The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Americano en Europa (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I've been kind of quiet lately. I started out on my journey with a load full of books to read.
I have gradually left each of them on a train, hotel rooms, public restroom, restaurant, park bench,
as I finished them or grew bored of the author's ramblings. So I haven't had much time to read or post
here. I realized that I wasn't on the road to read, but to experience and create new memories.

Lots of folks stare at me or perhaps I'm overly self-conscious, as I mutter to myself or stare at
what they might consider mundane. To me it is all new in many regards. I won't ever visit some of
these places, so I take as much in as possible.

I liken my travels to a pilgrimage or perhaps I'm just trying to runaway from my feelings?
The more folks tried to tell me NOT to leave for a year, the more committed I was to leave.

A quest for enlightenment akin to Buddah? Nope! A carefree life, whilst satiating my gastric desire for
European cuisine is more likely, however expensive (20 US dollars for a cheap horrible tasting beer, not
to mention the pubs close at 9:30pm in Norway).

Truthfully it doesn't matter, for it's not quite as glamorous as it may sound, especially when I had to
sleep outdoors with folks who are less fortunate than I financially and perhaps mentally.

I don't always even know where I'm headed, but that's okay. It's all getting better because, at least I
don't have to carry as many books around!

Forever yours,
el perdido
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I'm there with you in spirit, brother.

And I'm going through the same exact things. I understand your headspace. Only difference is I'm not travelling.
In some ways, I think that would make things worse, in some better.

I envy you being able to take the time for yourself.

If you need anything, hermano, you know where to find me.

My heart is with you.

Via Con Dios, my friend.

~Christophe'
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
You both are in my continued thoughts and prayers, and I sincerely hope that you are both doing well, staying safe and having the fortune of gaining enlightment and insight where it is needed most.

Stay safe, be well and carry the magic!
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Thanks for dropping by, wishing your journey a safe one.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Good to hear from you as always Devious, and you as well Chris. I have said it before and I will say it again. It is a scientific theory that matter and energy are never created or destroyed but simply changes from one form to the other. I won't go into explaining scientific theory but this theory is as solid as gravity. I am not at all a religious person, I actually despise organized religion but I am very spiritual. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell but I do believe that the energy that makes up people is never lost, only transformed. When we leave our mortal coil our energy is released. It is here in the universe and so we are never really gone. I always think of this when I lose a loved one and start to dwell on life and death and the fears that come with that. It always helps me and I hope it can help both of you as process and cope during this difficult time.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
In the spirit of satiating gastric desires.....

For good beer go to Belgium. For lager go to Germany (Naturlich) or Czech lager is also good (e.g.Budvar also called Czech Budweiser) for ales the UK is good, very different to Belgian but nice. I would really REALLY recommend the Alistair Sawday books.....excellent travel guides listing out of the way places that are a little bit more interesting and with excellent food. He has a website so you can leave the books at home.

Should you find yourself in Basel (Switzerland) the Walliser Kanne does very good Swiss food.
In Venice go to Il Paradiso - go over the Rialto bridge as if going towards the fish market. Turn left along the Canale Grande and it is about the third of the side streets on the right. Ignore the tourist menu, put yourself in the hands of the maitre d' and enjoy!
For English food....well if you are in England near Guildford and I am available I will take you to a country pub...we can walk the dogs. dannyjurmann@googlemail.com

Best wishes

Danny
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I am very happy to hear from you once again, I think about you a lot and feel for what you are going through due to my cancer journey. And yes - Cancer Sucks and recovery ain't much better at times I am slowly finding out.

I hope your vacation/journey/pilgrimage helps you to clear your mind a bit and eases the pain of your loss that I can't even begin to fathom. Please keep in touch and post when you can so we know you are ok anyway.

As for the beer choices on your journey - "I don't always drink and perform magic, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friend" Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Also remember Chris, pm me if you need my number again, I am Always available to talk my friend. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thank you Apache Junction Christophe, Atlanta Christophe, Alan, Danny, Poof Daddy, and
of course Dr Joaquin Ayala!I Miss you guys immensely!

Winter and Paris in one word, "Grey"! Lots of grey in various shades. You can be colour blind
here during the winter and still be okay because of the grey. The men and women also wear drab
coloured clothing to compliment the lovely grey.

Looking for a place to stay because I don't usually like to make reservations, I accidentally
crashed a wedding reception, I don't think they minded too much and the food looked delish, but
I didn't want to get arrested on my first day.

Champagne and truffles? Not if I want to be able to eat every day.
Try 40 USD for a decent risotto and around 9 bucks for a hot chocolate to go along with your 20 dollar
slice of baumkuchen "tree cake" yummy! The outside looks like a tree trunk and the inside is a yummy
growth ring filled center of sorts. Note to self, I must learn to make Baumkuchen Cake.

I discouvered The Carrefour generic brand choices available at the market. I ate toothpaste on my first night
because I arrived too late to order anything. The following night after a grocery stop, I made my way out into
the hallway and found some Spaniards drinking gallons of Sangria in their room. I heard spanish music and so
I wasn't too embarrassed to knock. I figured, "Let me party too or I'm calling security!" An Asian-Australian
guy kept following me around because he loved magic and Bon Jovi. Go figure?

Note to self,
Do Not, I repeat DO NOT, give your coins to the throngs of beggars near the metro who try to speak various languages.
You will find yourself having to beg for coins when you discouver that you are short of them for the next hop.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
The guys at the magic shop that use to be on George Bernard Shaw Blvd. were really nice. Stop by Devious and say hello (if they are still there-it has been over 5 years ago).

Take your time. Enjoy the city. Paris is one of my favorite cities in the world...gray and all.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Ahhhh yes, old Paris...I love getting outside of Paris but nevertheless, it is one of my favorite cities as well at any time of year - of course I did spend a few years in school and apprenticeships there...try checking out Le Lapin Agile in Montmartre - delightful place to hang out!

Glad to hear you are well hermano!
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey friend,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Americano en Europa (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL