The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Science of Persuasion: Getting people to say "yes" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
This is a PHENOMENAL video about how to ethnically and practically get people to connect with you and be more likely to agree with you. I've analyzed it and applied my thoughts on how it applies to magic. Feel free to add your own thoughts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdCzN7RYbw

So I'm just going to go point-by-point and jot down my thoughts, on each one, let me know what you guys think. (Note: I'm specifically talking about how this applies to getting bigger tips while busking/table hopping, etc. But the overall themes can definitely apply to getting gigs)

[u]1. Reciprocity:[/u] The key there was something personalized, and unexpected. My immediate thought was the typical concept of a "souvenir" in magic. Letting someone keep a signed card, etc. Then the person feels obligated to tip you, probably more than the people who didn't get anything.

Another idea came to mind a bit later, a slightly more literal analysis on the study: What if you do cups and balls, but use Hershey's Kisses or Mini-Reese's Cups instead of the balls? They're about the same size, shouldn't be too hard to manipulate, and then you can give them out at the end of the routine. The concept of reciprocity definitely applies there, they're getting something tangible, and will be more likely to tip, and more generously, in return. What do you guys think?

According to this video that can result in an up to 23% increase in tips (insane!)

[u]2. Scarcity[/u]: Pretty straight forward. Stress the uniqueness of your act (even if it's a bit of a fib). Maybe say something like "I'm only in town for a few days" or something along those lines, so they know it's a one-time experience for them?

[u]3. Authority[/u]: One thing I immediately thought of is how helpful it is to have a "hype-man." Another magician is always the best choice, but actually the other day I was busking and a local man I know was bored and just hanging out, and he stayed for about an hour watching all my shows, always reacting really strongly, always motioning for passers-by to come watch, etc. I got huge tips during that time, and even gave him 10 bucks when he left as a thanks.

Another thing that came to mind is the obvious one, introducing yourself as an "expert". How you go about doing that will depend on the situation, but subtly and modestly building yourself up always helps tips.

[u]4. Consistency[/u]: This one is tough for me to think of an application for magic. Any ideas?

The first thing that comes to mind is just getting people to stop (when busking). That's a small initial sign of commitment. That's why for people that seem to be in a hurry or otherwise uninterested, I usually something along the lines of "Give me 30 seconds to amaze you, if it doesn't work you can walk away. Once you get them for the 30 seconds, it's very rare that they leave. Try to have a "hook"

[u]5. Liking[/u]: 3 factors-- People who are similar, people who pay compliments, and people who cooperate. Pretty straight forward, just try to be affable and likable and you'll get better tips haha. One thing kind of seemed to contradict my idea from #4 though, in this part he said it's best to exchange personal info, find similarities, be friendly, etc before starting, whereas my takeaway from #4 was basically "hook them quickly". I think in terms of busking the "hook" is more important, but something to think about. It is really really easy to notice a sport team shirt and say "I like them too!" or something along those lines though, that would probably help a lot.

[u]6. Consensus[/u]: This is one I'm most excited about trying. My idea for this one is during your hatting, include a line similar to "I love performing in [current city], the people here are always so generous." I bet that has a pretty tangible effect on tips.

Those are my thoughts, add yours!!
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Being in Sales for many, many years, it was always about "getting to yes".

And in Busking, it still is...

Getting them to agree with you, "that was amazing", is a great start. And you can think about it and come up with a ton of other "yes" questions. But don't forget to nod your head in agreement as you ask the questions. People will follow your lead.

One other item about where you are performing, is that you can compliment your audience by dissing their "enemies"(I am in Ohio)... soo.....: You got that one. Didn't you? You know I was in Pittsburgh last week, and they are still trying to figure it out. Do you know why Pennsylvanians have stooped shoulders and a flat forehead? From shrugging when you ask them a question, and then slapping themselves on their forehead when you tell them the answer.

Canadians if you an American. Americans if you are Canadian, and on and on.

Don't be mean spirited in this. For example if you are working a football crowd, basketball fans are a valid target, etc.

I liked the "generous" line. That is giving them an expectation that they will try to live up to.

I might amp it up bit, and link it to the magic you are doing. People "here" (whatever linkage you establish) really know good magic, and know what this would cost you if I was on stage. A ticket for that with magic this good, would cost you 20-30 bucks. But I brought it right out here for you today. So it is only half price. Unless, you want to give more...

Sincerity is important too. They need to feel like they can trust you. So remember these words. Sincerity is important, and if you can't be sincere, FAKE IT!

It is all about relating to them, and having them relate to you.

Make them feel like you hand selected them!

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
An idea that was suggested to me by my local magic dealer is to do the miser's dream with eisenhowers and use a kid assistant. At the end, give the kid one of the dollars.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
This year I am going to work out how to give away several two card monte tricks during my show. I figure these will cost me about $.03 each, will a "business card" sticker on them and should fit right into that reciprocity thing. Increasing tips 23% would be well worth the few pennies each of these costs.

I know I could probably make a better profit pitching them but I really hate pitching magic. I did it for Magic Masters years ago and I would really just rather do my show. It's way more fun for me!
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
DoctorCognos, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject!

Thanks for the replies all, sorry I missed them until now.

I've been working these tips into my busking lately and it may be confirmation bias, but it definitely feels like I'm getting larger returns.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Science of Persuasion: Getting people to say "yes" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL