The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you tell your wife/partner/spouse? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
My wife isn't as interested in magic as I am, but still watches the odd trick patiently. Of course, she then usually wants to know how it's done, but respects it if I don't. All my books are on the shelf if she gets really interested. However, mentalism is a different story. She really wants to know that stuff, not that I do much (yet) - and is interested enough to watch/read for herself Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
I try out most of the new stuff on my wife. I don't tell her the secret but if she figures it out I tell her she is correct. She is much better at figuring them out than I am but that is not saying much as I am not good at figuring out tricks at all.
Xaerius
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Xaerius
I find it hard not to let her know the secrets when I keep practicing on her. Smile

Nigel
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
My wife knows as much magic as I do. She doesn't do magic, but it's helpful because she will occasionally suggest a different sleight or concept that improves my work, and gives me a better understanding of an effect I'm trying to improve. I have someone outside the box, so to speak, that can give me a critical and honest opinion.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Honestly, I think it's fine for your wife. Now your girlfriend of 3 months no, lol. But eventually, if you're married, and make her watch your stuff over and over, she'll catch on anyway.
Mago!
View Profile
New user
Bristol Tennessee
67 Posts

Profile of Mago!
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 23:10, Habbrock wrote:
Once I feel I have a new trick down I show my wife. If she doesn't know how I did it I show her then do it again. If she can see how it's done with or without the knowledge then the trick not ready and I won't perform it. She's my biggest fan and the first to call me out if I flash anything I'm not supposed to. I feel it makes me a better performer.

I'm the same way. Also sleeping on a couch sucks! Hah!

Seriously though, she is my partner in crime, er, well, magic! She knows how 90% of my routines operate, however when I'm performing for friends, mine or hers, or any member of the public. They always seem to turn to her and ask "Does he tell you how this works?!" However, she always calmly replies with the classic "Can you keep a secret?" or even better "No, he doesn't tell me, I like to be in awe and wonderment. If he tells me, it takes the fun out of it for me."
morro3
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of morro3
Quote:
On 2013-07-01 13:46, MartiniMagic wrote:
I try out most of the new stuff on my wife. I don't tell her the secret but if she figures it out I tell her she is correct. She is much better at figuring them out than I am but that is not saying much as I am not good at figuring out tricks at all.

Same exact situation at my house. If she figures it out on her own I simply must tell her that she was correct. If she does so after the first performance I also know that I must practice it some more or change something in the handling Smile

cheers
ssibal
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of ssibal
I don't tell her anything, and she doesn't ask beyond the token "how did you do that?"
John Jerde
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of John Jerde
I tell her everything. She helps me by checking out angles and what not.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
My wife is my video camera. Checking angles and such. I break the golden rule of magic- never perform the same effect twice- for her all the time. I don't tell her how the trick is done. She will try different angels and see if she can catch me. That helps me know my angels and such better. Sometimes she says, "i don't know how you do that, but it looked fishy when you did this". Or she sees some tell in my performance.
When she is close, or burnt out, I'll let her in on the mystery. She has earned that after 100 viewings or so.
Still, there are other effects that I perform where she has no clue how I do it and she prefers to keep the mystery with those.
John Jerde
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of John Jerde
Jctabtree. I like the 100 times idea. Lol.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
806 Posts

Profile of Rook
My wife is the first person to see my newest effects. Sometimes, it's done badly so the secret becomes fairly obvious. Occasionally, she'll want to know how it's done, and yes, I'll tell her.

Most often, however, she asks me not to tell her...especially if she likes the trick. To this day, she remains ignorant of the sleights behind the cups and balls. She wishes to hold on to that sense of wonder.

My youngest daughter, however, is another matter altogether. She's 6 now, but last year, we had this conversation:

"Daddy, will you teach me your magic tricks?"
"I think I should wait until you're a little older for some of these."
"Why?"
"I need to be sure that you can keep the secrets."
"Oh, I can keep secrets! When I break your stuff, I hide it under the couch so you won't get mad!"
"You...what?"
"Never mind."

Then, she left.

I wondered if that was all an act. If so, perhaps I should put her on stage. Looking under the couch, however, dispelled my happy illusion...and located the TV remote in several pieces.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Tenacitiz
View Profile
New user
A pathetic total of
71 Posts

Profile of Tenacitiz
I always use my wife to test new effects by its a huge challenge to entertain her with them. Se doesn't ask how things are done but will be able to wrk out 90% of what she sees anyway. If she can't she holds on to that mystery happily. In fact she's always commenting on how I've ruined magic for her forever. A few weeks ago we having a meal at a New York themed restaurant and they had a table magician. He performed a great little set and I really enjoyed it but I could see his confusion when she simply smiled at having a handful of sponge bunnies. If you do it you'll know what a reaction this gets. Don't get me wrong she was a great spectator and helped everywhere required but I felt a profound sadness watchingher at the simple fact that my love of magic has eroded her sense of childlike wonder.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
806 Posts

Profile of Rook
Yeah, my "test audience" consists of my wife, who is very good at constructively critiquing my performance, while often playing the role of "nightmare volunteer" (you know the one that seeks to foul your equivoque)

My son (18) whose Asperger's provides the unique perspective of not being easily entertained by interaction, but loves to work out puzzles. If he enjoys an effect, it's a probably a winner.

My youngest daughter (6) who gives me the experience of what it might be like to perform the effect in front of energetic youngsters.

My Oldest daughter and her husband, who give me the perspective of people who simply enjoy magic.

If they all like the effect, not only is it a winner, but a contender.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Revel Rob
View Profile
New user
Toronto
50 Posts

Profile of Revel Rob
At the beginning, she begged and begged to know the secrets, so I explained a few simple ones but only 1 every week or so and only if she asked.
Before explaining the first one, I told her that I can't erase her memory so as to explain that the sense of wonderment surrounding that 1 trick would be lost forever once she knew the secret.
She understood that right away and now tries to either figure them out for herself by watching many times as I perform for many different spectators, or until she can't take it anymore and begs again. I do then explain because I remember that although the feeling of amazement is a good one, there is that little bit of "ARGHH!!! WHY DOES IT HURT MY HEAD!?" that a layperson can cure with time (they only see it once and eventually forget about it), but a wife/gf can't because they are constantly reminded of the trick by always seeing it performed.
Mentalism is a different story in my opinion because my presentation of a mentalism effect is that I read "tells" and can know what a person is thinking by merely asking them some questions and knowing what the answers are without them actually saying anything. At first, it was fun making her think that she couldn't lie to me about anything because I would be able to tell, but after a few months, I revealed to her that there was always a "trick" with them by explaining some simple concepts. I may not want her to lie to me, but I do want her to feel like she has the freedom to do so if she wanted to.
heybobby08
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
54 Posts

Profile of heybobby08
I usually practice the trick for my better half. She has yet to ask me how I have done of the the tricks I have done, but if she ever does I will most likely tell her indirectly, or just show the trick again and see if she can figure it out. She enjoys trying to solve problems though
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
My wife helps my magic. She forces me to find new ways to make delivered packages disappear before she notices they
have arrived. She also wonders why I insist on paying the credit card bill every month.
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
122 Posts

Profile of Eldini
I don't tell my wife but I do show her things when I feel they are ready. She has been a good sport about being honest if the move needs work.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
My wife doesn't want to know how I do the effects. She wants to keep her wonder.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
My wife has gotten more easy going of late. She used to want to know the secrets involved. But then she realized that many of the secrets are in fact kind of dumb and knowing them detracted from the enjoyment of the trick. I do practice with her and try stuff out on her, so she eventually figures it out anyways.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you tell your wife/partner/spouse? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL