We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coinvexed - Third Generation (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Just imagine explaining something remotely complex to Father Dougal and you will soon give up this fruitless argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9PnnNIllqk

:thumbsup:
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4058 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 00:26, tomsk192 wrote:
Just imagine explaining something remotely complex to Father Dougal and you will soon give up this fruitless argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9PnnNIllqk

:thumbsup:

I concur.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
What was that you said, Ted? Smile
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4058 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 00:30, tomsk192 wrote:
What was that you said, Ted? Smile

He was the surprisingly normal one too. Ha ha ha.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smile
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of bonesly
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 22:13, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 21:38, bonesly wrote:
Hahahaha I used to work at Hamleys as well. Calum and Bruce trained me. Bruce is still there!
When were you there? I didn't get any training but back then the resident magician job was effectively a gig. I auditioned and was given the job and the nearest I got to training was someone showing me how to work the till. I left Hamleys around about '85 and rather than getting a new resident magician they closed the magic department and replaced it with a Marvins magic concession..

Ah unfortunately I joined when it was Marvins Magic and that was 2002. The training was basically about how to sell the Svens, Dynamic coins and those dreaded drawing boards!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3616 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
It's a shame they closed the magic department but times change. Hamleys have had some great resident magicians including, Harry Baron, Ron McMillan and my own Father but once Hamleys was bought out by a department store chain (Debenhams I think) the whole ethos of the store changed and the staff had to wear uniforms instead of suits and they started closing the store for celebrities like Michael Jackson. The only problem with having a professional magic department in the worlds largest toy store is that I was regularly telling mothers that a full sized set of Chinese linking rings, or a Dove from burning gloves was not really appropriate for their 5 year old no matter how clever you think he is lol.
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of bonesly
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 04:28, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
It's a shame they closed the magic department but times change. Hamleys have had some great resident magicians including, Harry Baron, Ron McMillan and my own Father but once Hamleys was bought out by a department store chain (Debenhams I think) the whole ethos of the store changed and the staff had to wear uniforms instead of suits and they started closing the store for celebrities like Michael Jackson. The only problem with having a professional magic department in the worlds largest toy store is that I was regularly telling mothers that a full sized set of Chinese linking rings, or a Dove from burning gloves was not really appropriate for their 5 year old no matter how clever you think he is lol.

I agree I wish I was around those times. Nowadays Marvins Magic use anybody to demonstrate the tricks and a lot of the time I pass by, these basic tricks are demonstrated poorly.
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Rabid
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 21:01, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 20:46, tomsk192 wrote:
I would go further, and suggest that some of these coin-benders may not be capable of a basic s****, let alone a more sophisticated procedure.

It's funny you should say that, Dynamo did a coin bend on his show and the switch was so painfully bad it made me cringe literally. Haha that kind of makes my point about success not necessarily being a measure of skill. Interestingly every time I have seen Dynamo perform on a show other than his own he has used a Svengali deck and know he isn't the guy I referred to in my earlier post lol.

I recall one of Blaines specials (I think it was the first or second one) where he did a coin bite for a couple of people. The method was basically signposted, on camera for all to see. I would have been shocked by it...but at the time, I was a spec, not a hobbyist magician. Sufficed to say, no one I've ever mentioned it to / discussed it with who is not a magician has anything to say about it other than, "Hey, that was f'ing cool...y'know, when he bit the coin in half and then like, literally spat it back on..."

Presentation is pretty much everything. Presentation, and commitment. With those two things in the bag, you're pretty much golden. Who gives a f*** how one bends the sodding coin?

Saying that, I still haven't come across better than my Superman Coin Bend. Direct, signed, at the fingertips, effectively clean at the moment the 'bend happens'.

Magic.

Steph
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4058 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Agreed Rabid. These are just methods to achieve the bend, at the end it's just the routine and how well you sell the routine which matters.

As for Superman, I use to own that, I've just used it as a pre-b utility until that pen came out (not the QB, the other one which unscrews into two pieces). It was convenient, doubled as a fully functional pen which I did use as such and many a spec have used it to sign things with, plus I always had it on me so that I can prep coins at a moments notice.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1988 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 19:49, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 17:56, lunatik wrote:
There are many pro's that completely disagree with you and prove it by how they perform a coin bend.

There is a subtle difference between how someone "performs a coin bend" and how someone "bends a coin" and I think that is the point that kissdadookie is making. However, the bit that prompted me to reply was this notion that a pro or the commonly used term "working pro" automatically knows best. I see this notion commonly propogated on the Café and my experience as a former "working pro" myself is that this is not the case. The most knowledgable and skilled magicians I have met in magic have commonly been hobbyests. Some of the most respected names in magic such as Marlo and Jennings were hobbiests.

The most important knowledge and skill required to make it as a working pro is busness accumen and marketing ablity. As long as you have those you can be highly successful as a working pro with fairly limited skills as a magician. When I first turned pro and started meeting other pro's on the circuit one of the first things that shocked me was how many I met that had no real passion for magic and saw it purely as a business. One of the most successful guys on the table hopping circuit in London back then new a total of around a dozen effects, mostly using things like the Svengali deck. He was neither a terrible performer nor a great one and he didn't even know who Dai Vernon was yet he was very successful because he knew how to market himself.

This was a big shock to me and in many ways a kind of wake up call. I had spent years and years mastering my craft, I was extremely well read, practiced for an average of 8 hours a day, could do knuckle busting sleight of hand, was well respected by my peers, was in with the magical mafia (as a certain group of well known magicians were known). I was teaching John Carey, having sessions with Kevin Reay and swapping tricks with Michael Vincent, Jerry Sadowitz and countless others of that ilk and Michael Ammar was interested in publishing my routines. It seemed that I was at the top of my game and destined for great things. Yet here was a guy with little more than a Svengali deck earning twice as much as me and he was closer to the norm, it was I who was the exception.

Valuable lesson learned, being a good magician will not make you a successful pro, understanding the art of magic is far less imprortant than understanding the business of magic (or themagic of business) lesson 2, a reputation amongst your fellow magicians means nothing to a booker. In fact you professionalism as a contractor means far more to most bookers than your skill as a magician, providing you are not lousy most bookers care more about whether you will show up on time, look clean and smart, behave appropriately and fit in with the image of the establishment than how many varients of a side steal or three fly you can perform.

As a hobbiest my focus had been on perfecting each move, making every movement justified, creating poetry with cards and coins. Suddenly as a working pro my focus moved to doing things by the simplest method, filling my time slot exactly, no more no less, being able to reset quickly, managing my pocket space, fitting the set to the venue and dare I say it squeezing the maximum entertainment out of the minimum effort (by minimum effort don't mistake this for meaning I didn't work hard, the reality is that you are putting tons of time and energy into the business side adding 400 hours to perfect a sleight is simply not cost effective a good pro will learn to be able to do a little well. Even my cabaret act was focussed far more on entertainment value than magical quality, it was reallly more comedy than magic and again working the clubs it was surprising how many people had built their acts from the supreme magic catalogue (and even more annoyingly from watchng other performers and copying the bits that worked). I suspect a lot of pro's have seen less original pro's in their audience armed with a note book

There are many very skilled and immensly knowledgable pro's and we can all name a very long list but they arethe exeption, not the norm, the vast majority of pro's are unknown to us and a huge amount of them have no real interest in magic at "clocking off time" it's simply their job and I was shocked to find out how many pro's see it like that. Incidentally when I had kids and so had to come off the road to do a "proper job" I landed a job in the games industry at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe where I was just as surprised to learn I was the only "hard core gamer" in the whole development studio.

So being a pro is not an accurate measure of somebodies knowledge. Those pro's who's reputations reach our fraternity are great because they are the cream that has risen to the top and it has done so because of their passion for our art, not simply because they are a pro. Even those that we see as the cream are ften not the biggest earners obviously with exceptions like Copperfield et al.

Those that love, and dare I say it, truly understand the art we call magic will find very little in kissadookies posts that can be easily dismissed. The method you use to bend the coin is far less important than the performance you use to sell the effect. Whether it is a pre b, a cv, a superman or a QB2 is far less important than the emotion you generate in the spectators and the experience as seen through their eyes.

Rant over Smile

Mark

Wow, Mark, great post!!
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Hi Mark_Chandaue,

yes, great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! There's much truth in it...

Off-topic: Keep on playing (video games) Smile

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Review please Smile ..I don't understand ...In Coinvexed 1 I could bend the coins during the sign coin .How will be now if the sharpie is in my hand ?
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
?
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 08:25, bonesly wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 04:28, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

I agree I wish I was around those times. Nowadays Marvins Magic use anybody to demonstrate the tricks and a lot of the time I pass by, these basic tricks are demonstrated poorly.

I ran Marvins around that time in Toys R Us Times Square and FAO Schwarz after that, small world lol

Back to the topic lol Does anyone know if they plan on releasing a demo?
sgiandubh
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sgiandubh
Coinvexed 3 with brown gimmick ? for UK users save your money and stick with the Silver gimmick. I upgraded at Blackpool and wish I hadn't, the cap improvement is nice albeit you don't need it for the effect. The brown gimmick sucks on UK coins so stick with the silver gimmick save your money and enjoy! I have now purchased some original silver gimmicks and could not be happier with them. I have used coinvexed for many years and it is one of my favourite effects but c'mon WMS be straight when you bring out these improvements when I asked about the differences at Blackpool there was no mention of the change to accomodate US and European coins which means it sucks with UK coins (you might get away with 50 pence coins). The bend is more of an angle than curve and coins slip, not good. I have raised it with WMS and the response pretty poor... (oh yeah I was offered a swap back to an old gimmick so £95 well spent) Well on the bright side it has highlighted how good another magic dealer down in Ashford Kent is...thank you Peter.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
731 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
One thing about Alakazam over the years if I've ever had Any problem they have always refunded me no questions asked!

What did they say?
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Heard mixed comments about it. Hope it turns out to be great!
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Hi guys,

I just bought it and it's my first coin bending tool. The two parts of the gimmick seem to be built to last forever Smile
You can use it to bend any copper Euro coin and also the 10 & 20 cent coins.
As I said it's my first tool for such an effect and I'm practicing to get the feeling for it and to build up some strenght in my hands for the bending.
I'm not sure if there's anybody out there who will be able to bend a thicker Euro coin like the 50c coin (maybe the incredible Hulk)

I can't compare version 3 to version 1 or 2 because I don't own them.
The DVD is well produced with live performances and David Penn is a really great teacher. He covers pretty everything you'll need to know...

I'm happy with it Smile

Cheers
Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
HI guys, I just received this and I think its Awesome!

I do have a have the coin slip every now and then,is this just inexperience? Probably,but I was wondering if there were any tips to make the gimmick not slip as much.

WEll Im off to practice.
Derek Johnston
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coinvexed - Third Generation (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL