The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Difference Between Mentalism and Mental Magic (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, Jeff Wassom wrote:
Zach invest 20+ years in something first before asking 'what's the big deal?' lol

I'll get back to you 20 years from now.

My fault for thinking you were interested in learning something from these good folks.

Nevermind. =)
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
Quote:
Zach invest 20+ years in something first before asking 'what's the big deal?' lol

I'll get back to you 20 years from now.

My fault for thinking you were interested in learning something from these good folks.

Nevermind. =)

Did you just think I was just posting to be annoying?
Reality is a real killjoy.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Zach, I'm sorry but you don't get it. That was my point earlier, is that when you think you do, you will stop being open to the things that will eventually allow you to actually start to get it.

Statements like "I get it. Magic and mentalism is very different from each other. But when it comes down to it, it is all an illusion. The difference is that mentalism is real seeming, while magic is obviously a trick" and "the only difference between mentalism, and mental magic is the performance" is not just incorrect, but to others it shows your ignorance (not meant as a slam or as in being stupid, but as in being new, uneducated and uninformed, and believing something to be true that is not).

I have a saying you can't hear if you're always talking. Meaning you can learn if you are always speaking, making bold statements and positions based on minimal knowledge and lack of study and information.

After all of these professionals have taken the time to try to assist you for you still not being able to comprehend it (which no one expects you to do yet without study, research and experience) and make such inaccurate statements from a perception of fact, is indeed annoying to many.

My suggestion is rather than thinking you know, come to the realization that you don't or that what you think you know may be incorrect. That would be my first step. Then, once you truly believe and understand that, then and only then will you even be open and at a position to begin to listen and learn from others. You have a rare and unique tool that you have access to some great talented professional performers and their lifetime of knowledge and experience. They are not your peers, they are your elders that you should look up to, respected and realize the opportunity of what they are sharing with you. This was never available to previous generations, so my next piece of advice is to use this unique tool and resource sparingly and wisely.

Next would be stop thinking and relating everything to a magician. Many of us treat mentalism separate and individually as it is and should be. You seem to be focusing on the 5% that you seem to see as similar rather than the 95% that is completely different.

A magician think of tricks, mentalists don't. It's not about the effects, it's about so much more - mentalities, emotion, personal investment, process, impact, authenticness, the experience and much more. It's much more than just the end result. It's not about "look at what I can do", that too is magic, it's much deeper and personal, which is why so many would believe it is real even if you tell them it's not.

You also seem to have a limited understanding that mentalism is mental tricks or effects, when many mentalsist here have regularly done full 90 minute stage shows without a single trick, effect, prop or anything related to magic but with 100% true, real and authentic abilities doing everything legitimately and for real. This again is not in any way magic and is offensive for those that do so to be told by anyone, yet alone a 14 year inexperienced kid, that it is the same as magic.

My last bit of advice you will likely also not understand but it would be this...at your position as a beginner, be careful and wise about who you choose to be influenced by, who you study and who you choose to listen to. Start with the foundational information and the classics (and I don't necessarily mean old stuff). So many of newbies your age are impressed with these newfangled, young hot shots, which while they may or may not be good for mentalism, they are not what you need at this point in your process. Some will get bent out of shape by this but it is true. These young guys that want to be Derren Brown, Peter Turner. Atlas Brookings, etc. have taken their foundational studies and have gone to a specific direction and level. They have grown and evolved to this point and level. That is not for beginners. It is nothing against these guys but hurrying to be like them will only cause you to skip the important and crucial foundational process and levels that is so important and necessary if you sincerely and truly want to learn mentalism. I think even these guys would agree and tell you this themselves. Look down in the for sale section, there are currently 9 Peter Turner items for sale. Is it because they are not any good? No, it is more likely because Peter's advance thinking and level is beyond those that purchased them or that they are not their style. My point is go through the process properly, it will save you time, and probably thousands of dollars, not to mention a ton of frustration.

I'm not sure you'll get this but to me it was worth the time and effort to try to better explain what you seem to be having so much trouble with.

Shhhhh, listen....learn.....study......then slowly jump in and ask questions. It's a much clearer and more enjoyable journey.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
[quote]On May 22, 2014, insight wrote:
Mindpro,

Your definition of a mentalism performance is exclusionary, and I think it is not accurate to say that a performance done one-on-one (such as what Atlas has done with so many for his upcoming Train Tracking) or a performance done on the radio (such as what The Amazing Kreskin, Rich Ferguson, and countless others have done so many times) does not qualify as a "performance". The beauty of our art is that it offers multiple channels of performing. To say that performing for one-person does not qualify as a "mentalism performance" is elementary thinking at best, and exclusionary and divisive at worst. As mentalists, we must all respect each others performance preferences, and it's important to learn from them. After all, the only way that our art can continue to sustain itself and the only way that we, as performers, can continue to grow, is to respect each other and learn from each other. Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
Mike, you are entitled to your opinion, we just disagree. Mentalsim is meant to be performed for a body of people simultaneously. I too do radio to promote my stage shows, I would never in a million years consider these appearances "shows". I know for a fact Kreskin doesn't either. Doing something one on one is not a show, it's just that a one on one personal experience, exactly like a reading. That to me is not performance mentalism. Performing on the fly or casually in a pub is not a "show" or "performance" to me but rather a "check out what I can do" or "let's try a little something", again to me not a performance.

A performance or a show has specific elements and qualities. If they are not present it is not a show or a performance but likely a demonstration. This goes much larger than just with mentalism, as it more widespead. We have a whole youtube generation that thinks just because they record something that they are a performer or an entertainer. They're not, again huge difference.

Those that do such types of "performing" of course think and believe it is performing and entertainment. Most that do the actual type of performing I mentioned (mentalism or otherwise) often will feel the same as I.

Even a strolling entertainer is not doing a show, he is doing a series of one on one or small group of "a little something" and then moving on to do another. They may feel like they are performing or doing a show, but again by definition it is the same as the point I've made.

You can call it elementray if you'd like and if it makes you feel better or somehow justifies it to yourself that's fine, but what is truly elementary is someone that "does a quick little something" on youtube or an ambush on the streets and somehow thinks he is a entertainer.
swamister
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of swamister
Soooooooo...can I do an ACR, but instead of playing card faces, its...and this will blow your mind I'm sure...its got sponge rabbits drawn on them instead..but get this, one rabbit is ever so slightly different from the rest and its that one they initially chose...

but you don't reveal that to the very end, when you reveal a live rabbit that has got a playing card shaved into its fur, and ITS THE CARD THEY WERE MERELY THINKING OF...

if anyone uses that idea, please credit me...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Swamister-

Stop ripping me off- I created that effect in 1979. Smile

Seriously, when are you going to get your real name back? At least tell the guys here who you are and what happened to your other account, so they don't think you're just a newbie here.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Zach, I'm sorry but you don't get it. That was my point earlier, is that when you think you do, you will stop being open to the things that will eventually allow you to actually start to get it.

Statements like "I get it. Magic and mentalism is very different from each other. But when it comes down to it, it is all an illusion. The difference is that mentalism is real seeming, while magic is obviously a trick" and "the only difference between mentalism, and mental magic is the performance" is not just incorrect, but to others it shows your ignorance (not meant as a slam or as in being stupid, but as in being new, uneducated and uninformed, and believing something to be true that is not).

I have a saying you can't hear if you're always talking. Meaning you can learn if you are always speaking, making bold statements and positions based on minimal knowledge and lack of study and information.

After all of these professionals have taken the time to try to assist you for you still not being able to comprehend it (which no one expects you to do yet without study, research and experience) and make such inaccurate statements from a perception of fact, is indeed annoying to many.

My suggestion is rather than thinking you know, come to the realization that you don't or that what you think you know may be incorrect. That would be my first step. Then, once you truly believe and understand that, then and only then will you even be open and at a position to begin to listen and learn from others. You have a rare and unique tool that you have access to some great talented professional performers and their lifetime of knowledge and experience. They are not your peers, they are your elders that you should look up to, respected and realize the opportunity of what they are sharing with you. This was never available to previous generations, so my next piece of advice is to use this unique tool and resource sparingly and wisely.

Next would be stop thinking and relating everything to a magician. Many of us treat mentalism separate and individually as it is and should be. You seem to be focusing on the 5% that you seem to see as similar rather than the 95% that is completely different.

A magician think of tricks, mentalists don't. It's not about the effects, it's about so much more - mentalities, emotion, personal investment, process, impact, authenticness, the experience and much more. It's much more than just the end result. It's not about "look at what I can do", that too is magic, it's much deeper and personal, which is why so many would believe it is real even if you tell them it's not.

You also seem to have a limited understanding that mentalism is mental tricks or effects, when many mentalsist here have regularly done full 90 minute stage shows without a single trick, effect, prop or anything related to magic but with 100% true, real and authentic abilities doing everything legitimately and for real. This again is not in any way magic and is offensive for those that do so to be told by anyone, yet alone a 14 year inexperienced kid, that it is the same as magic.

My last bit of advice you will likely also not understand but it would be this...at your position as a beginner, be careful and wise about who you choose to be influenced by, who you study and who you choose to listen to. Start with the foundational information and the classics (and I don't necessarily mean old stuff). So many of newbies your age are impressed with these newfangled, young hot shots, which while they may or may not be good for mentalism, they are not what you need at this point in your process. Some will get bent out of shape by this but it is true. These young guys that want to be Derren Brown, Peter Turner. Atlas Brookings, etc. have taken their foundational studies and have gone to a specific direction and level. They have grown and evolved to this point and level. That is not for beginners. It is nothing against these guys but hurrying to be like them will only cause you to skip the important and crucial foundational process and levels that is so important and necessary if you sincerely and truly want to learn mentalism. I think even these guys would agree and tell you this themselves. Look down in the for sale section, there are currently 9 Peter Turner items for sale. Is it because they are not any good? No, it is more likely because Peter's advance thinking and level is beyond those that purchased them or that they are not their style. My point is go through the process properly, it will save you time, and probably thousands of dollars, not to mention a ton of frustration.

I'm not sure you'll get this but to me it was worth the time and effort to try to better explain what you seem to be having so much trouble with.

Shhhhh, listen....learn.....study......then slowly jump in and ask questions. It's a much clearer and more enjoyable journey.

Thanks. I will try to figure it out as I study mentalism. (am I spelling that right because my computer says it is wrong?)
Reality is a real killjoy.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
These young guys that want to be Derren Brown, Peter Turner. Atlas Brookings, etc. have taken their foundational studies and have gone to a specific direction and level. They have grown and evolved to this point and level. That is not for beginners. It is nothing against these guys but hurrying to be like them will only cause you to skip the important and crucial foundational process and levels that is so important and necessary if you sincerely and truly want to learn mentalism. I think even these guys would agree and tell you this themselves.

Mindpro is absolutely right, and I happily echo his sentiments. I spent AGES learning at the feet of the masters who came before us. We are lucky to have some of them with us today, and they are good enough to invest their time in sharing their wisdom with those of us who would like to follow their path. What has been said here is excellent advice and it is informed by years and years of experience.

Take your time, learn to respect our art. Respect it. Don't treat it casually or with indifference. Its history is rich and varied and should be appreciated constantly.

And then, when you have grown within it and your thinking has matured, you will know who you are and that knowledge will inform what it is that you want to ultimately communicate to those you perform for.

Best,

Atlas
swamister
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of swamister
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Swamister-

Stop ripping me off- I created that effect in 1979. Smile

Seriously, when are you going to get your real name back? At least tell the guys here who you are and what happened to your other account, so they don't think you're just a newbie here.

i think my highly annoying e.e. cummings-lite writing style is enough to do it...but if not...meh... I don't have a problem being seen as a newbie...

as for the subject of this thread - (and though I write posts about going your own way, treading your own path and experimenting) - I still think you need to completely understand the historical nature of mentalism, how it started, morphed and so on...and be proud of your own education in the field...which you only get by study, listening, sharing, learning and getting on with the classics...then you can go off (and as atlas said) start working out who you are and where you wanna go with it all...

its a language of sorts in a way...you need to know how to communicate it clearly before you can start becoming more and more eloquent and self-expressive...
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Hi Mindpro,

I agree that we can have a difference of opinions when it comes to conditions for what a performance requires. In my opinion, a performance can be done for another person. I respect performers like Atlas, Peter Turner, Rich Ferguson, even Tommy Wonder and countless others who give all of their mind, body, and soul to deliver an absolutely beautiful performance, either to hundreds (or thousands) or even to JUST ONE PERSON. When these professionals do perform for one person, my opinion is that it can be the most beautiful moment of their life for that ONE SPECTATOR. As Peter Turner states, if you are going to spend 5 minutes with one person, make it meaningful for them.

Now, the difference between me and you is the following. I accept the fact that a performance can be done FOR ONE PERSON. Your definiton of a performance stipulates that it must be done for more than one person. By my definition, I can respect the performers such as Atlas, Peter Turner, Rich Ferguson, Tommy Wonder, and others for their performances that were intimate performance for one-person. You, on the other hand, based on your definition, canonot accept these performances and negate them as something other than a performance. Based on the conditions you lay forth, these performances should not be credited as such.

You and I can have our different definitions. But, in my opinion, when you say that, for example, Peter Turner did not PERFORM for another person (when it was a one-on-one performance...yes, I said it...PERFORMANCE!!!), it is disrespectful to him and also to the person that experienced the wonder, the joy, the amazement of that PERFORMANCE (yes, I said it again). In my opinion, Peter Turner did PERFORM for another even when there was no one around but ONE LUCKY PARTICIPANT. Yes, a performance can be done for one-person. Yes, that is a performance. Yes, this is my opinion. But I think it is one shared by all of the established performers. You can continue to define it your way that assumes that a performance must be done for more than one person. I just don't see it that way.

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On May 22, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
[quote]On May 22, 2014, insight wrote:
Mindpro,

Your definition of a mentalism performance is exclusionary, and I think it is not accurate to say that a performance done one-on-one (such as what Atlas has done with so many for his upcoming Train Tracking) or a performance done on the radio (such as what The Amazing Kreskin, Rich Ferguson, and countless others have done so many times) does not qualify as a "performance". The beauty of our art is that it offers multiple channels of performing. To say that performing for one-person does not qualify as a "mentalism performance" is elementary thinking at best, and exclusionary and divisive at worst. As mentalists, we must all respect each others performance preferences, and it's important to learn from them. After all, the only way that our art can continue to sustain itself and the only way that we, as performers, can continue to grow, is to respect each other and learn from each other. Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Mike
Quote:

Mike, you are entitled to your opinion, we just disagree. Mentalsim is meant to be performed for a body of people simultaneously. I too do radio to promote my stage shows, I would never in a million years consider these appearances "shows". I know for a fact Kreskin doesn't either. Doing something one on one is not a show, it's just that a one on one personal experience, exactly like a reading. That to me is not performance mentalism. Performing on the fly or casually in a pub is not a "show" or "performance" to me but rather a "check out what I can do" or "let's try a little something", again to me not a performance.

A performance or a show has specific elements and qualities. If they are not present it is not a show or a performance but likely a demonstration. This goes much larger than just with mentalism, as it more widespead. We have a whole youtube generation that thinks just because they record something that they are a performer or an entertainer. They're not, again huge difference.

Those that do such types of "performing" of course think and believe it is performing and entertainment. Most that do the actual type of performing I mentioned (mentalism or otherwise) often will feel the same as I.

Even a strolling entertainer is not doing a show, he is doing a series of one on one or small group of "a little something" and then moving on to do another. They may feel like they are performing or doing a show, but again by definition it is the same as the point I've made.

You can call it elementray if you'd like and if it makes you feel better or somehow justifies it to yourself that's fine, but what is truly elementary is someone that "does a quick little something" on youtube or an ambush on the streets and somehow thinks he is a entertainer.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Rich Ferguson? Really? The guy who did the This Is Mentalism DVDs? Rip-offs abundant in that set.
I write and edit text.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Seems like you agree that a performance can be done for one person.

quote]On May 23, 2014, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
Rich Ferguson? Really? The guy who did the This Is Mentalism DVDs? Rip-offs abundant in that set. [/quote]
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Just looked up the definition for kicks. read into it what you'd like...

performance |pərˈfôrməns|

an act of staging or presenting a play, concert, or other form of entertainment: Don Giovanni had its first performance in 1787.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On May 23, 2014, insight wrote:
Seems like you agree that a performance can be done for one person.

quote]On May 23, 2014, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
Rich Ferguson? Really? The guy who did the This Is Mentalism DVDs? Rip-offs abundant in that set.

What? I said NOTHING about agreeing OR disagreeing with either of you. No mention about your debate with Mindpro whatsoever.

I was simply commenting on/alluding to, the fact that I find it odd as h*** that anyone would respect Rich Ferguson after he lifted material from so many people.
I write and edit text.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
We obviously need to listen to Bob Freaking Cassidy for the proper attitude and approach of the professional. For the perceptions of the lay audience, however, we should regard the posts of Zach with some respect as he is much closer to the lay perspective than many of us will ever be again.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I've just called the Magic Castle to ask them if they will change my name to Bob Freakin' Cassidy on their program for June 2nd through the 8th.

BTW- if any of you will be in LA at the time and would like to see the show, just let me know.

Good thoughts,

BFC
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Bob, I look forward to it. I'll be working the cellar "Hat and Hare" up there on Fri & Sat. and you can bet I will be there during the week too, to catch the show. Can't wait to see "the man" perform! Am I using the right word? Perform? Smile

Plus, I still wanna buy you that drink!

Salute

Bobby
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Look forward to seeing you, too. I'll be sure to pop down to the Hat and Hare.

Bob
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Right on!
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Mindpro,

What specifically are the 'qualities and elements' that characterize a 'performance' as you mentioned in previous posts?
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Difference Between Mentalism and Mental Magic (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL