The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Booked" DVD review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
Nice review Mark,even if I was doubtful, now I think that I will consider this..only one thing,can you manage the ga***d card easily,can the spectator see something strange?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
You can handle the gaff completely freely, he even shows you how to make a gaff the spectator can put into the book. You push a card or business card into a book at the point the spectator indicates to bookmark the location, this is done fairly and you can remove it and move it if they are not happy with the position. You then turn your head completely away and open the page at the bookmark for the spectator to glance the first word. This display can allow them to see the back of the gaff and they will just see a normal card or business card. The version without the card is a little more angley but with practice and a good gimmick it could be done almost surrounded.

I think those people giving this a hammering haven't actually watched the DVD and have jumped on it because whilst the card is seen in the trailer it's usage is not explicit and I must admit that did put me off slightly. Had the trailer shown a full performance as in the DVD I would have picked it up before it got worker of the week so I'm kind of glad because that hesitation earned me a free trick for my wallet.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
For 30 bucks I think I'll now give it a chanche..
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This more than passed the girlfriend test. Took a book to my girlfriends and did this, then told her to get one of her own books. I then handed her a folded piece of paper and repeated the effect with her book. She was impressed when I revealed the word but when she opened the prediction that I wrote before she even got the book she was floored.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 06:33, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
This more than passed the girlfriend test. Took a book to my girlfriends and did this, then told her to get one of her own books. I then handed her a folded piece of paper and repeated the effect with her book. She was impressed when I revealed the word but when she opened the prediction that I wrote before she even got the book she was floored.

Mark

We would be lost without girlfriend Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I get a double test with my girlfriend because she likes magic but doesn't really like mentalism so if a mentalism effect impresses her I know its a winner.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
We would be lost without girlfriend Smile

My wife told me to loose my girlfriend... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
My wife has met my girlfriend which was a strange experience lol. Took my girlfriend to a nightclub and we walked through the door and bumped straight into my wife. That was an interesting introduction girlfriend meet wife, wife meet girlfriend. It's probably worth mentioning that my wife and I have been separated for 4 years (divorce pending) but we are on friendly terms.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
Mark only one doubt: Can the spectator see clearly the moment when I put the card in the book or is there a kind of angle that I have to hide?
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2013-02-19 05:54, GCanuzzi wrote:
Mark only one doubt: Can the spectator see clearly the moment when I put the card in the book or is there a kind of angle that I have to hide?

you can be surrounded (unless I've missed something on the DVD), no angle issues
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
This is exciting news ... I hope you guys continue to buy such products you deserve the finest.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2013-02-19 14:54, CarlZen wrote:
This is exciting news ... I hope you guys continue to buy such products you deserve the finest.

thanks Carl
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Yes no angle concerns unless you do the no bookmark version and even then the angle concerns are minor. I love this, 25 quid very well spent. Today I did the Pegasus page version and had the page appear on the wall at the far end of the room. The reactions were insane, they look at the page then the book is immediately and cleanly handed to them. The revelation of the word gets great reactions but then when they open the book and the page is gone and it is in plain view 20 foot away when you haven't moved..... That's priceless. Like Glance this is way too cheap.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
I have place an order,hope to get it soon to share my opinion Smile
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Wow, I must say I enjoyed reading this entire thread from beginning to end. For a second this effect was getting hammered to death. Then it took a sudden GIANT U-Turn when Mark_Chandaue stepped in with his in-depth solid review, that changed the tone of this thread for the better! Nice work Mark! You made me a believer. I just saw Steve last week at the Magic Castle. He didn't rock Booked however. He was performing in the Close Up Gallery. And I would say this effect is much more suitable for the Parlor Of Prestidigitation, but I do wonder if you could get away with it in a super 'close up' burning you're hands atmosphere?
Posting ever so slightly.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I mostly do this close up and it rocks. I've done it seemingly impromptu with a borrowed book too. I carry 2 gimmicked business cards in my wallet, one with numbered pages and one without. With a borrowed book I riffle the book and say this has a lot of pages (secretly I'm just glimpsing if they have page numbers at the top of each page). I then hand the book back and say look at the last page and see how many pages in the book, I don't even want to open it. While they do that I take out the correct gimmicked business card. After they have the word I remove the card and put it in my pocket. After I've revealed the word I reach into my pocket, pull out an ungimmicked card and say "you can keep the bookmark".

One thing to be aware of if using a borrowed book, a lot of novels these days have either the name of the author or the name of the book at the top of the page so if you use a borrowed book it is a lot safer to get someone other than the book owner to look at the word. If the owner is currently reading that book there is a tiny chance that they may notice the page does not have the title at the top. It's only a tiny chance because you neither open the book far enough or give them enough time to study more than the first word.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
GCanuzzi
View Profile
New user
Italy
51 Posts

Profile of GCanuzzi
I am so excited to receive Booked,unfortunately I won't be back home until march,i have a lot of ideas on how to combine this with a short chair test Smile
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Mark thanks for the good tips.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 08:51, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I mostly do this close up and it rocks. I've done it seemingly impromptu with a borrowed book too. I carry 2 gimmicked business cards in my wallet, one with numbered pages and one without. With a borrowed book I riffle the book and say this has a lot of pages (secretly I'm just glimpsing if they have page numbers at the top of each page). I then hand the book back and say look at the last page and see how many pages in the book, I don't even want to open it. While they do that I take out the correct gimmicked business card. After they have the word I remove the card and put it in my pocket. After I've revealed the word I reach into my pocket, pull out an ungimmicked card and say "you can keep the bookmark".

One thing to be aware of if using a borrowed book, a lot of novels these days have either the name of the author or the name of the book at the top of the page so if you use a borrowed book it is a lot safer to get someone other than the book owner to look at the word. If the owner is currently reading that book there is a tiny chance that they may notice the page does not have the title at the top. It's only a tiny chance because you neither open the book far enough or give them enough time to study more than the first word.

Mark

I recently purchased this and am now on the hunt for a few good pages. I too planned on making 2 gimmicks, WITH and WITHOUT numbers. But as I was searching, I also noticed authors and/or book titles at the top. So, my search is now to find a few books with good words, WITH and WITHOUT pages and WITHOUT the author or title at the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions or books with mid-range page numbers and without that have descent words and without the title/author?

I am heading to the book store in a couple of days, but if someone can save me sometime, to where I could just order them online, it would be greatly appreciated.

In my personal library, most of my books have the title or author at the top... Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just use an eraser...

or raid charity shops...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Booked" DVD review (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL