. You can't tell if the trick is cosmetically damaged. Sutekina is made from the rigid plastic that Tenyo used early on and this material often is chipped or damaged. I bought a Sutekina with broken plastic. It works, but it was an eyesore and not good for my collection. Also there is no way of telling if the string is original or not.

What I meant to say above was be "wary" (which means be careful) not "weary". There is a famous latin saying that goes back to ancient times "Caveat emptor" which basically means "buyer beware." That is all I was trying to say above and that is all I am trying to say now. So please no more personal attacks on me, all I am trying to do is educate the new buyers, I am sorry if it is not interesting to some of the veterans here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-Little-Sav......ce55ef73
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
It's not personal attack. There is no reason to see things this way John. I just ask to be open minded and positive and not seeing evil everywhere.
I agee with you, be careful when you buy tricks. But do not hesitate to simply ask to the seller, communicate, it's more easy this way. You want to look at the pros, ask new photos. If the seller seem unwilling then you know may be it is not a good deal for you. Anything can happen in such very simple way.
Maybe as usual I don't really understand subtleties of language, but from my side it gives often an unpleasant impression when you speak about this, and it makes me recall the Ultra Tube gate with judgments that seem negative and full of certitudes. I try too to educate as you says, trying to see things from another side. More peaceful and comprehensive.
I told the grandmother that Four Nightmare DX is good trick but not easy to handle ;o)
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Stereo,

I always look for the positive in everything but I am smart enough to have a good memory and call it as I see it.

Unfortunately my dealings with individuals selling Tenyo for the most part has been an overall disgrace (there have been some exceptions).

That is something that I cannot control, just the way it is and something that should not be.

I came to the Tenyo section of the Café one year ago and quickly noticed that people were not be forthright in their dealing so I started the Good Karma Club to maybe turn the tide, but I was ridiculed for that and personally attacked by more than a few here.

I think that is is wrong that you are quick to criticize my tone by take no time to address dishonest sellers.

Another point, many here can attest that I do not do business like this, in fact it is the exact opposite. So when I try so hard to do the right thing by Tenyo collectors, people who do the opposite really irk me.

Lastly, there are only so many times you can use the "lost in translation" excuse.

You are rude and mean with some of your posts and then come back and use this excuse. The nasty tone of your recent posts are really easy to see no matter what the language.

It is clear to me and the many people who contact me privately that you have a grudge against me so stop trying to sugar coat it.

I got over the Ultra Tube incident and apologized to you directly saying that I was wrong. If you are going to keep on bringing it up, then my assessment is that I really did hit on something.

This is all my opinion.

Feel free to go off on a rant and threaten to take down the blog as you always do when something doesn't go your way.

John Mazza
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
My experience purchasing Magic on the Café or auctions has been with the exception of one transaction been positive and professional. Not sure if I am an exception, curious to hear from others.

John
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
And just to solidify my point ...

Why in the thread below, when I am being positive and trying to promote a good dealer, do you once again have negative things to say about me?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=258
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The most surefire way I know to remove labels is with Rubber Cement Thinner. You soak the sticker and underlying cardboard--no need to worry. The liquid dissolves the sticker's adhesive and if you work carefully and slowly, it can be peeled off and leave no residue. The Rubber Cement Thinner leaves no mark on the cardboard and dries almost instantly.

On a stubborn sticker, you need to have a paper towel soaked, which you slowly ease under the sticker as you peel it up.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I use Ronson Lighter Fluid. On the container it says "Excellent for Removing Labels" It leaves no stains and has worked on all but one label. Some labels are more stubborn so if it is not coming off I leave it and come back to it and try and do a little at a time by scratching at it with my fingernail. But for the most part I just soak with the fluid and the sticker comes right off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Opening Tenyo packaging (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL