The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Salt & Silver by Giovanni Livera (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
That's true. But he would have a tough time doing the Goshman salt shaker routine or this new variation, which seems to require a CP.

As for me, I do a pretty credible Miser's Dream with just thumb and finger palms. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
sleightlee
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of sleightlee
I seldom post but I feel compelled to say; I picked this up from my local dealer today and it is superb.

From a sleights point of view I learned nothing at all new, except for the fact a sleight that I came up with happens to be around already with a slightly different start position and reveal (The FP ditch and production sequence). so you might assume therefore; I've just paid forty something pounds to learn nothing, not the case at all.

This DVD, wether you know the sleights or not, is exceptional.

I, for one, will be using this. Albeit with a squeaky shaker and not a salty one.

To add a little sentiment, people should buy this simply as a show of gratitude to Giovanni Livera for releasing such a gem, this is clearly a routine that is very dear to him personally and rightly so; it's top class and it ticks all the wonderful magic boxes we all know and love.

I'll be using this for years to come and I'm very very glad I bought it.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
Mine's for sale if anyone's interested?
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Has anyone found a good internet source for the bar napkins used in the routine?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I just use a standard cloth napkin. Doesn't require anything special.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
fishmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of fishmagic
How much set up does this require? Can I perform it strolling and at restaurants?
Assuming a suitable table surface can I just take out the napkin and shaker and
begin performing the routine?
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Damian
Fishmagic,

You take out the napkin and shaker (and knife) and begin performing, yes. No special preparation is necessary-nothing that isn't done in front of your audience. Yes, it can be performed strolling, in a restaurant.
Fabian99
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Fabian99
It really is a great routine and I can just recommend it to any coin man it covers so much :misdirection and the structure of this rouitne why is the structure like this and so long and so long....
fishmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of fishmagic
Damian,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to buy it.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Damian
Fishmagic,

I highly recommend it. However, prepare to spend quite a long time learning the routine (months, at least, maybe quite a few), before you'll feel comfortable dropping it into your strolling repertoire.
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
I saw this routine performed live at Magic Live by Giovanni Livera, although I was not fooled due to the bad angle, the misdirection and slickness of the routine was amazing.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2013, itlust wrote:
I honestly think this is too expensive Smile

I agree that its a tad high. But I don't mind the price tag on this effect for the lessons thaught... Its a simple effect with high demand on misdirection and learning to develop character. And just high enough to turn away enthusiasts but low enough for workers and dedicated hobyist.
Andrew Davis
View Profile
Regular user
Longmont, CO
120 Posts

Profile of Andrew Davis
Guys,

Salt and Silver is our Deal of the Month for April.
As written above, this is a very solid lesson on misdirection and sleight - and certainly worth the $50 price tag, if not more.

You will have to follow the link to see the price, but I will tell you that you don't want to miss this one.

http://www.magicandsuch.com/product/salt......-livera/

Feel free to share it around. It's available until the month is over, or until we run out - which ever comes first.

-Andrew
Owner, Magic and Such
Owner, Magic and Such - http://www.MagicAndSuch.com
Check out our monthly special exclusively for Cafe Members!
http://www.MagicAndSuch.com/Magic-Cafe-Members/
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WOW is this price serious Andrew?
Andrew Davis
View Profile
Regular user
Longmont, CO
120 Posts

Profile of Andrew Davis
It is - I was able to work out a great deal on these to offer them as my item of the month.

I didn't want the price to lessen the routine in any way, but also believe this is one that everyone should have.

Classic stuff.
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
I just got this from Andrew and can't wait to start practicing the routine. Not only good sleights but a real lesson in misdirection that could be used with cups and balls or other closeup routines. For those of you who perform this routine, any issue with the salt going everywhere? Seems kind of messy!
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22648 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I received mine today, and was surprised at how simple and easy this will be to learn for experienced coin workers. New to coin magic, then not so much.

I was surprised that there was not special teaching section on the retention vanish. This vanish is really new in magic only going back to the late 1970's. I think I 1st heard about it being done by Richard Roth. Since then there has been other variations on this sleight, and none are totally the same. The simplest is similar to the sponge ball move, in my opinion.

Then there is no discussion as to why the misdirection works, or why it is done at the times it is needed. Misdirection is not really even pointed out, as being used by Giovanni. Thus, the purchaser just has to assume the routine works because it works, and they will have to learn it copying every move and gesture Giovanni uses, whether it is your "style" or not, initially. His misdirection is so strong, that even on a video, you are fooled an looking in the wrong or right place, depending on your reason for viewing the routine. Would like to know if he analyzed why or how the chose his movements, even stepping away, which seems gutsy, but it works.

I was concerned with all the tossing of the salt about as well, some household wives can get very upset at things like this. After watching the video, none of the salt pouring is really an intricate part of the routine. Just using acting as in Albert Goshman's routine would be work as well. Salt is a corrosive material, and damage brass and many polished wood floors, eating into the surfaces. I let a little salt set on a brass bowl once, shook out the salt, and set the bowl aside. Several weeks alter, I went to use the bowl and it was badly pitted, eaten where even the slightest about of salt dust (not visible) was left behind.

The $50 price was way over prices for this DVD as is, with so much missing to the beginner and intermediate magician. At the $14.50 plus $2 postage, it is priced perfect, as it see it as an incomplete learning DVD, and only good for knowledgeable coin workers.

Finally, the DVD is made very professionally, and the quality is excellent.

I recommend every experienced coin worker to jump on this and get it, as it will be an easy addition to your show material. I for one like this kind of "card under glass" magic presentation. It makes performing magic even more fun.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
687 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Thanks for your review Bill.
Andrew Davis
View Profile
Regular user
Longmont, CO
120 Posts

Profile of Andrew Davis
Guys,

Half way through the month - and a bunch of you now have this routine.

We still have some of these left at our special pricing for the month.
http://www.magicandsuch.com/product/salt......-livera/

Price will go back to $50 at the end of the month.
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Does anyone know where the "over and under" coin vanish is described?
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Salt & Silver by Giovanni Livera (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL