The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Salt & Silver by Giovanni Livera (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Great routine. Worth the money and work. If you like card under glass this is a Coin equal

Robert
SPONGE KONG
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of SPONGE KONG
I started work on this fabulous routine today, so please to have such a well planned out idea of slights,vanishes and appearances !! The misdirection is great which all levels of magicians I'm sure can learn something from. I love Coin Across plots in fact it's one of my favorite effects which I perform everytime I have the coins with me but Salt & Pepper gives a new fresh feel to a similar concept. In my small opinion this routine is worth the money by far as I'm sure you could grab the attention of bookings from performing a fantastic routine like this which will shadow the cost of the DVD . As like most of you I have looked at hundreds of coin routines which are great but maybe something's missing or doesn't fit my style and so on but Salt & Silver will be something that I will perform for many years to come.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 17:54, Gary Kosnitzky wrote:
I am curious to why the Demo Video does not show you anything magical occuring,only non-magical bits and pieces. Does anyone have a video of this effect?

This is one of my pet peeves lately in promo videos. Why do they make it difficult to visualize what the effect will look like? I do not get impressed by bad camera angles and blurry images. What I can gather, it seems like a great idea, but the promo doesn't sell me. I am interested in it because the premise seems looks it will good.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Quote:
On 2013-02-05 21:28, mtpascoe wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-27 17:54, Gary Kosnitzky wrote:
I am curious to why the Demo Video does not show you anything magical occuring,only non-magical bits and pieces. Does anyone have a video of this effect?

This is one of my pet peeves lately in promo videos. Why do they make it difficult to visualize what the effect will look like? I do not get impressed by bad camera angles and blurry images. What I can gather, it seems like a great idea, but the promo doesn't sell me. I am interested in it because the premise seems looks it will good.

Quote:
On 2013-01-27 22:24, RMoreland wrote:
Well if they posted a full length video of the routine it would be a bit too easy for someone to reverse engineer after multiple viewings. So you will not find any authorized full length performances online. However if you doubt the routines potency, rest assured it is dynamite .

mtpascoe, perhaps this explains it. Seems to me to be a reasonable rationale.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I understand, but I would have prefered a written ad explaining all that can be done and not assume that potential buyers already know what the routine is suppose to do.
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
466 Posts

Profile of martysh
Do you do this silently to music or to no music or does it involve interaction with spectator

Marty
RMoreland
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
174 Posts

Profile of RMoreland
Blast from the past... How have you been Marty? The routine is for the most part a silent peice. But if you wanted to write a script for it, that would be very possible. I personally think the routine plays better without patter, but it is up to the performer.
RMoreland
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
174 Posts

Profile of RMoreland
Quote:
On 2013-01-24 11:15, RMoreland wrote:
Giovanni Lavera is a Legend in the magic underground. Anyone who witnesses his performance will admit the man is a class act. He fools you consistently, but you don’t mind because his warm Cheshire cat smile completely disarms you and pulls you into his world only to return you safely at the end. He is a sparkling example of what every magician should strive to be. When observing his magic there is no ego, no insults to your intelligence, or vanity, there is only an adventure for your mind that he orchestrates.
Salt and silver is a delicious sample from the menu of this master chef of Legerdemain. The DVD is like a dream that you can repeat. With an ambient piano score creating a dream like state, Giovanni gives you the inside scoop on an award winning routine. As part of the act that won him the Gold Cups, Salt and silver is a multi-phased dance of misdirection, sound, and magic. Inspired by the Legendary Albert Goshman‘s coins under salt shaker routine. Gio has certainly taken this to the next level. On a theoretical note an effect like this always runs the danger of becoming a challenge to your audience; this can cause a catch me if you can type of vibe which from my experience is less that desirable. Gio has made it less a game of cat and mouse between you and your spectators, and more an assault on your senses. The routine is for the most part a silent piece making it perfect for a musical performance. Gio’s presentation creates the impression that he is just a surprised as you are by the things that are happening. The routine follows classic theatrics, occurring in 3 acts (or phases as they are referred to in the Scene selection of the DVD menu) and a strong finale. In an effort not to ruin the impact, the phases will not be described here, but suffice it to say it’s hard to tell where the coins are going to end up. Gio’s use of framing and misdirection are extremely compelling. Even after multiple viewing I still find myself being reeled in by his hypnotic misdirection. There are 3 inspiring performances of the routine on the DVD; one for you at home, another for a seated 2 set, and a third for a parlor group at world famous “Magic Castle”. So for those of you who buy DVDs for the performances, your cup is sure to be filled.

If you are a student of Sleight of Hand have no fear. There is plenty here to push and challenge you so that your chops will become stronger. But more over dexterity you will get some wonderful theatrical training. You will learn framing and body turning. Some wonderful blocking technique is covered as well. The lessons taught on misdirection, will follow you into other routines that you may be performing and mold you into a much more elusive performer. The use of pausing to create tension that is apparent in the performances will help you create stronger moments for your audiences. Timing and rhythm and so on will all be sharpened by a study of this work. This is most definitely a worthy addition to any serious student’s library.
To close I would like to say that as magicians it is our responsibility to perpetuate the art, to move it in positive directions. Giovanni has just dropped a precious pebble into the sea of magic that is being released, and I can only assume that the rings this pebble will inspire will create a title wave that will engulf the magic world and make it a better place. To Giovanni Livera and The Magic Estate, Thank you for this New Year’s gift.

Here is a review I wrote for it in another thread. Hope this sheds a little light on the routine without revealing too much.
RMoreland
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
174 Posts

Profile of RMoreland
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 02:31, mtpascoe wrote:
I understand, but I would have prefered a written ad explaining all that can be done and not assume that potential buyers already know what the routine is suppose to do.

Here is the Wizard product review. It was a very favorable review, and may shed a bit more light on the details for you. Sorry if this does not help. Putting a trailer together for this routine was very challenging because the routine is heavily based on misdirection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Han3TtrGxFE
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 10:46, RMoreland wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 02:31, mtpascoe wrote:

Here is the Wizard product review. It was a very favorable review, and may shed a bit more light on the details for you. Sorry if this does not help. Putting a trailer together for this routine was very challenging because the routine is heavily based on misdirection.

I understand. Thanks for the reply. It sounds like something Al Goshman would have loved. I will have to check it out.
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
466 Posts

Profile of martysh
Well I am going after this big time....I think I found the right music for me... Randy Newman's .. "it's money that I want".... it's about the right length.. has an attitude to it... and if I can time it has a very quiet moment to close that would gently and ironically help me show the trick's finish... I have had this music awhile searching for the right effect.....now why am I writing this to you all? because I had some of the words blanked out in the song so as not to offend the possibly more sensitive viewers...it is the South down here after all. This could give a dramatic but subtle touch to the routine.... I think it is going to play fine.

thanks for your help

Marty

Hi Rob - "still here after all these years"!
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1087 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Thanks for sharing the track.
Its yours to perform and I just would like to point out
that its fine song! Good thoughts you've put in here!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
: applause : for the the idea and the progression from Al Goshman's approach but with the same rigorous misdirection approach
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hey Marty - you sure you're not talking about The Beatles for your song title? Randy Newman does a song about money but it's kinda folksy. The Beatles song seems a better fit to me (Money - That's What I Want).

Doug
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
466 Posts

Profile of martysh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ_4ss9v7Z4

this is a young Randy N singing the song... the version I have is an older RM singing with much more attitude... the pacing the speed the understatement of this music is so perfect for this trick and the way the song lightly lands is perfect for the dramatic irony of the big ending of this trick... the length of the song is almost perfect too.

the Beatles song has promise but it is a bit loud a bit hard edged a bit strong for the gentle plot of salt and silver...

and quietly in truth "it's money that I love" has me subtly cynically and really sarcastically making a statement of the value of money... It's almost an essay a statement that will probably fly over the heads of all the spectators... Ok so I am in another world... but I think all things considered this is so suitable for a multi layered effect.. will launch if probably next Saturday will let you all know how it plays... I know I am reading way too much into this music magic combination but right now I am.....having so much fun with it.

Marty

( am thinking of playing "Mary had a little Lamb " for Doug Brewer's "Right Handed Coins" (how's that for a ...........................mismatch!!!!) If you guys don't know this trick you are at a loss.I know you know the song!
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Haha, thanks for the plug, Marty.

BTW, I did finally get this DVD and it's great. Very well taught and great camera angles to learn all the moves. Easily adaptable to "make it your own". Giovanni comes across more corporate now, but there are little inklings of the craziness I saw in a younger Gio years ago. Glad to see he's putting out some of his material (he was a IBM Gold Cups Winner). His shell game is killer - KILLER.

Doug
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Question -- does this effect require a classic palm, or can it be done with a finger palm and/or thumb palm?

From what little I can see on the video demo, it looks like classic is needed, but I thought I would ask anyway. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Damian
In the aforementioned write-up in Genii, it includes 3 coins in C.P.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks -- I was afraid of that! The CP is one coin sleight I have not yet mastered (but not for lack of trying). SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 21:01, sethb wrote:
Thanks -- I was afraid of that! The CP is one coin sleight I have not yet mastered (but not for lack of trying). SETH

John Ramsey couldn't classic palm and he was a miracle worker with coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Salt & Silver by Giovanni Livera (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL