The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Paul Brook's NIX4? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 16:55, cheeky wrote:
Cant find any release date on Pauls site, when does it ship out?

Once he has sold enough pre orders to fund the project !
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3006 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Good news guys...the release date is close...
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Oh that's just mean, the release date is close, what a vague statement

MEAN
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
I thinks the part that appeals to me the most is that NIX4 has sixteen moments of amazement. Just what I have been looking for.

Franklin
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Only 16? Pah. I demand at least 18...

Order in...
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11492 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-02-03 09:15, The Paranormalist wrote:
I thinks the part that appeals to me the most is that NIX4 has sixteen moments of amazement. Just what I have been looking for.

Franklin

An old girlfriend said that to me once. Not bragging but ....
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
[/quote]

[/quote]

But did she fulfil her promise? LOL
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084

16 ey... those were the days
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3996 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Good news for who?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1614 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 02:39, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 16:55, cheeky wrote:
Cant find any release date on Pauls site, when does it ship out?

Once he has sold enough pre orders to fund the project !

Nope.

The book wasn't even announced until all the writing was done and final editing changes made. I have talked a long time with PB about the development and delivery of NIX4 and I know that before opening the pre-order he had already invested a significant amount of time and money on it (he hired me in my professional capacity as a technical illustrator to produce the internal artwork for the books at my industry rate, a cost which I know would make the eyes of most magic book producers pop). My understanding is that what is currently happening is delivery of the final production proof and then providing all is well, presumably, PB will press go [BUT DON'T HOLD ME TO THAT!].

Paul is a pal of mine but it was clear from the beginning that he wanted this handled as a full commercial project, not as a mate or a favour. I got a text draft to work with which had extensive editing notes on it - whoever handled that for him has done a very comprehensive job. He is printing it with the assistance of a high grade printer in the UK. If there are any delays at this point it is because Paul is an exacting client (unfortunately for me) and wants everything to be right, more so with a limited release like this than on anything else (this is the impression I got at least!).

Paul isn't one of the guys who hypes, waits for the money and then bungs out a duff manuscript. NIX4 has been cooking for a long time even before I came in on it last year and I hope you guys think it is worth the wait.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
992 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Phill.. How many drawings in total? Will Paul let you post your fav one as a "sneak peak?"
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1614 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
There are around 75 I think, although a few of them are just of envelopes or the like so useful for visualising the effect but not terribly artistic. The effect isn't really technically demanding but it does require good blocking and you have to really understand the flow of it - we talked a long time about how to best show it on the page so everyone will understand.

Probably my favourite is this sequence that shows the optimal way to fold up and tear off a piece of paper from a pad. It isn't a magic technique in any way, but Paul was insistent that it was THE BEST WAY to do it (?!). We shot a whole load of photos to explore how to show it and I kept asking "Er, you're SURE you want me to draw all these steps?"

Pretty much everything is explained in this detail.

Click here to view attached image.

timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
119 Posts

Profile of timlic
For me, Paul is a great thinker and therefore I didn't hesitate to get in on this; Especially if there's only 200 made.

Looking forward to receiving mine.
Atticus R. Cane
View Profile
Regular user
since Mar 15, 2007 and still only
181 Posts

Profile of Atticus R. Cane
I think I figured out how it's done.

I can't say much on an open forum, but I do believe it involves the monkey from Mind, Myth, and Magick.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
992 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 17:49, phillsmiff wrote:

Probably my favourite is this sequence that shows the optimal way to fold up and tear off a piece of paper from a pad. It isn't a magic technique in any way, but Paul was insistent that it was THE BEST WAY to do it (?!). We shot a whole load of photos to explore how to show it and I kept asking "Er, you're SURE you want me to draw all these steps?"

Pretty much everything is explained in this detail.

Having reviewed the drawing... I concur with Paul.... He has stumbled upon the best way to tear paper from a pad.

On a separate note.... Having read the description a couple of times I take it this routine can't be split into pieces to be woven in amongst a bigger set.

Any chance of a front cover peak?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
There's a monkey in mind myth magick??? I'll have to reread it.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1240 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
So glad I don't live in the rue morgue...

Quote:
On 2013-02-05 10:53, Atticus R. Cane wrote:
I think I figured out how it's done.

I can't say much on an open forum, but I do believe it involves the monkey from Mind, Myth, and Magick.
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 10:34, parmenion wrote:
Good news for who?

Doth protest too much
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1614 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
The cover is pretty much the same as the one on the NIX4 site http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/heknows/nix4.html but with some minor alignment changes that no normal human will ever see.

I did make sure that the first load of proofs I sent him had his name as Paul Brookes, because he loves that and I am a super good friend ;-)
There are some additional chapter heading bits and pieces that are pretty cool, and a few little flourishes here and there, but that is it. It should be good, I know a lot of work has gone into it (Mainly from PB himself). I saw him perform it at a private gig in 2011 after what I think was already a long period of development - we have discussed it a fair bit since then so he has been working it and working on it since then at least.

Phill

cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Still waitin ....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Paul Brook's NIX4? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL