The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Winter Carnival of Magic March 7-9 - Losander (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Winter Carnival of Magic is held early in March 7-9 at the Country Tonite Theatre in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Each year the three day convention features several lectures, a dealer's room, a close up competition, a stage competition and two evening shows.

Winter Carnival of Magic Location

Since 2005, the Winter Carnival of Magic has been held at the Country Tonite Theatre in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. This is a large and modern theater with a raked [sloping] plush seating arrangement and broadway style lighting.

The Theatre is located on the east side of the main parkway, just south of the Hatfield and McCoy and WonderWorks Theatres and North of Teaster Lane.

http://wintercarnivalofmagic.com/

We have the following dealers for 2013

Bill Pryor Productions
Cressey Coils (John Reed)
DoveLite Silks (Bob Sanders)
Haines House of Cards
H&R Magic Books
Richard Turner
Touch of Class

See you folks there!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
See you there Bob!

Steve
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Steve,

It will be nice seeing you come so far west! Kyle Jarrard and James Adamson are going to be there too. Maybe we can convince you that you don't actually have to get shots to visit us in Alabama some day.

Winter Carnival is aways a good one. And we are only weeks away!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Bob -

It ain't the shots...it's the size of the needles that scares me.

See 'ya in 30 days!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
Hey Bob,
Looking forward to seeing your there... I need to visit with you while I am there.. need to pick up a few silks.

Don
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don,

Please do! Anything special I need to bring?

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
Bob,
Need a couple yellow regular cut 18 inch silks.. I am sure you will have those
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hundreds of them! For some reason that color has gotten very popular again. Do you know why?
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
No..I don't. I need them for an effect I am putting together. I am actually planning to use a couple of your silks in my spot of the Friday night show.. you may not recognize them.. but they will be there.. (they are not yellow Smile )
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I look forward to it!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Getting ready to go! See you there.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
May have room for a roommate.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
Ok, since I have not seen anyone else comment, here is my review of this year's Winter Carnival of Magic.
This was the 39th WCM and through the years it has consistently been one of the best conventions I have attended. It is always fun to see old friends and meet new ones. Once again the WMC was held at the Country Tonight Theater in Pigeon Forge, Tn.

Dealer Room - I think there were 14 dealers this year including H&R Books, Smoky Mtn Magic, Card Shark and Cresey. It was a good variety this year. It was nice to see Touch of Class there with their performer clothing. And of course you had the old reliables like Haines and Bill Pryor. One the big complaints in the past was that the dealer area was just too small and crowded. This year the organizers changed the set up and extended the room area, and I think it was great.

The convention kicked off with Harry Allen and his demo lecture. The crowd was kind of small since it was early Thursday afternoon but Harry did a good job. His booth was packed afterwards.

Next up was past SAM President, Andy Dallas. I had never seen Andy lecture before and was pleasantly surprised. One comment I heard afterwards was that his material was "doable". He had some very good and simple ideas. The highlight for me was his Knife Through Borrowed Jacket.

The evening kicked off with Richard Turner's One-Man Show and Lecture. I really cannot even describe how good Richard is. The show was mostly card mechanics in a poker setting. It included 2nd deals, center deals, bottom deals, amazing card locations and a lot of personal stories along the way. I was blown away with his skill and focus. all I can say is that Richard is on a different level than the rest of us, both in magic and in life. This show/lecture was worth the price of the convention for me.

At 9:30 Jeff Bibik performed his hypnosis show. He had no trouble getting 15 people on stage to help. After about 15 minutes a few of them were putting on a good show. One of the guys from our group volunteered just so he could see if he could be hypnotized. He said he really tried but after 30 minutes he just decided to go along and have fun. Hmmm, sounds to me like that was Bibik's goal all along. Some folks were very responsive and some were like stone. My friend said it proved to him that hypnosis is fake...I told him that was what Bibik told him to think. LOL.

Friday started off early with the Close-up contest. Before last year the close-up contests and shows were very difficult to stage in the theater. Unless you were in the first couple of rows you could not see. Last year they set up 4 different areas to watch the close-up and I think most people liked it better. This year they had two areas for the contest and it seemed to work well. The performers were in a tight spot and at least two were visibly uncomfortable about the setup. I thought the contest came down to Jim Vines and Frank Deville. Vines performed a nice signed card to pocket and eventually ending with the Omni Deck. Deville had the entire front row each sign cards (maybe 16 people). He then did a Fireworks type routine and located our cards. Both acts were very good, but I though Deville's was a little more entertaining and fun.

I skipped Jeff Bibik's lecture to peruse the dealer room. I had done good, up till then, not to spend any money. I did go to Lodander's lecture. Just like his act, it was a very professional and well thought out lecture. I heard several people comment about how much they liked it.

Friday afternoon was the stage competition with 9 entrants. There were some very good routines this year including Haydini with a named card to any number; Sir Patrick with his comedy magic act that won 2nd place at Abbott's last year; and Timothy (?) (I missed his last name) who performed a nice Banachek style act. But in my opinion, the show was highlighted by Mr. VIP! This was a 1970's themed dove/card manip act that was well done and very entertaining. This act has ALOT of potential. I thought M.B. (name hidden to protect the guilty) would win the People's Choice Award and 1st Place.

The Friday night show was MC'd by Judge Ray Corns who did an adequate job. Jessica Reed started things off with her polished dove act. I can't remember everything Murray Hatfield performed but I do remember I loved his Double Torn-and-Restored Newspaper using a spectator. Very nice. Larry Wilson brought his comedy act to the stage next. You would not believe how much mileage this professional can get from a Tossed-out Deck, a TT, and a Pop-Eyed Popper deck. Larry was Clift Mitchell's favorite of the night. Who is Clift Mitchell? Well, if you don't know Clift....
Don Baggett closed out the Friday night show with a mix of illusions. Overall this was an average show. Not terrible, but not great.

I slept in and missed Ray Corns 8:30am lecture on Saturday morning, but made it to the theater for the contest awards. I think the judges got it right this year and the people agreed.
1st place in Close-Up - Frank Deville
2nd place in Close-up - Jim Vines
People's Choice - Frank Deville

1st Place in Stage - Michael...I mean MR. VIP
2nd Place in Stage - Sir Patrick
People's Choice - Mr. VIP

I really wanted to see Murray Hatfield's lecture but Clift and I started talking to Richard Turner and with no one around we spent the next hour picking his brain about magic and his life. It made me realize how sorry of a magician I am, and how much potential we all leave on the table.

After lunch was the Pro Close-Up show. I have to say it was the low light of the convention for me. Definitely not the caliber of magic you expect to see in a pro show. Losander was very good as usual, and Michael Dardant from New Orleans was outstanding. Other than that it ranged from average to below average.

Again this year, all registrants were able to buy tickets to the Hatfield and McCoy Dinner Show for only $9.99. That's a HUGE discount on a great show. WCM has done a great job the past few years giving us deals like this on area shows.

Jeff Bibik MC'd the Saturday night show and did a very good job. I thought he much more entertaining in that show than his hypnosis show. Losander was pure magic. I have seen him many times and never tire of watching him perform. Mr. VIP was asked to make a special appearance in the show. Again, very entertaining. Matt Jergens' juggling was the variety act, and was very good. Dardant was brilliant in a comedy stand-up type appearance. Most of his jokes were magic-aimed so it went over very well. Jason Hudy closed, and according to several people, stole the show when he borrowed a shoe from a kid and it disappeared up a giant magician's sleeve illusion. To get it back the kid had to wave bigger and bigger wands. In the end the shoe was returned along with some candy which the kid put in the shoe and then tried to wear it off the stage. The crowd loved it. This turned out to be a very good and entertaining show.

Can't wait till next year! It will be the 40th so everyone is hoping for an amazing lineup and great time!
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Thanks Scot, great review.

I knew Jason would do good!
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Ace of Spades, thanks for the review. I was able to attend Thursday and Friday but had to leave so I missed Saturday and didn't know the contest results. The two guys who were first and second in the close-up contest both did great jobs, though I slightly preferred Vines. But the highlight for me was getting to see Richard Turner. I was blown away. It's one of those acts that you just have to see live to appreciate it. I tried to explain it to my wife but it's difficult to explain how amazing it is unless you see it. Though I thought the overall talent was a bit down this year as opposed to previous years, I loved the convention as always and can't wait until next year.
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
Magicman812, yes by far the highlight of the convention was Turner. Like I said he is on a different level than ANYONE else. Simply amazing. I think everyone thought the talent level was down compared to past years. Several folks from our club decided not to go for that reason. Hopefully they are saving up for next year's 40th.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Winter Carnival of Magic March 7-9 - Losander (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL