The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kainoa Harbottle's Penguin lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
It began with a silver finger ring and ended with a silver finger ring.

I'm a little surprised that Kainoa Harbottle's Penguin lecture flew under the radar. It isn't often you get to see a magician with a doctorate in Victorian literature and one of magic's finest exponents of coin magic.

For me the lecture was perfect. He started with a three coin table hopping routine that is very adaptable and, if you can vanish a coin, quite doable.

Also featured was a packet trick. (Incomplete sentence, yes I know Kainoa). Yes, a packet trick. He mentioned 60 percent of the work he performs is with cards.

He taught work on the edge grip, refinements on the finger palm, pendulum hanging coins and a commercial coins across where the spectators hands are used. Twice. He ended with routine that I will not try to describe. Buy the lecture. I plan to use it.

I imagine that Kainoa is an excellent teacher. He managed to slip in some education concerning the influence of the Victorian age on modern magic. During the Q and A, I was a little disturbed by his anecdote concerning a spectator who told him. "You're good. I didn't know magic could be entertaining." If that comment doesn't bother you, it should.

I'll stop now because I'm haunted with the thought that as a teacher Kainoa owns a t-shirt that reads "Mentally I'm editing everything you're saying."I hope I split no infinitives.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Completely agree, this is a little rehash from what I posted in Nothing Up My Sleeve, but I was there live and actually was the one who introduced Kainoa and it was fantastic! Everyone there agreed that it was probably one of the best yet and the best part is that Kainoa really only his the tip of the iceberg with regards to his material (I have been re-reading Coins On Edge, Cointopia, International Deceptions and A Petite Pamphlet On Pasteboards for a while now). I highly recommend anything Kainoa releases and he is a great guy, the hilarity that ensued from the lecture alone is worth the $25 or $30. Thank you Kainoa for coming out for the lecture and sharing with us, but at the same time *** you because your material is too good for EVERYONE to have on deck!

Best Wishes,
-Jakob
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
I believe a lot of magicians are afraid of Kainoa's work and might find the lecture a bit hard for them to do (or at least most of them). Having only a handful of talented coin magicians doing the Penguin Lectures (Roth, Eric Jones, Mike Eaton), this is an easy grab for those who are getting serious with coins.

The lecture is hilarious! He gave a lot of tips on the Edge grip, types of retention passes moving to different hold, lots of subtlety, shuttle passes and false transfers that has his unique touch to it. Some easy and some difficult tricks are also included.

To sum it up, I got more out of this than the other lectures I got. It's all the bits and pieces he had altogether that can surely enhanced my coin magic. That makes it all worth it!
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2205 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
What type of card work was tipped?

thanks

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Magicdahl
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Magicdahl
The reason it flew under the radar was because it was during the AFC Championship game. And in two weeks theres another lecture during the Super Bowl! Are you kidding me? I told Acar he should at least reschedule the Super Bowl lecture for the day before the game. He would get a lot more viewers. I understand we all love magic, but the Super Bowl is the Super Bowl!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2114 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
And some of us would much rather watch a magic lecture than the Super Bowl... Smile
Kevin Reylek
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Hey Alex,

He did "Daley's Conformed Twins", a multi-phased packet trick he said was inspired by a trip he and Curtis Kam took to Las Vegas where they saw legendary Michael Skinner perform.

I won't try to describe it other than to say it involves no gaffed cards other than you use four cards from two different colored back decks. It is modular meaning you can stop it pretty much any where, making it a great opener to gauge an audience and good for restaurant work where you have to play "race the salad".

By the way, the cards are examinable at the end. No you didn't switch them out.

He followed it up with "Like Mike Triumph", a full deck triumph featuring a false shuffle he developed simulating a faro.

Later,

D
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I asked him before the lecture if he was teaching the Like Mike Shuffle...I was not happy, that shuffle is too good for everyone to know! I have been frying with his material for years and it is the main body of work that inspired me to create my own material, even though I now primarily perform mentalism and hypnosis...I love the coins still and can't put them down.

-Jakob
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I'm considering this. Have always wanted to study hid coin work. Most important factor for me is how much usable coin material does he teach for real world strolling?

Can someone post a list of effects taught?
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
If you are a coin guy, this is totally worth it.

~Steve
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea Kainoa is awesome. Might be the best coin guy out there. Hes been a columnist in Reel Magic for over a year and we have a full on Coin beginner coin course ON Demand at Reel Magic.

just sayin...its $5
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
I am very late to the Kainoa Harbottle party. But it will be a lot of fun to catch up!
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Just like Messado got me into linking rings, Kainoa really got me into coin magic. What a lecture!
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Theres also a Kainoa lecture on the Reel Magic ON demand site....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Kainoa Harbottle's Penguin lecture (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL