The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dan Harlan Penguin Live January 16, 2013 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Pulled these quotes from another thread, just in case anyone missed what I did:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3173
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 15:38, RSchlutz wrote:
Fantastic lecture Dan! This is the first lecture I seen you do and I loved it. I have watched some of your older VHS tapes but what a treat this lecture was.
I did your all seeing eye effect on my fiancé, who after 10 years of seeing my effects has seen enough. But after convincer her this one was different it blew her mind. I haven't seen her be that amazed in so long. That trick alone was worth it but you gave away so much more.
And I agree that watching you perform was also a great learning treat.
Thanks again!
Ryan

Quote:
On 2013-01-22 14:00, Dan McLean wrote:
I'm 63 so I like to challenge my memory. Let me see if I can remember what you performed without rechecking.
By the way, it was a fantastic lecture. And one you had to put together at the past minute.

Any Card at Any Number.
Restored Rubber Band .
Shrinking Rubber Band.
Snorting Rubber Band.
Linking Colored Rubber Bands.
Bill Penetration Through Rubber Band.
Out of The World.
Paper Match Restore.
Two Card Triumph.
Business Card Peek.
Two Bottom Deal Routines - one based on a Vernon routine.
And believe you performed your marketed necklace routine (which I must get!) and Stashed (which I have.)

You didn't explain the torn and restored match or your last effect, the impossible location.
How'd I do? Bet I'm close on this. Just don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday. I really can't remember.
Later,
D
P.S. You also explained the reasons behind your "interesting" look. You are a clever man.

Thanks, Ryan, I'm particularly proud of "The All-Seeing Eyeball of Truth." Also, Dan, you were very close to remembering everything... I also did a couple of things with sugar and something with Ben's Mother. I'm off to dinner now, but I'll be back later to discuss more!
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
While we're waiting for Dan, I've got a few more comments.

The business card peek. Surprised you gave that one up, Dan. I agree with RSchlutz. It's "money in the bank", especially since I lean to mentalism these days.

Rubber bands. I used to hate them. Then I realized people love them. And if you're working a street crowd, there's always a risk of someone running off with your props. If it's rubber bands, who cares. By the way, I don't remember if you taught the second part of your linking rubber band routine. Very nice convincer.

Out of this World. I remember reading that a magician worked table to table doing only that trick. I had my doubts but your bits convinced me otherwise. Think I'll make it my go to trick for awhile.

Torn and restored paper match. I have a very early tape of you doing that. Impromptu 1, I think. (I was much younger then.) The patter makes it. Problem for me is I'm not always in a situation where I can do the necessary move(s). I'll have to think about that one. Must be a way. Too good not to do.

That small touch on snorting the rubber band makes all the difference. I was getting busted on it so I stopped. Just did it at Starbucks. It's back in my on the spot set.

Normally I don't post that much on The Café these days but your lecture made me happy. Happy to see you working and obviously in a good spot in your life. And happy to get so much real world material.

Thanks again, sir.

D
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Markymark
It sounds very good.Is the 'Out of this World' based on a version most of us would know?
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4292 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 19:33, Markymark wrote:
It sounds very good.Is the 'Out of this World' based on a version most of us would know?

I believe it's based off the U.F. Grant version. Dan Harlan puts his touches on it to get every moment possible out of the routine. This was the best lecture I've seen so far. He has a great on-screen personality.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Thank's.That's a good one with a shuffled deck.There is a nice OOTW in the new Jim Steinmeyer booklet 'Let me give you some awful advice'
It is a bit like 'Galaxy' by Paul Harris and Wyman Jones.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1066 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I love Galaxy and have been doing it for 18 years.

Saw Greg Rostami's take on OOTW in his Penguin lecture and thought... okay, that's better.

Now, it looks like Dan offers yet another OOTW!

Haven't watched this latest Harlan lecture yet, but am very much looking forward to it.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
483 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Dans offers great touches that sells OOTW better than I seen by others.

Ryan
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5320 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I missed this lecture. I have Dan's first Penguin lecture; now I must get this one as a download.

Jim
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
As a Penguin Live subscriber (a terrific deal in magic), I've got both of Dan's lectures. While I enjoyed the first one, as a mostly close-up performer I found a lot more useful (to me) material in his second one. Definitely worth the purchase! Thanks, Dan, for stepping in and doing such a good job on such short notice.
Cardmagicdavid
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Cardmagicdavid
This looks like a great lecture , I'm interested in OOTW , probably my favourite effect to perform .
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Sorry I didn't come right back... dinner was that good!

Since most comments are currently about OOTW, let's start there. I too have performed many variations of this wonderful premise, but none more often than U.F.Grant's... with all of my additions and touches. I prefer this method since all of my preparation is in my head and I can use any deck and get the same awesome result. My belief, when confronted with a process-heavy routine like OOTW, is to find a way to make the process interesting and use it to reinforce the impossibility of the outcome. Also, I think I've done a pretty good job justifying the required color switch of the indicators halfway through... even turning that into an effect. If you love OOTW, you'll definitely enjoy what I've done with it.

The business card peek (aka The All-Seeing Eyeball of Truth) is something I'm particularly proud of. I've studied a lot of peeks, tears, switches, and impressions and I've never seen anything like it before. Of course, if I’ve reinvented the wheel I’m sure someone will tell me! It is most closely related to some of Al Baker’s work with a touch of Annemann. I just love that the eyeball allows me to openly take a good long look at what the spectator has written even though they are holding it tightly in their closed fist! Also, I forgot to mention (during the lecture) that this method automatically resets, but you’ve probably noticed that if you’ve been doing it.

Rubber bands: I didn’t teach the “convincer” during the second part of the linking, but it’s pretty easy to figure out if you work with r-bands a lot… it’s pretty much just acting.

The torn and restored paper match is Mark Sicher’s “Perfect Match” (based on Slydini’s cigarette routine) which was originally published in The Minotaur and it is on Volume 1 of my Ultimate Impromptu from L&L (if you want to learn it). I intended to teach it, but time got away from me. It’s another one of my “go to” routines. I used to work a lot of walk-around gigs with nothing but r-bands, cocktail napkins, and matches!
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Rogerstatonmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Rogerstatonmagic
Such a great lecture..just wish he would have tipped more on that acaan
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 12:54, Rogerstatonmagic wrote:
Such a great lecture..just wish he would have tipped more on that acaan

Then you missed the hint Smile Go and rewatch the lecture!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4292 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
He pretty much taught the entire ACAAN. Went over what happened and the out.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I did pretty much teach ACAAN without giving the specifics of how I did it, because you'd be unlikely to use my exact method (and, no, it's not "luck!"). As I said, for ACAAN all you have to do is get the right card to the right number! In my case, I actually don't know what the card is or what the number is... so there's a small amount of risk involved, hence the "out" that I showed. If you're any good with cards, you should be able to come up with many solutions that appear to be Sangreal.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1136 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Dan - you said in the lecture that you don't know the card or number beforehand and it worked every time. So I think you did not teach it. You taught an out that I didn't like but not your first method (which I did like even though I don't know what you did). If I see you at Magi Fest I will bug you until you teach me!
Lakewood, Ohio
Rogerstatonmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Rogerstatonmagic
Yea unless I'm missing something I only saw the out taught
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JCheng
I think Dan just got lucky. And he mentioned that it works 100% of the times because there is an out. However, I think he didn't say that 100% of the times will look like that.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Dan wasn't relying on luck, he even said so. He is brilliant with words and has lead people down the garden path.Smile
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Okay, to set the record straight, I did not get lucky! That's my fault for joking around about it. Honestly, I had mixed emotions about starting off my set with my ACAAN(AAT) since I know it's not for everybody, but I had to put together something quickly and it just happens to be what I'm currently doing. Also, I knew it would get everyone's attention and I'm proud of it. So, instead of teaching you my exact method (which you are unlikely to use), I opted to teach you about ACAAN in general and give you all of the tools to build your own. I also gave up quite a few other gems I've been holding back (All-Seeing, OOTW, Poker Deal Kicker) so I hope you're not too disappointed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97TsVDC1BY
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dan Harlan Penguin Live January 16, 2013 (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL