The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » ORIGAMI illusion history.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Totally agree with you Eldon and Richard!
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
You are very attentive to details Sorcerer!!! I exactly speak about this....but may be people believe more to your words.For me very strange, prototype Origami illusion ( Doug Henning) have one design,second illusion (David Copperfield) have other design, and after all origami"s almost the same and like D.Henning?
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Sure Serg! Smile As the proud owner of a Gaughan, I'm in love with this prop, so I find all details and variations fascinating.

I've been searching a little more and I'll go a step further:
This different design we are talking about appears at the very first patent and remains at the recently renewed one, but I had never seen it in any of the manufactured props (except DC)

Guess the right thing in this case would go to the source, only Jim Steinmeyer knows all the details and design evolution. I'm sure the story of this illusion could be the matter for a lecture.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
By the way Sorcerer I reviewed the video of D.C. again and again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ElNtH8i7O0 and even find second link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Ua3yFGelo .So I think D.C. version have not bevel on tot,instead have additional step between legs on bottom, and side rails not semi-transparent and little wider then(Henning and all modern).Another design of mirror and mount the casters underneath the legs does not matter.But you are right, I ask from Jim Steinmeyer,i just send message to him now...
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Sorry top bevel...
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
That is correct, Serg. As I mentioned above, no bevel. My understanding is that David requested it this way.
It's all in the reflexes.
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
I'm sure several things influenced David's decision to slightly alter the design of his Origami. 1) He knew that the CAMERA would be critical of the unusual shape of a beveled table (something most of us don't have to worry about). 2) He would have total control of not only lighting, but camera perspective, thus allowing him to increase the size of the "fins" under the table while actually INCREASING the deceptiveness of HIS prop. 3) Aesthetically, the prop is incredible for David. Watch the video again and notice how the lines that attach the "bird perch" to the mirror seem to match the angled lines in his set pieces perfectly... David is a master of this. His prop fit HIM. Plain and simple.

Just my random thought...
Mad Jack
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I just have to share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZizXACXwwwY
-Matt
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2013-02-08 21:47, Matthew W wrote:
I just have to share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZizXACXwwwY

OH MY GOD!!!! That is the biggest knock off of a performance I have ever seen!
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
Wait... That wasn't David Copperfield? Seriously though... I just threw-up in my mouth watching that Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I guess the parachute did not fit on the stage in the theme park.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
serg
View Profile
Elite user
Ukraine
433 Posts

Profile of serg
Believe me I see before about 200 knock off Origami copies, and about 10 exactly like D.C.design( they think,that his illusions look like D.C) But in reality his origami is terrible, and even so should not be called ORIGAMI. By the way this link ....build in China. All this copy (knock off) is very very sad for the illusion art and creator...very embarrassing for this magicians to the audience :-( To many copy in the world....I advise to not even talk about it, it's not interesting to normal people.Lets talk about something good!!! It is precisely point Mad Jack.Wait on answer from Jim Steinmeyer.
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ArielIllusionist
I'm looking for a JG used Origami but in good condition. If anyone knows someone who is selling it, let me know. I would also consider a Wellington. You can email me at rema0612@verizon.net
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I knew that wasnt Copperfield in that video when half his collar fell down flat at the end of the routine!

ArielIllusionist....when you reach 50 posts you will see a "for sale" section. I noticed Taylor Reed has a JG in new condition for sale at 5500.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=79&0
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ArielIllusionist
Thanks videokideo. I think he sold it already. I've been in contact w/him. Yes, I try to post but I'm so busy. But hopefully I will reach that in the near future. Again, if you know someone, would you email me?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » ORIGAMI illusion history.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL